PDA

View Full Version : Should Ripping Stop For 2 Days??

mkemse
10-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Barack Obamam is going to visit his Grandmother in Hawaii, who raised him, who is in very ill health and is dying,and last report is NOT expect to live. While he halts his campaiginig for these 2 days to visit her,the question is: Out of respect for her, should the Critisms of him stop while he tends to this serious Family matter with is Grandmothers Health for 2 days??

Ragoczy
10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
No, I don't think so.

Regardless of the circumstances, the man's a candidate for President of the United States and the leadership of 300-million people, as well as having significant impact and influence on the world in general through that position. We're two weeks away from the election to decide that -- it's not practical to turn off the campaigns, nor is it fair to the undecided voters who might glean some nuggets from the chaff that'll be spewed during that time.

I'd like to say, sure, that's the right thing to do. It'd be nice. But the nice, right thing on a personal-level isn't the responsible thing at that level of politics. The President has to be able to serve the people, even when confronted with personal issues -- and in a campaign, the people are served by the campaigning.

Now, for a sitting President, I think differently -- assuming no national or international crisis, yes, there should be a respectful cessation of rhetoric in a situation like that, but a sitting President in that situation isn't leaving the citizens facing a critical decision in two weeks.

Ragoczy
10-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Let me add, though, that anyone who makes a single joke or negative comment about the man's grandmother or her situation should be strung up by his testicles and whapped like a pinata.

mkemse
10-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Let me add, though, that anyone who makes a single joke or negative comment about the man's grandmother or her situation should be strung up by his testicles and whapped like a pinata.

On this I could NOT agree more, you may not like Obama, but leave his Grandmother out of it

Kuskovian
10-22-2008, 07:16 PM
I seriously doubt all of Barry Obama's negative add's are going to stop while he is away.

I just saw three of them over the past hour.

He is campaigning as much as ever aparently.

I am certian he will use the situation to his advantage at any rate

hopperboo
10-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I seriously doubt all of Barry Obama's negative add's are going to stop while he is away.

I just saw three of them over the past hour.

He is campaigning as much as ever aparently.

I am certian he will use the situation to his advantage at any rate
This is where I stand also.

DesertDom
10-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Barack Obamam is going to visit his Grandmother in Hawaii, who raised him, who is in very ill health and is dying,and last report is NOT expect to live. While he halts his campaiginig for these 2 days to visit her,the question is: Out of respect for her, should the Critisms of him stop while he tends to this serious Family matter with is Grandmothers Health for 2 days??

When McCain halted his campaign to try and get the process moving a bit around the economic issue, did the negative attacks on him stop during that time?

Come on, politics is politics, election day is not being pushed back 2 days, why would they stop?

mkemse
10-23-2008, 10:18 AM
When McCain halted his campaign to try and get the process moving a bit around the economic issue, did the negative attacks on him stop during that time?

Come on, politics is politics, election day is not being pushed back 2 days, why would they stop?

Yes both sides stopped negative add and attcked for 2-3 days

DesertDom
10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes both sides stopped negative add and attcked for 2-3 days

I was asking more in a rhetorical way than anything else. When McCain stopped his campaign ( which was in effect beginning a campaign of a different style), CNN and other "unbiased" news agencies began attacking him for inserting himself into the negotiating process and stopping his campaign. And of course, obama officials were right there to offer their opinions on whether it was wise to stop campaigning or not. A very effective, subtle way of campaigning during the interlude.

If you believe campaigning stopped during that short period of time, I've got some prime ocean front property along the Colorado River in the Sonoran desert to sell you. :)

Logic1
10-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Since neither of them nor their collegues knows any better than smearing eachother then why not. Keep at it. I personally it is unworthy anybody running for political office anywhere but each country to his/her own :p

Muskan
10-24-2008, 10:28 AM
This may be a bit uncomfortable but it warrants pointing out. Obama made this brief video appearance to talk about his Grandmother, spinning it somewhat into a character/judgment issue: "I didn't want to make the same mistake twice." That's because he said his Mother died before he was able to get back to see her.

Also keep in mind Obama used his Mother's illness for a commercial on health care:

My mother died of cancer at 53. In those last painful months, she was more worried about paying her medical bills than getting well.

- and has invoked her name repeatedly with regard to his book.

"I think sometimes that had I known she would not survive her illness, I might have written a different book - less a meditation on the absent parent, more a celebration of the one who was the single constant in my life," he wrote in the preface to his memoir, "Dreams From My Father."

Now Obama's Mother was diagnosed with both ovarian and uterine cancer in 1994.

In 1994, Ann Durham returned to Hawaii to be near her widowed mother after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer and uterine cancer. A year later, while son Barack Obama was making his first run for political office, Ann Durham died.

She didn't pass until November of 1995.

Ann died on November 7, 1995 at age 52.

Obama wasn't running for anything the whole time she was dying. He wasn't elected until 1996 a full year after her death.

Obama was elected to the Illinois Senate in 1996

Obama didn't "launch" anything until 1995 at the home of Bill Ayers.

The prognosis for ovarian cancer remains poor to this day.

Obama paints himself as this empathic figure. Yet, we know he has a step-brother living in a hut in Kenya, or wherever. And his Mother lay dying for almost if not a full year without a visit from her son - and now he trots her out in commercial because she was fighting with insurance companies?

Doesn't that bother anyone? It doesn't add up to someone who cares about anyone but himself if you ask me.

My mother died of cancer at 53. In those last painful months, she was more worried about paying her medical bills than getting well.

And this man is the guy who is supposed to care about health care issues for everyone else? You're kidding me right? A Harvard grad and a lawyer and he lets his Mother lay dying in pain and worry for a year without so much as a visit?