PDA

View Full Version : The Reason Republicans are scewed.

jollybleek
11-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Well We finally blew it.
Ronald Reagan won in 1980 because he was what he ran as. He told the truth about himself and what he planned to do. Like him or not Obama did the same, if the press didn't ask the questions oh well. McCain tryed to win an election for the republican party not the conservitive movement. After years of reaching across party lines he finally got his arm bitten off. So when double digite inflation, 14-18 persent morgages and gas lines return we only have ourselves to blame.

mkemse
11-11-2008, 07:42 AM
After 8 years finlay a breeath of Fresh Air, McCainl ost more do to his alligience with Bush, when you vote with him 90% of the time and his policies failed very badly there will be a cost to pay it it was, America sent a clear mandatre to wAshinton on Nov 4, clean up your act, or will will make more chahged in 2 years (mid term lections) all that be asked of peiple, whether they like Obamam or not At theleast give him a chance to prove himself,, don't punish someone woh MAY fail a test, punish them after they acutaly do fail it, if nothing else he desrves a chance, Bush blew all hischances and look at the state of our nation now

DesertDom
11-11-2008, 09:53 AM
I find it funny that the 'talking point kiddies' are still on script.

The irony is that McCain was the darling of the left wing media for his willingness to break with standard conservative ideology until the election cycle started. He was lauded in liberal bastions all over the country for years because 'he reached across the aisle in the spirit of cooperation' and 'was willing to do what is right for the country'. But, when the election cycle started, the most effective way to give him a negative stigma and tear him down was to attach him at the hip to George Bush even though those who knew his politics and Bushs knew they are nothing alike and often at odds with each other.

I have to give Obama's Karl Rove a lot of credit for this talking point. It worked and worked well. Only time will tell what is going to happen, but election management from the liberal side was textbook. They took pages from earlier election strategies and juiced them up, used negative strategies in such a way that they became talking points, and made incredible use of the internet and what it could add as far as organizing a campaign and raising of money.

Only time will tell as to whether this guy is actually going to be effective or not. Luckily, we have elections in 2 years again and can go through the interminable campaign process again. (the last sentence is sarcasm).

mkemse
11-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Many havesaid that the singlereason McCainl ostwas his choice for VP even now a week later, the McCain Camp & The RNC are all over Palin for coutnless reasons
If he had choosen someone else he may have had a better chance

But I agree Obama's stratagist, David Axelrod, did as good a job if not better then Rove did for Bush, Obamam won by much large number in both electroral votes and popular votes, this was 1 elelction were the outcome had NO doubt, one may not like the outcome but the results were without question for once

denuseri
11-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Electoral college aside:

According to the latest reports of CNN:

66,657,943 Million people (53%) of those who participated voted for Obama

58,209,688 Million or (46%) of voters gave thier support to McCain

Roughly a difference of * 8million people, or 6-7%

Certianly not a mandate from heaven by any means.

But hey we the people are used to getting f'd by politicians by now right?

Lets all be lovey dovey and swallow it all down and go back to being good little worker bees and ignore the problems with our media driven election system.

All while basically allmost half the country now is afriad of what this guy is really going to do once he is in office, especially since his party controls both houses yet again.

Same story as when Bush beat Gore.

Just different players and if you think things would have been or are going to be any different you havent studdied much history of late.

Every single one of them has worked to consolodate thier own power and the power of government (thier office) over we the people.

Even our founding fathers knew this:

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
Thomas Jefferson

And for those that think the governement should be our benefactor and solve all our woes:

Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.
Thomas Jefferson

TheDeSade
11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
I started to reply to this and then decided I would just quote one of my favorite writers, mainly because he stated it so succinctly.

"The America of my time line is a laboratory example of what can
happen to democracies, what has eventually happened to all perfect
democracies throughout all histories. A perfect democracy, a warm
body democracy in which every adult may vote and all votes count
equally, has no internal feedback for self-correction. Once a state
extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite,
that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the
plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses
without limit and that the productive members of the body politic
cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or
in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader.

To Sail Beyond the Sunset
Robert A.Heinlein

denuseri
11-14-2008, 01:44 PM
I tried one of these online poles to see just where my own politics sit.

You Should Live in a Purple State

http://www.blogthingsimages.com/shouldyouliveinaredstateorabluestatequiz/purple.png

Your preferences are 50% Blue, 50% Red
You may not be a swing voter, but you feel comfortable around moderate people.

You tend to do best in states with a red and blue mix - like Nevada and North Carolina.
You are adaptable. You can converse with a church crowd as easily as with grad students.

Should You Live in a Red State or a Blue State? (http://www.blogthings.com/shouldyouliveinaredstateorabluestatequiz/)

gagged_Louise
11-14-2008, 02:11 PM
It's a shift in whom you get to pick up, to identify and vote for you, and to feel trust in your ideas and the general outlook of your party. Obama didn't get the majority of the white (non-hispanic, non-mixed) vote, but he got a larger part of it than any Democrat has got since the 1960s, since the Civil Rights era, and that's a real shift in voter sympathies (Lyndon Johnson foresaw that many southern whites would give up on the Democrats after the Civil Rights Act).

And the "pure white" vote is shrinking as a part of the American people, so it becomes less and less viable to run the Reagan/Rove strategy where you base yourself on Conservatives and right-wing christians and then try to catch the middle field by sizing up the Dems as a haughty snob elite and launching personal attacks. The Hispanics largely feel the Democrats are their party, so do most Afro-Americans and many people who have good earnings and academic careers also dropped the GOP in the Bush years; the beginning financial and industrial crisis is likely to keep up that tendency cause many people seem to feel it's been brought on by the thinking and the policies of the Bush years (imo you can't separate the astronomical costs of the Iraq war effort from the pressure on the dollar, the deficit and the impact that it's had on wages and purchase power, which in turn has made many people take loans for consumption or just to pay off earlier loans).

So if one sticks to candidates like Romney, Giuliani or Palin (they all might run in '12) it will attract those "smalltown Americans" but it'll have a hard time catching a majority, either in the popular vote or in key states like Ohio, Nevada, Minnesota, N/S Carolina or Pennsylvania. The time for that kind of nominee is running out.

Thorne
11-14-2008, 02:20 PM
[B]Should You Live in a Red State or a Blue State? (http://www.blogthings.com/shouldyouliveinaredstateorabluestatequiz/)

"Your preferences are 55% Blue, 45% Red
You may not be a swing voter, but you feel comfortable around moderate people."
Actually, I don't feel comfortable around any people.

"You tend to do best in states with a red and blue mix - like Nevada and North Carolina.
You are adaptable. You can converse with a church crowd as easily as with grad students."
LOL! If I tried to converse with a church crowd, I'd end up strung up by my thumbs and cursed as the "Spawn of Satan!"

Stealth694
11-16-2008, 12:28 PM
The reason the Republicans lost was they ran this election like former elections.
Negative ads
Inuendo
No real platform
really nothing to show they were ready to do something
Plus
They were so out of touch with independents it was funny.

RickBulow74
11-16-2008, 06:14 PM
You Should Live in a Purple State

http://blogthings.cachefly.net/shouldyouliveinaredstateorabluestatequiz/purple.png

Your preferences are 35% Blue, 65% Red
You may not be a swing voter, but you feel comfortable around moderate people.

You tend to do best in states with a red and blue mix - like Nevada and North Carolina.
You are adaptable. You can converse with a church crowd as easily as with grad students.