PDA

View Full Version : Branding

Jones, Nikka
07-21-2004, 11:07 PM
My boyfriend F and I will be married this fall and to mark this once-in-a-lifetime occasion, I want to do something really special that will stay only between us two. I was thinking about having his initials branded unto my skin but I have no idea how to do this cleanly and safely.

If anyone has any experience or information on the matter please let me know. I have heard from some sources that the type of burn a branding causes is not even painful, as the brand needs to be so hot that the nerve endings will actually vaporize on contact. Is this true? If not, I would also like to find out what are the most painful places for such a procedure, as I would like to offer my sweetheart the gift of a truly extreme experience.

AndrewBlack
07-22-2004, 04:29 AM
Wow, what a fantastic idea! I know reverie53 has been branded but he hasn't posted for some time, you could try and contact him.

le forgeron
07-22-2004, 05:41 AM
I have heard from some sources that the type of burn a branding causes is not even painful, as the brand needs to be so hot that the nerve endings will actually vaporize on contact. Is this true?

And you think your skin/body won't swell after ?
If it's hot enough to vaporize skin, does it stop when reaching the bones ?

There is hot branding and cold branding. If your research does not find out about Carbonic Ice and Liquid Nitrogen, you did not search enough. And you're in danger, IMHO.

If not, I would also like to find out what are the most painful places for such a procedure, as I would like to offer my sweetheart the gift of a truly extreme experience.

Ok, what about a wedding-tattoo ?
what's your feelings ?

What if the most painful place is also the preferred place of your SO, and it ends up totally destroyed/devastated/ugliest on earth and beyond ?

I would recommend a serious reality check first.

redEva
07-22-2004, 06:38 AM
You are magnificent as always in the way you are willing to show your submission and belonging.

Branding is wonderful way to express your commitment (IMHO). I have been looking into it and first thing that you have to ask your self – how do you heal? How does your skin takes to scabs and marks?

Don’t kid yourself! No matter where you put it, and no matter how hot – it will hurt bad – it is burn. If you decide you do want to do it, find a professional salon and have it done professionally. They do branding with soldering iron, but all I saw of that method, did not impress me – it looks smudged and very thick, sort of clunky. If it was me – I would opt for classic iron, but still…. Go and check how they look after they healed. One girl I know attempted marking with home made iron (her “Master” did it himself) and iron looked really nice – small and graceful. She ended up with some smouldered burn mark – nothing to be proud off. Still, knowing you, this is something you most likely put your mind to, so …. :D from what I hear the most painful place would be your inner thigh!

Good luck dear, just … do look around and try to talk to ppl – I found chats for body mods and branding and people that say they have experience (no one ever said it does not hurt or I would have few myself by now hehe)

If you play it right, and for a fee – I’m sure you can find professional who would be willing to do it in a scene sort of a way … like in your dungeon or so… which would be my preference if I was in your shoes. Also, being securely tied for the procedure could be nice experience and helpful – as it would ensure that you do not move and ruin the brand. Plan to have some time off afterwards – as you want it to heal properly. Maybe we manage to get e.e. norcod’s attention in this thread – I’m sure he could give few good words of advice – as to what salve to use – as you do not want to use anything that will attempt to prevent scaring …

slavelucy
07-22-2004, 08:03 AM
I would recommend a serious reality check first.

*raises an eyebrow*

i appreciate that it is a potentially risky area and you are voicing concern for a fellow member, but i think that's a little harsh. In posting here, i'd say Nikka WAS getting a 'reality check' as you put it, in that she's trying to find out information on the subject; which seems fairly sensible to me.

As for the actual question, i have no knowledge or experience of branding, so have nothing to add other than be sure to check it all out prior to any action. It certainly makes a change from the usual 'pre-wedding decisions'...flowers or balloons, top hats or none, branding or no branding :D

sl

Lord Douche
07-22-2004, 08:10 AM
It certainly makes a change from the usual 'pre-wedding decisions'...flowers or balloons, top hats or none, branding or no branding :D
...how many metres of tightly bound rope can be hidden under the wedding gown... ;)
"I've heard of hiding from the groom before the wedding, but from your maid? I need to help you dress!" ... "Just a minute! Damn these knots..."

I know they use Liquid Nitrogen to 'burn' off warts and associated things now. In my non-medical opinion it's probably safer too. Less chance of burning down the house, though Liquid Nitrogen might be harder to come by than a match and some carefully crafted metal.
LD

slavelucy
07-22-2004, 08:24 AM
...how many metres of tightly bound rope can be hidden under the wedding gown... ;)
"I've heard of hiding from the groom before the wedding, but from your maid? I need to help you dress!" ... "Just a minute! Damn these knots..."

I know they use Liquid Nitrogen to 'burn' off warts and associated things now. In my non-medical opinion it's probably safer too. Less chance of burning down the house, though Liquid Nitrogen might be harder to come by than a match and some carefully crafted metal.
LD

LOL! Yes, very good LD.

Ah, now, liquid nitrogen is something i do have experience of. i used to suffer from warts around one of my finger nails *does a witchy grimace*...and my GP suggested i try liquid nitrogen. i find it difficult to put the pain of it into words to be honest, it was blinding agony, so bad that i didn't even scream, i was just shocked into silence. Now, it's worth bearing in mind that i was fourteen years old and whilst i was starting to experiment with BDSM, i wasn't into pain. Having said that, i am still a right baby with any pain not related to Ds. The doctor also later told me that he'd 'forgot' to give me the painkillers i was supposed to take before the appointment. It may also be worth mentioning that the area was sore to start with and he had just ripped out the nail. :eek: i'd say this is countered however by the difference in sensitivity between the hands/fingers and inner thigh (or similar).

So, the upshot of all this...well...it's a pain that has never faded with time (as in, the memory of it), as most pains seem to do, but, from what i know of you (Nikka), i think you could probably take it, depending on how long the procedure would take etc.

This isn't much help in terms of the actual branding, i know, sorry.

*goes for a lie down having recounted the liquid nitrogen story*

sl

AndrewBlack
07-22-2004, 09:11 AM
"It certainly makes a change from the usual 'pre-wedding decisions'...flowers or balloons, top hats or none, branding or no branding "

ROFL lucy!

To me liquid nitrogen has not got the same BDSM appeal as a red hot piece of metal to mark skin with, it's a bit too 'doctor' for me. If a brand left a nice neat, well demarcated mark like a tattoo I think I'd find that more appealling too. If it were me, I think I'd go for the tattoo. I'm very interested in any more info anyone digs up on real branding though.

Jones, Nikka
07-22-2004, 09:27 AM
...There is hot branding and cold branding. If your research does not find out about Carbonic Ice and Liquid Nitrogen, you did not search enough. And you're in danger, IMHO...I would recommend a serious reality check first.

Merci, monsieur leforgeron, for your concern. And yes, I am doing more research but I also decided to put the question here in the forum, as I have always benefited from the great advice of fellow members.

Branding is wonderful way to express your commitment (IMHO). I have been looking into it and first thing that you have to ask your self – how do you heal? How does your skin takes to scabs and marks?

Good point redEva, I had not considered that. In my case my skin does not mark or scar very easily, so I guess the brand would have to be preety deep to be permanent. I also know it can not be a very small or delicate character as the skin will contract when healing and will deform the burn.
I think a lot more research into this will be needed.

Jones, Nikka
07-22-2004, 09:38 AM
...It certainly makes a change from the usual 'pre-wedding decisions'...flowers or balloons, top hats or none, branding or no branding :D

LOL! :D
That was good slavelucy. The funny thing is that my mother keeps insisting that she will help me make every decision in planning the wedding. Oh God, if she only knew!

...how many metres of tightly bound rope can be hidden under the wedding gown...

As for my maid of honour, Lord Douche, she is one of the few people that know the extent of my relationship to F. To top it all, she works in the movie industry, and when she first heard we were engaged she asked if our wedding would have a Roman slave market theme. "I need to reserve the props is that is the case" she said.

Dslave
07-22-2004, 09:50 AM
One other point of interest... I have had third degree burns on my body and they are very susceptible to airborne stuff so you need to not only be researching how to do it but what to do afterwards or you could end up with all sorts of bad things happening. Burns are pretty serious and especially if you are talking about deeply penetrating burns. You need to SERIOUSLY check into aftercare. I would strongly recommend getting ahold of some sterile bandages and some silver sulfdiazine cream (though, I believe it is prescription only so not sure how you do that) before you do anything.

MrJerseyGuy
07-22-2004, 12:44 PM
My first wife wanted me to get her name tattooed on my body. I told her...maybe on our 50th wedding anniversary. It was a good choice!

Mobius
07-22-2004, 02:00 PM
You can remove a tatue but I do not think you can remove a Branding. I of course hope your wedding is eternal and forever but you know what happens. Please be sure of this. I do not think it is such a good Idea.

Please be carefull :)

Lord Douche
07-23-2004, 06:31 AM
As for my maid of honour, Lord Douche, she is one of the few people that know the extent of my relationship to F. To top it all, she works in the movie industry, and when she first heard we were engaged she asked if our wedding would have a Roman slave market theme. "I need to reserve the props is that is the case" she said.
Now that would be a wedding that might attract a bit more than just friends and family ;) Just tell me where and when! :D
LD

Finding_Fantasy
07-23-2004, 10:47 AM
I had a friend (online) who was branded for her Master a few years back. It actually wnet quite well for her. The main thing is to treat it like any other burn to avoid infections. That is what she advised (back then)...not that I was thinking about it.

They actually have people who do the brandings professionally just like any other body modification though they are bit tougher to find than your average tattoo artist or body piercer. I wish I could be of more help, but she lived in San Diego which might be a little further than you are willing to travel. If you want, I may be able to track her down and see what advise she has to give.

albear
07-23-2004, 07:23 PM
How about etching? It's something I was reading about a while ago. Apparantly it's similar to scarification, essentially a scar. It's supposed to be more precise than branding, so you could have a more intricate or delicate design. Rings of Desire (http://www.ringsofdesire.com/etching.html) have some good info on it, and how to care for it.

e.e. norcod
07-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Apologies to all my friends for my meager presence on these precints the last couple of months but moving from the South Coast to the North Coast has taken its toll.

About branding. Thermal burns (hot and cold) is an area that I am unfortunately all to familiar with professionally. All too many years of my life have been wrapped up in the consequences of and treatment of burns, generally in children. Perhaps I am too emotionally involved, even today, to give good advice. Branding is a variety of third degree burn inflicted with a hot piece of metal. It is best left as a drunken fraternity stunt engaged in by stupid adolescent males.

Go with a tatoo. It can be removed if at a later time you want to be rid of it. Removing the residua of a third degree burn (which a brand is) would require sophisticated reconstructive surgery. The guys and gals who repair tissue scarred by burns of this sort would rather spend their time and effort helping rebuild children crippled by fire.

Some sorts of exteme BDSM acts are best left to fiction. Our minds are the most awesome erotic organ ever developed. The plasticity of our minds allow us to explore erotic concepts that we could (and should) not actually experience in reality. Let us never confuse our erotic fantasies with reality and thereby cause injury that will ultimately have to either be lived with, or repaired. There is too much suffering in the world that we need to make right, too many injured children to be healed. Let us not add to the work load.

Jones, Nikka
07-23-2004, 10:09 PM
...The guys and gals who repair tissue scarred by burns of this sort would rather spend their time and effort helping rebuild children crippled by fire...
...Some sorts of exteme BDSM acts are best left to fiction. Our minds are the most awesome erotic organ ever developed. The plasticity of our minds allow us to explore erotic concepts that we could (and should) not actually experience in reality. Let us never confuse our erotic fantasies with reality and thereby cause injury that will ultimately have to either be lived with, or repaired. There is too much suffering in the world that we need to make right, too many injured children to be healed. Let us not add to the work load.

Thank you very much for your advice, e.e.norcod. When you put it like that, well, it is a lot easier to disengage the erotic motor that sometimes seems to drive my every thought. I guess the word 'children' is what helped change my mind. I am a painslut. I am also trying to be a responsible painslut. And I will carefully consider your words.

Katmandu
07-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Well, someone DID mention we were awaiting your response, ee norcord....Many thanks for stepping forth. Although, I was curious about a more graphic physical description, than a psychological one, since I find myself rather interested in this topic. Well said enough, though.

Nikka, I could not respond myself, as I know of none who have experience (including me, or is it "I"?), and I wished not to taint your thoughts with opinions of my own on such a serious topic..... :o

Dslave
07-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Glad you posted, e.e and being on the other end of the spectrum (having experienced both chemical and natural heat burns over 5% of my body and having to stay in a burn unit for over a month for the reconstruction you speak of) I fully understand and comprehend what you are saying. Though, in all fairness to the original poster, it is an individual decision and as long as you are an adult you have the right to make that decision, either way and with regards to the consequences. I would only say that you need to do your research (in depth)... prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best... if you choose to do something permanent such as branding or scarification.

redEva
07-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Thank you for posting e.e.norcod. As always voice of reason and caution, even though I have to admit being a tad disappointed … like Katmandu I was hoping for more hands on “how to safely and for best results” if one decides to go on with it.

Albear, that etching sounds really interesting, thanks for link!

e.e. norcod
07-24-2004, 09:58 PM
I am glad that I cast some thoughts for consideration upon the waters. Having said what I did let me offer some alternate options. How about a prenuptual caning?

Perhaps Nikka in seeking a commerative painfest should consider the following. At an appropriate interval before the event the bride to be should present herself to a panel of her peers. They will order her to disrobe to a degree sufficient to expose her nether regions. They will bind her four extremities upon a carpenter's horse such that no matter how much she struggles she cannot escape her fate. Then an implement will be chosen - perhaps a rattan can, or a switch trimmed from a resilient hardwood, or maybe a plastic or fiberglass rod - with which to chastise our friend. This will not be a casual punishment resulting in a few red marks upon the buttocks. This will be the serious infliction of pain resulting in bruises that stretch from side to side and from the iliacs to half way down the thighs. Nikka may need to experience what it feels like to have the bleeding of lacerated skin staunched with vinegar.

It is not that I am opposed to exploring the relationship between pain, the loss of control inherent in bondage and erotic arousal. But I believe that the complexities of our kinks can be examined without resorting to scenerios that cause damage that is difficult to repair. I suspect that Nikka has not sufficiently experienced the ultimate spectrum of pain that can be inflicted with the cane, switch or whip, slowly and properly yielded. Do not venture lightly into the truely dark side of eroticism before you have fully explored that which can be done without causing irreversible damage.

Too often we committ ourselves to something that seems thrilling but in reality is damaging without having fully examined the spectrum of stimulation that is available to us at reasonable risk.

Katmandu
07-25-2004, 11:38 AM
*Stands up clapping*
Bravo, Sir. Such a pleasure to hear your thoughts! However, methinks our sweet Nikka was looking for a more 'permanent' show of dedication to her fiance, with whom she has already and always has explored the realm of pain and pleasure that is BDSM. The pain issue, as it were, was merely to be a side benefit. So, with that in mind, anyone else have ideas on "what" and "how" Miss Nikka can mark herself for her beloved?

slavelucy
07-25-2004, 11:56 AM
*Stands up clapping*
Bravo, Sir. Such a pleasure to hear your thoughts! However, methinks our sweet Nikka was looking for a more 'permanent' show of dedication to her fiance, with whom she has already and always has explored the realm of pain and pleasure that is BDSM. The pain issue, as it were, was merely to be a side benefit. So, with that in mind, anyone else have ideas on "what" and "how" Miss Nikka can mark herself for her beloved?

You sound a little like you're hosting a chat show Kats.

Still, as chat shows go, it would make a change from 'my dogs auntie's mothers cat is sleeping with my husband'.

*hears chants of 'Ni-kka, Ni-kka' replacing 'Jerry, Jerry'* LOL

sl

Mobius
07-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Are you sure they are not chanting "Brand her, Brand her"

Jones, Nikka
07-26-2004, 08:23 PM
...At an appropriate interval before the event the bride to be should present herself to a panel of her peers. They will order her to disrobe to a degree sufficient to expose her nether regions. They will bind her four extremities upon a carpenter's horse such that no matter how much she struggles she cannot escape her fate. Then an implement will be chosen - perhaps a rattan can, or a switch trimmed from a resilient hardwood, or maybe a plastic or fiberglass rod - with which to chastise our friend. This will not be a casual punishment resulting in a few red marks upon the buttocks. This will be the serious infliction of pain resulting in bruises that stretch from side to side and from the iliacs to half way down the thighs. Nikka may need to experience what it feels like to have the bleeding of lacerated skin staunched with vinegar.

Mmmm! :)
That sounds really good, e.e.norcod, but like Katmandu stated, I am thinking about something a bit more permanent. Though I still have to try one of them Norcod whips that I read about in Candy amongst the Christians

Thanks for the cheering Mobius.

How about etching?...Apparantly it's similar to scarification, essentially a scar. It's supposed to be more precise than branding, so you could have a more intricate or delicate design.

Thanks for the info, albear. This seems to be the next best thing to branding, although it may require several sessions, given the fact that my skin heals extremely fast and its colour makes scars almost invisible.

Adamoverjules
08-28-2004, 02:23 PM
I was on a flight recently to Florida, and because I always do, I was looking through the SkyMall catalog in the seat pocket. I was actually looking through it for the second time when I noticed this
http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skystore?process=prodDisplay&action=&pid=69645420&catId=null&iscrssl=
If anyone is interested in branding their initials, I'm sure ordering one of those could come in handy. By the way, SkyMall has about 10 items total that are rather commonplace in the vanilla world, but have 'other' uses, so next time your flying, ignore the safety instruction speech, and flip through the SkyMall. It sure makes the flight more fun right jules? ;)

azure_eyes
11-13-2004, 10:57 PM
i, myself, have been researching the idea of branding when my Master came to me and told me on our 2 year anniversary, that he will mark me as his. of course i am scared about getting this done... i asked if i could have a tattoo instead, and he said no.. "I will mark you as mine" so i jumped on the internet and typed in branding bdsm...

while researching i found a couple of links that would be helpful with anyone seriously thinking of getting a brand:

http://www.allaboutelwood.com/body_branding.htm

http://www.annasart.com/bdsmhome/brandinginter.html

http://www.bodyplay.com/ this place actually is a school to learn how to do branding safely

anyways, i will write back after dec and let y'all know how things go with the branding... ~wrinkles nose~

azzie

yellowrose
11-14-2004, 04:42 AM
silver sulfdiazine cream (though, I believe it is prescription only so not sure how you do that) before you do anything.

Silvadine was used often for any type of burn until recently. If you have an allergy to Sulfa drugs you shouldn't use this. Also one of the main reasons for it's decrease in casual use within the hospital was a side effect in some of dangerously lowering white blood cell count.

I mention this as many keep unused prescriptions (not that ~I~ would ever do this, erm right anyway. . .) and Silvadine is thought by many to be safer then it actually is. If you do go through with the branding I hope that you get a doctor to properly treat the burn. Burns are high risk for many complications.

albear
11-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Just another link for branding info: http://encyc.bmezine.com/?Branding

It's short and sweet, but there is a guide to approximate times of healing and stages of healing on there.

whippedcream
11-21-2004, 03:18 PM
i, myself, have been researching the idea of branding when my Master came to me and told me on our 2 year anniversary, that he will mark me as his. of course i am scared about getting this done... i asked if i could have a tattoo instead, and he said no.. "I will mark you as mine" so i jumped on the internet and typed in branding bdsm...
azzie

I know I should probably mind my own business, but I really can't help myself here: if you're wrinkling your nose at the idea of a brand, I would REALLY reconsider getting it. From what people have posted it sounds like you're stuck with brands for life and they may not look as good as you're hoping. I know you didn't ask for advice but I'm giving it anyway: only get a brand if it's what YOU want. You're stuck with it and you're going to have to justify the brand to everyone (especially yourself) for the rest of your life. It's a painful, permanent commitment and I think you shouldn't go in for it if you don't believe in it 100%. And again, I'm sorry for being a busybody.

azure_eyes
12-04-2004, 06:10 PM
I know I should probably mind my own business, but I really can't help myself here: if you're wrinkling your nose at the idea of a brand, I would REALLY reconsider getting it. From what people have posted it sounds like you're stuck with brands for life and they may not look as good as you're hoping. I know you didn't ask for advice but I'm giving it anyway: only get a brand if it's what YOU want. You're stuck with it and you're going to have to justify the brand to everyone (especially yourself) for the rest of your life. It's a painful, permanent commitment and I think you shouldn't go in for it if you don't believe in it 100%. And again, I'm sorry for being a busybody.

whipped cream, please dont apologize, you gave great advise and it was well recieved, and yes, being branded, i will be stuck with it for the rest of my life. Although at this point in my life, i choose to allow this to happen. The brand will be covered almost 99.9% of the time, because it will be someplace where only Sir and i will see it.

for myself, it will show Sir that i do submit to him fully and unconditionally. He will be the first to tell you that i am not a slave.. i have to laugh at that because it seems with each day that passes, i grow more and more to be his slave. It took him a year and a half to offer his collar to me, and i accepted it. Most that know us were saying things like "finally.. you made it official" but for us, its not really officially official until his brand is on my body. i know i am not going to be with another, and nor is he. we have found one another and have made a commitment.

The branding will signify something more concrete to us than a leather collar around my neck. To us, the collar means more than marriage and the branding will be more along the lines of the wedding band. in fact, when we do go to a local bdsm function, i dont have a collar that i wear, Sir prefers that i dont have one.

but i do hope that this answers your concerns whipped cream.. if not feel free to let me know.

azzie

Cokera
12-05-2004, 02:13 AM
I would consider a pro.
http://www.vancourier.com/issues02/021202/entertainment/021202en4.html