PDA

View Full Version : Sadomasochism goes off the medical record in Sweden

gagged_Louise
11-16-2008, 05:03 PM
The Board for Public Health and Social Care in Sweden will no longer be supporting the diagnosis and labelling of sadomasochism, sadism, fetishism, transvestism or "multiple aberrations of sexual preferences". All of those are to be barred from any further official use in hospital documents and journals, care prescriptions, forensic documents, court statements, medical testimonies and training of future psychologists, police personnel, social assistants and gynecologists. Today they're classed as mental disturbances or diseases, but no more so come January. Cheers! :)

Transsexualism and pedophilia will still be around for use in medical and judicial records ("without a transsexualism diagnosis it would be hard to monitor sex change therapy"). Homosexuality was written out of the medical record in Sweden in the same way in 1977, and gay marriage will probably pass through parliament within the next six months.

Tufty
11-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Its interesting to see how the rest of the World regards the BDSM commumnity.

Thanks Louise

Anth
11-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Wow thats so great! Yet another reason why I should be living in Scandinavia.....
Thank you for sharing this :)

sinderella
11-16-2008, 06:52 PM
The Board for Public Health and Social Care in Sweden will no longer be supporting the diagnosis and labelling of sadomasochism, sadism, fetishism, transvestism or "multiple aberrations of sexual preferences". All of those are to be barred from any further official use in hospital documents and journals, care prescriptions, forensic documents, court statements, medical testimonies and training of future psychologists, police personnel, social assistants and gynecologists. Today they're classed as mental disturbances or diseases, but no more so come January. Cheers! :)

yay, i'm normal :)

rsjankowski
11-16-2008, 07:02 PM
you mean i'm not insane and it's normal to want to tie a girl and have her serve my every whim, now what am i supposed to do to have a non vanilla lifestyle?

gagged_Louise
11-16-2008, 07:04 PM
you mean i'm not insane and it's normal to want to tie a girl and have her serve my every whim, now what am i supposed to do to have a non vanilla lifestyle?

I don't think doctors or judges in Sweden are using the words "vanilla sex" either... ;)

rsjankowski
11-16-2008, 08:31 PM
good point, hm, how about non abnormal? or is it called vanilla sherbert now?

EMD
11-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Pretty soon everything will be normal in Sweden

AdrianaAurora
11-17-2008, 01:01 AM
There goes my insanity defense....;)

rosebud
11-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Hmmmm....Wondering if i get a refund!? Removing the padded walls now!! woohoo

bip0lar
11-17-2008, 09:04 AM
heheheheh, can't help but think of The Divine Comedy - Sweden ["i would love to live in Sweden, please don't ask me why"]
cheers for that :)

fetishdj
11-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Good to hear. Given that most of the world also removed homosexuality from the lists of 'mental illnesses' in the 70s I hope this means the rest of the psychological world will be following soon with this.

Of course, I always prefer my personal definition of 'sanity' - I am sane, the rest of you lot are insane because you are different to me. Well, you have to have a ground state :)

SauvagePouline
11-17-2008, 09:52 AM
omg, thats amazing.... And so much better than the states that seems to be moving backwards as often as forwards -pout- Maybe I'll move to sweden.

Aibo
11-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Yes it was a good thing, and about time for us here. Yes I live in sweden right now, though I spend some time in Norway, where things are quite not as tolerant as of yet.

gagged_Louise
11-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Good to hear. Given that most of the world also removed homosexuality from the lists of 'mental illnesses' in the 70s I hope this means the rest of the psychological world will be following soon with this.

Of course, I always prefer my personal definition of 'sanity' - I am sane, the rest of you lot are insane because you are different to me. Well, you have to have a ground state :)

Yeah, the papers will no doubt keep writing for many years about "Sadist style killings" and "the snitch girl had been tortured with sadistic cruelty by the hustlers" but at least one won't be able, in court, to say blankly as a reason "he's a sadist" or "the bugger's a leather fetishist and a spanko plus he wears women's clothing sometimes, he can't uphold a job as a teacher here!"

TwistedTails
11-17-2008, 01:01 PM
*applause*

tessa
11-17-2008, 09:03 PM
The Board for Public Health and Social Care in Sweden will no longer be supporting the diagnosis and labelling of sadomasochism, sadism, fetishism, transvestism or "multiple aberrations of sexual preferences".

I'm bettin' money that Tom had something to do with this. :p

Acceptance can usually make a day a bit brighter. Thanks for the info, Louise. :wave:

gagged_Louise
11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm bettin' money that Tom had something to do with this. :p

Acceptance can usually make a day a bit brighter. Thanks for the info, Louise. :wave:

Of course, he invited the secretary for public health down to his club and tied her up. "I won't let you go until you've tasted some of how sweet this lifestyle is...you're gonna love this, lady..." She was totally captivated. :)

HisKitty
11-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Yayyyy!

Now I will feel less awkward if I ever go to sweden >_>

tessa
11-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Of course, he invited the secretary for public health down to his club and tied her up. "I won't let you go until you've tasted some of how sweet this lifestyle is...you're gonna love this, lady..." She was totally captivated. :)

We have the exact same thought there, sweetie. :D

fetishdj
11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah, the papers will no doubt keep writing for many years about "Sadist style killings" and "the snitch girl had been tortured with sadistic cruelty by the hustlers" but at least one won't be able, in court, to say blankly as a reason "he's a sadist" or "the bugger's a leather fetishist and a spanko plus he wears women's clothing sometimes, he can't uphold a job as a teacher here!"

Well... they can say all that... however, they can't have an expert witness psychologist say all that in court without consequences. Rather than being an issue of psychological diagnosis (which has a lot more weight in a court) it is merely a description of what happened.

Sadistic is still a valid description of something done in those circumstances, it just is not necessarily a good description of what we do... but that is another debate.

NickosGreek
11-27-2008, 02:05 PM
This is a country to live