PDA

View Full Version : What is BDSM?

damyanti
10-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Before I begin...I would be extremely grateful if we could keep this on a nice intellectual debate about BDSM level as opposed to digressing into a political debate on female rights and position, because if you do that I swear I am going to puke so hard it will hit you in the face no matter where you live. Keep it personal, no one here will object or judge you for what you do in your own home, but the moment you start talking about the society as a whole and or generalizing all women, my gagging reflex activates.

What is BDSM? I am talking about more than just the meaning of the acronym.

A very good site called Taken in Hand (http://www.takeninhand.com/why.is.bdsm.so.popular) has an interesting article about it...(its an interesting site, but while I like a lot of what he says, I also find a lot of it very stifling and suffocating. )

"Those in the BDSM community have worked tirelessly to develop an ethos that is responsible (anti-abuse, etc.) and acceptable to more conventional folk. This work has been very successful. Whilst most people are not particularly drawn to BDSM themselves, they do not regard those in the BDSM community as mentally ill (any more). To the extent that they know of its existence, most people are aware that BDSM is firmly a part of the liberal tradition rather than a throwback to the bad old days. The BDSM community has successfully argued that BDSM is not a threat to the individual rights we have rightly fought so hard for, it is a sexual kink or lifestyle individuals can legitimately choose. BDSM writers typically stress consent and safety, often advocating the use of a “safeword” when “playing” or in a “scene”. Some devote much space to stressing that the control and dominance expressed in these “scenes” is just pretend, not real. BDSM people are proud of the fact that their forums are open to people of all inclinations and orientations.

BDSM is thus seen as a sexual kink, safe, sane and consensual, non-sexist, nondiscriminatory, an equal opportunities lifestyle, tolerant, inclusive, trendy, thoroughly liberal, and not having an atavistic tendency in sight! All in all, what could possibly upset anyone about BDSM? It meets all the criteria for political correctness.

By comparison, Taken In Hand has a loooooong way to go to achieve the same level of acceptance from the wider community. Taken In Hand casually violates just about every taboo in the book. For a start, whilst Taken In Hand is very much a choice and highly consensual in a deep sense, you won't find the BDSM maxim safe, sane and consensual peppered around this site. Secondly, this site is aimed strictly at those whose preference is for a relationship in which the man is in control of the woman. This is because Taken In Hand is my website, and I am more interested in exploring my own preferences than in toeing the line or winning any popularity contest. So Taken In Hand has been accused of being sexist, discriminatory, old-fashioned, and atavistic. (I don't think it is at all.) And I have been accused of advocating taking away women’s rights, and of avocating even non-consensual “violence against women”. (I'm not.) Taken In Hand folk tend to have little interest in “safewords” and “scenes” (or indeed, in “the scene” or “the lifestyle”), and unlike many in the BDSM community, we stress that the control is real. To some, if it is real, then it is by definition abuse. Is it any wonder then that Taken In Hand triggers a little social disapprobation both from society in general and to an even greater extent from some corners of the BDSM community?

Most people would not want to be part of something likely to attract huge disapprobation so BDSM is the safe option. Moreover, success breeds success, and the more well-known and acceptable BDSM has become, the more likely it has become that anyone interested in relationships in which there is an element of control will investigate BDSM. But not everyone involved in BDSM is at heart BDSM. I myself assumed that I must have BDSM inclinations many years ago, because there was nothing else out there at the time that I knew of. This seems to be a common experience of those who are drawn to Taken In Hand. People try to squeeze themselves into the BDSM shoe, but it doesn’t always fit very well.

One of the reasons I often say that I hate to be put in a box or labelled as being BDSM, DD, D/s, TPE or anything else is that I think that tying oneself down to a particular defined box tends logically to exert pressure upon oneself to become a better fit for the label instead of forging one’s own path. Often, people are very much in the process of exploring their nature and preferences, and evolving a better understanding of these things, and in that case, defining themselves can impede the evolution of the self-knowledge that could be so extremely valuable to them in the long-run. It is much easier to discover and develop your own unique preferences and ideas if you aren't stuck in the mire of a lot of fixed ideas.

BDSM is very good at being inclusive and tolerant in some respects, but I find it terribly rigid and fixed in other respects. Some of the most heated criticism I have had on my article, When rape is a gift, has been from BDSM people. Individuals who consider themselves BDSM have started their own forum on consensual ‘ravishment” because they have been shunned by the BDSM community. Visit any BDSM forum and you will see tedious amounts of arguing about protocol, who may address whom and how, who has been “in the lifestyle” for how long (the implication being that those who have been BDSM for the longest are likely to know more or be more right in their ideas than those who have not), people castigating one another for incorrect form, and lots of stress on how to become “a better submissive”. With its tendency to have quite rigid protocols, assumptions and fixed ideas about how people should interact and what it's all about, BDSM is bound to feel stifling to anyone who wants to explore their own preferences and ideas in this sphere in an unfettered way.

And because BDSM scenes must be ‘pretend’ or ‘just fantasy’ to avoid upsetting the political applecart, a whole rigmarole of jargon and artificial-seeming modes of address and interaction, strange clothing and equipment, and stylised rituals and scenes has developed in BDSM. Even those who do not take the line that the control is just ‘pretend’ have been influenced greatly by these things. These things are not really the point at all, they are merely a way of stressing the consensual and harmless nature of BDSM. If we look at the idea of authority and control in itself, there is nothing in those ideas that necessarily leads to BDSM forms of expression. People of good will can have different preferences.

Some might like one BDSM element but not others. Not all men who want control in a relationship are interested in rules and rituals or making the woman beg or kneel or sit on the floor or eat out of a dog's bowl. Not all men want the woman to call them sir or master or speak in the third person. Not every woman who wants to be under the authority of a man wants to be a BDSM slave, or to wear a BDSM collar, or engage in anything undignified or humiliating, and not all submissive women have a desire to serve.

Lots of different individuals have an interest in relationships in which the man is in control. BDSM people might like highly planned and stylised “scenes”; D/s people might stress the idea of training and service; DD people might stress punishment spanking; and Taken In Hand people might not want to get too fixed on any one way a man can control a woman.

Another effect of the insistence of many in the BDSM community that the control is just pretend, not real, is that logically, that means that to get the same level of intensity and erotic tension as real control can give, much more extreme practices are needed. Thus, BDSM tends to be associated with esoteric sexual kinks and fetishes and ever more rigid protocols and rituals rather than more conventional-seeming or traditional relationships.

Both because of its rather odd culture and despite it, BDSM is and will continue to be popular, and probably a lot more popular than Taken In Hand for many years to come. You might think that BDSM is too liberal for Taken In Hand folk, but in my case at least, you'd be wrong. If anything, BDSM culture is not liberal and tolerant enough! Taken In Hand is by no means for everyone, but if you are a person who is drawn to the idea of male-controlled relationships and you want to be free to explore your interest without rigid prescriptions and proscriptions about how to behave and what to think, you might find Taken In Hand worth a look. "

A friend of mine has another interesting point on it....

A person who plays a villain in the movie is not actually a villain; and if you and your partner play out roles for your mutual enjoyment, it doesn't mean you're being abusive. You and your partner can play out roles in which he is harsh and demanding and you are his sex slave, and this does not mean that either of you actually believe women should be subordinate to men.

submissive - inclined or willing to submit to orders or wishes of others or showing such inclination; "submissive servants"; "a submissive reply"; "replacing troublemakers with more submissive people"

subordinate - belonging to a lower or inferior class or rank; secondary. Subject to the authority or control of another.

What distinction do you make between the two?

I always defined myself as submissive, but not subordinate...though obviously they interlope somewhat.

Flaming_Redhead
10-22-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm popping your topic's cherry! Woo hoo!

For me, BDSM is a lifestyle in which I can engage in alternative sexual practices and relationship dynamics. It's not make-believe or a kinky game to spice up my sex life. I actually do need certain things to truly enjoy sex, and I desire a relationship in which I submit to a man.

I don't really make a distinction between submissiveness and subordination as far as my relationship is concerned. I happen to enjoy having a man as the head of the household. I don't want to be equal. That being said, Taken In Hand makes me nervous. I'm not one of the SSC flag wavers, to each their own, but though I do not wish to be equal, neither do I wish to be treated with disrespect. My place is not below all men, only the one I choose. I do not serve simply for the sake of serving. I serve out of love, and if love is not given in return, I will go elsewhere as I have that right.

Dom Teacher
10-22-2008, 07:52 AM
BDSM has been a personal exploration of everything W/e want. Other's have provided the hardware, W/e create the software to run, to use a programing metaphor; it is O/ur relationship, not anyone else's, though we may learn through one another. It is an adult fantasy land (already I fall into the position that the piece's critique) where we can be who W/e are and who W/e are not.

On the surface it is rope and knife play, deeply probing q&a sessions, pain and torture, diverse role play, confinement, cruelty and compassion, stick and carrot, etc. But on a deeper level, it has been an intimate connection of imagination, soul and Love that no one else can understand. W/e define appropriate Dominance and appropriate submission.

Thank you for posting this article. I want to look deeper into the Taken by Hand movement. While it seems to pitch for an 'authentic BDSM,' it also rejects prescriptions of such a thing. Paradoxes make life fun.

lucy
10-22-2008, 08:18 AM
submissive - inclined or willing to submit to orders or wishes of others or showing such inclination; "submissive servants"; "a submissive reply"; "replacing troublemakers with more submissive people"

subordinate - belonging to a lower or inferior class or rank; secondary. Subject to the authority or control of another.

What distinction do you make between the two?
I think the two are two rather different things. When i hear subordinate i think of an ensign at his first day in the army. He's not there against his free will, but very likely would prefer to be somewhere else.
A submissive on the other hand, at least in a BDSM setting, is submitting on her/his own free will. She/he isn't necessarily of an inferior class or rank.

Otherwise i think the question "what is BDSM?" is extremely difficult to answer. And also very varying from person to person. What my Master and i practise would be probably called "vanilla with a sprinkle of kink" by many members of this board.
I lack the experience (and the age to know what i'm talking about) but i can imagine that people who practised "BDSM" 30 years ago are shaking their heads when they see what's called BDSM these days.
For me personally s in D/s is something i want and need to be really myself. Exploring that part of me is very important right now and where it will lead me i dunno yet and don't worry about either.

When i read that article i couldn't help but think that this "Taken by hand"-thing is just another tag on another small faction of BDSM-folks. I don't really like tags since their bound to not fit me sooner or later when i move forward (or in any direction. But to each his own and if the guy thinks another tag is what the world needs, then be it.

AdrianaAurora
10-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Interesting topic. My own view of bdsm is - I am, to an overwhelming extent, what He has made me. Tristan is conservative politically, but in personal/private matters He is libertarian to the point of anarchy - so we never had anything fixed. Of course it helped I was young and inexperienced and so focussed on Him some called it obsession. He is Dominant, I am submissive - there is no why to beat around that, but rather then have some fixed protocol our approach has been more organic (and more volatile). We basically struggled it out - but I always viewed bdsm as something liberating, that it is whatever we make of it and how we tailor it for ourselves. I have met some wonderful couples that live Taken in Hand lifestyle, and we did talk about it, but it just isn't right fit for us or for myself. I am His wife, His submissive and His equal - I don't know how, but it works. :)

Veridical
10-22-2008, 11:13 AM
(Disclaimer; this is going to be a long, long post. And it is full of my personal opinions and ideas, as well as findings through research.)

A question that will constantly have a myriad of answers because the individuals answering answer with their own perspective. ;)

Thanks for posting this, damyanti. This is another one of those questions that I've spent a lot of time trying to find a 'correct' answer for, when in fact, the only 'correct' answer is what you feel is correct.

To me there is one more category missing from your list. Submissive, subordinate, and slave. Submissive and slave go hand in hand with one another on some level. Unless the slave is completely unwilling. Submissive is the Nature of the person, and slave is the position of the person, in a relationship. Subordinate and submissive sometimes go hand in hand, but not nearly as often. And Subordinate and slave are kind of the same thing, but not entirely.

Now, let me define the terms as I see them.

Slave;
1 : A person held in servitude as the chattel of another.
2 : One that is completely subservient to a dominating influence.

Submissive;
1 : To submit.
Submit;
1 a: To yield oneself to the authority or will of another. : surrender b: To permit oneself to be subjected to something.

Subordinate
1: Placed in or occupying a lower class, rank, or position. : inferior
2: Submissive to or controlled by authority.

Now, all of these seem to go hand in hand at some point or another. To be submissive one must first yield to submit. To be a Subordinate one is placed under authority of another individual. To be a slave one is completely subservient. But there IS a difference. Wanna know what it is?

Choice.

In this lifestyle, one chooses which of the three they wish to be. You chose to be submissive, subordinate, or slave to your Master/Owner. Sometimes you choose two, sometimes you choose one, sometimes you choose to be all three. Your choice as a submissive/subordinate/slave dictates the kind of play you do. After all, any Master worth their salt will not force you to do something you don't feel comfortable doing, unless you specifically say you want to do it regardless of how you feel because it is something you've wanted to try.

If you have no limits except those which your Master places, then you are a slave.

If you have set limits that you do not want to cross, you are a submissive.

If you have set limits but leave them to your Master's discretion, as in, you will consider crossing them after much preparation, you are a Subordinate.

BDSM for me can be broken down into these three fundamental categories of what the bottom can choose to be. These fundamental categories shape us as individuals, and lets the Top know where our lines are. I wouldn't suggest anyone new to the lifestyle to be a slave, just as I wouldn't suggest anyone with self-esteem issues to subject themselves to severe verbal degradation. It can cause severe harm, and be not pleasurable for the bottom, and not pleasurable for the top.

There is also the physical aspect of what defines BDSM. Spanking, plain and pleasure intertwined, slapping, restraining, etc. But most people even remotely curious about BDSM understand these aspects of it. Then that bears the question of what if a person is mentally a slave, but physically their body cannot handle the amount of pain the top wishes to inflict upon it.

Therein lies what defines the differences between Tops. There are no pretty words, except maybe Sadist and Dominant, but there are a myriad of different categories a Top can be placed in. I'll touch base on three fundamentals.

Physical
Physical Tops prefer to inflict their dominance on a bottom through physical means. Whips, physical restraints, and other things that impose upon the corporeal body are what gets a Physical Top off. The mental aspects one feels with this kind of Top is a direct result of the physical dictation of his/her actions. They may enjoy a bit of mental BDSM, but not nearly as much as they enjoy beating your ass.

Mental
Mental tops are not physical beings. They restrain you by telling you to stay still. They prefer to get into their bottoms' head, and wreak havoc on their psyche rather than on their body. Nothing gets a mental top off more than to see their bottom fall right into their trap. Mental tops tell you to masturbate to the point of orgasm, and then stop, never going over that edge till they are satisfied you have been tortured enough. These kind of tops don't usually inflict physical pain, but prefer mental restraints on behavior.

Verbal
Verbal tops are all about letting you know your place, and that it's lower than them. Verbal tops are insanely different than Mental and Physical, and more rare, because most people find verbal BDSM to be akin to verbal abuse more so than the other two. Verbal tops degrade you, debase you, and batter at your self-esteem with harsh words that are usually untrue. If you, as a bottom, don't see that their words are simply used in place of a whip or rope, then you will fall prey to the downward spiral of self-esteem. Verbal tops are the ones that have to, in my opinion, be the most careful, because physical pain heals over time. Harsh words from a lover that strike home a little too much take a lot longer to heal.

These three base categories are generally incorporated into each other(IE; A top has a submissive tied down with a vibe in her cunt, telling her not to cum and telling her that she's a dirty, filthy whore for enjoying this). Most times, because of how complex a creature we are, tops will incorporate all three of the fundamentals into a scene. Generally speaking a top gets off, though, on one of the three. He/she may enjoy all three, but there's the one aspect that gets them going more than others. Like bottoms, it's up to the top to choose which of the raw categories he/she is.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my buck fifty. I enjoyed writing it for you, and I hope you enjoy reading it, even if it is fairly long winded. :D

damyanti
10-22-2008, 11:33 AM
In this lifestyle, one chooses which of the three they wish to be. You chose to be submissive, subordinate, or slave to your Master/Owner. Sometimes you choose two, sometimes you choose one, sometimes you choose to be all three. Your choice as a submissive/subordinate/slave dictates the kind of play you do. After all, any Master worth their salt will not force you to do something you don't feel comfortable doing, unless you specifically say you want to do it regardless of how you feel because it is something you've wanted to try.

I think its more along the line of finding the right fit, the right balance and enjoying the journey getting there and the exploration of it. Do we really choose what to be? (Yes, we choose our Dominant partner and whether or not to submit...and in what way and how...but thats not what I am talking about.) I don't quite "get" subordinate, so maybe we choose that...but submissive/slave...do we choose that anymore than we choose to be heterosexual/homosexual? And where do switches fit in?

just rambling

p.s. I love long posts :)

Veridical
10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I think its more along the line of finding the right fit, the right balance and enjoying the journey getting there and the exploration of it. Do we really choose what to be? (Yes, we choose our Dominant partner and whether or not to submit...and in what way and how...but thats not what I am talking about.) I don't quite "get" subordinate, so maybe we choose that...but submissive/slave...do we choose that anymore than we choose to be heterosexual/homosexual? And where do switches fit in?

just rambling

p.s. I love long posts :)

I was more so meaning the choice between which term you wish to use to refer to yourself. If your nature is to be a slave, then you will no more be able to change that than change the weather. If you deny it for too long it becomes an aching hunger than burns with the fury of one thousand suns.

Switches are a variable between the slave/submissive/subordinate and the Physical/Mental/Verbal. They are still fundamentally based on these categories, but they utilize more of them then the average bear. Again, a switch chooses which category to refer to themselves as, and the basic principle behind my initial post is still valid even for them. ;D

The choice of which term we use to define ourselves as a bottom or as a top will determine how others of the opposite end of the equation will view us. That's why we must take care to choose the truthful one, as oppose to the one we want to be true.

Dom Teacher
10-22-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't quite "get" subordinate, so maybe we choose that...but submissive/slave...do we choose that anymore than we choose to be heterosexual/homosexual? And where do switches fit in?
COLOR][/B]

You bring up a great question of essentialism (W/e are what W/e are because W/e are... sumus ergo sumus) and constructivism (W/e are what we desire to become).

Are you submissive because you are by nature, or by choice? Am I Dominant because that is who I am or because that is how I have constructed myself through my experiences?

In the nature v. nurture debate, which is really what this is, both extremes are naive, in My view. But the middle of the fence is naive and fallicious, too. No one comes into the world desiring the aspects of the lifestyle, but they do scratch that itch inside of U/s that evades description.

denuseri
10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Is there any reason why the answer to the "I am this way becuase I was born to be this way" and the "I am this way becuase I choose to be this way" question (for i disagree that it is a dilema) cannot be: ......BOTH?

For me it is I choose to be that which I was born to be. I am a submissive that has chosen to subordinate myself to my owner's will completely so in effect I am his slave.

I place the greatest trust in our love for each other. If I did not trust him so completely I would never dream to make the choice to fully be what I feel like in my heart I was born to be.

I say born becuase I have allways despite whatever else has happened (and believe you me if anyone has ever deserved to possess a " get out of the bdsm scene free card" due to bad experiences happening ,it is me) I have allways returned to this way of life.

Compelled it has seemed allmost as if by an unseen force just as much as it has been a consious desicsion.

For others not so simple perhaps. Lord knows I spent many years figuring it out for myself.

I choose to embrace that which I am. In that I have been lucky.

rsjankowski
10-23-2008, 06:25 PM
the only distinction i would make is that a submissive is one who basically is just that, while a subordinate is someone who takes orders and does them, much like your typical wage slaves in the workforce, the submissive is one who does his or her thing in her lifestyle while a subordinate might be in that position just during the work hours. although there might be a mix between the two in some peoples life, specially the tpe types. i am a dominant in my lifestyle, but while at work, i'm subordinate to the supervisor in what he tells me needs to be done so work can be productive. though while it is rare that i even (feel) submissive in life, extremely rare and they don't last long, i am still subordinate to the responsibilites of just everyday living.

damyanti
10-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Does submissive necessarily has to be subordinate?

Guest102708
10-25-2008, 08:58 AM
I do not believe submissive means subordinate nor do I believe they are the same. Through out my childhood I was forced to be submissive (children should be seen and not heard)to my mother and twin brother. In my military career I was subordinate, acting on/out the orders of my C.O. or anyone in a higher pay grade. So in that respect you would thing that in my relationship I would be the submissive/subordinate. Nurtured to be passive and submit to the will of others. It's directly the opposite. I am the Dom and she is the slave/submissive. Nature vs Nurture, I believe, has nothing to do with a BDSM relationship.

denuseri
10-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Sematics Damyanti for me the terminology one uses to identify themselves is just that "terminology".

If you are submissive than you are. If you subordinate yourself to another than you do.

It doesnt define me, i define it.

damyanti
10-25-2008, 01:31 PM
LOL, I am still trying to figure out what I am and to what extent. As people learn, people change...I am also in the process of experimenting with some things, that not so long ago I would have sworn I couldn't do. I am not trying to fit myself into some predetermined mold, just trying to find out what fits me.

I especially like psychological aspects of BDSM, its something that interests me very much...and when a topic interests me so much, I have a tendency to try to learn about it as much as I can and ponder on it...until I can reach satisfactory conclusion and let it be what it is.

Right now I am trying to pinpoint the correlation between submissive and subordinate. When I say that I am submissive, but that I am not a submissive person...the reaction I usually get is "you are not (real) submissive".

Before coming to the Library I never equated submission to subservience.....but I am reexamining that now, because sadly terminology matters. Thus my question...Does submissive necessarily means subordinate?

denuseri
10-26-2008, 08:25 AM
AHHH what "is" is,, or for that matter what is a "submissive" in bdsm as opposed to submission in the vanilla world.

Honestly the answer to that question is going to depend on you and your relationship to your dominant more than anything else.

Platonic truth aside, you ultimately must decide on your own world view, and that begins in your own heart.

I think you will find; if you can listen to it's song and embrace it, you will find your way with more harmony than strife.

Of course thats the hard part.

From my own experience in some relationships I have had: being submissive was indeed sadely equated with being subordinate or beneath another in a litereral sence, in the sence that one is looked down upon or treated as though one isnt of the same value as the dominant etc, even sometimes treated lower than an animal in rare cases.

that is until I found joy and freedom in the collar of my Owner and now Husband from such misguilded presumptions that didnt include the strong spiritual aspects of our current partnership were turned on thier proverbial heads

he has showed me that alltough I submit and do very often place myself in a subordinate position (ie under his will) that I still am cherished, in reality more cherrished than if i did not,,that it doesnt make me a "lower" order of person,in fact quite the opposite

he has showed me that my value is indeed greater than it would have been before I submitted, he places my value even above his own in that sence and I place his above mine, when we both value the other greater than our self, together we sing the song of love and we each thrive. Then we find harmony.

My world view happens to compliment my lifestyle, but it took me many years to shed the influence of the one for the other. It was a long time coming before I could accept the truth that what the vanilla society would have me swallow was against my own hearts nature. From my hearts perspective, what the vanilla world would have me do was live a life of lies.

Spirited girls are often told such things as what I hear you say others have told you. That you are not submissive enough etc etc.

Its my experience that its a common way of a less dominant person to explain how they are not able to dominante you, they resort to such tactics as placing the blame on you as opposed to themselves becuase they are in fact the weaker ones

you burst thier little ego since they call themselves a dom and you dont subordinate yourself to thier will, so they think your behavior is bad etc

That just means you are not submissive enough for them to dominate (wicked evil grins).

It doesnt mean you are not submissive enough to be dominated.

It takes great strength to dominate a strong submissive.

And by strength I dont mean brute force, I mean strength of will and character. My owner often says the most dominant never need resort to any plebian use of physical force to exert dominion in harmony with thier submissive. They work like a slowly rising pool of calm, patient and ever vigilent, eventually showing thier submissive that she need not drown at all if she will but let him help her swim.

When you sence that in a dominant of suficient quantity and quality you will feel it in your heart.

The only person you need to worry about serving or being subordinte to is your own dominant and to do that with joy you need only conquer yourself.

TwistedTails
10-26-2008, 10:45 AM
BDSM may have become an acceptable "kink" in recent years, but it is still Bondage/Discipline Domination/Submission Sadism/Masochism when broken down. I checked out the site you speak of and find it to be pretty basic DS (with lots of vanilla flavoring). I also find it to be fairly SSC while my preference runs towards RACK.

I was mildly annoyed by the implication that my lifestyle is all "pretend" and the clothing "strange". But, I support thier right to believe that. I see the sites premise as another box people want to fit me into and as with all previous boxes presented to me, I refuse to get in.

That said, The site looks good, has a active discussion forum and seems to be doing some good for those people who find it a good fit.