PDA

View Full Version : Safety Question

Occam
11-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Does anyone know how long you can keep ones hands up over there head before damage starts from lack of blood in the hands?

DiablosLittleOne
11-23-2008, 06:47 AM
I would assume that everyone is slightly different time-wise; my circulation sucks and I find my appendages falling asleep quicker than most. That being said you need to be aware of your own limits and those of your partner if you're going to have any kind of serious playtime. Try a dry run if you can, I know it sounds a little corny, but at least then you'll have some general idea. But of course, open communication is always the key to safety in play; if your hands start to get cold, numb or tingle you need to change things up and get the blood flowing again. But like I said, I think it's different for everyone.

fetishdj
11-23-2008, 09:11 AM
It is different for anyone. General BDSM rules apply - make sure you are aware of the state of mind and body of the sub at all times. Check for any signs of poor circulation - change in skin colour, tingles, too much warmth or cold on an area and so on. Also make sure the bonds are not too tight and are properly supported (i.e. a proper support harness and ring set rather than tying rope to a random ceiling fitting, using proper cuffs that spread the weight rather than rope which cuts into the skin a lot). You may want more than one point of support so that not all the weight is on the wrists - so a body harness. Also make sure that the feet can touch the ground for at least some of the time. It is ok to take the weight off the feet for a short time but not too long

satisfied
11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
You shouldn't tie them in such a way that would restrict the blood flow in the first place. Problem solved.

Kuskovian
11-24-2008, 05:54 PM
How long depends on many different factors.

One should be observant and never leave a girl unattended while she is bound.

If you are suspending her from her wrists I advise extreme caution, without the proper support it is very easy to dislocate her shoulders and or to suffocate her.

Improper application of bindings; from rope to handcuffs, can cause pressure ulcers, bruising and open wounds in as little as 20 minutes.

Never tie a knot against the skin or bury a knot were it is not clearly visible to the naked eye.

Be aware of the difference between reduced circulation and nerve compression.

With reduced blood flow there is first a sensation of tingeling and then pins and needles.

One may see thier slave wiggeling her hands or playing with her fingers and toes during this stage.

Shorty after the effected the area will go numb. It can take as long as 15 minutes.

Any time a limb is elevated above the plane of the heart the proccess is accelerated.

Reduced blood circulation is not ussually permamently damageing unless it goes to the point at which necrosis would set in.

I do not reccomend excceding 4 hour durations.

Sometimes if tied for an extended period of time a slave may become paralized in the effected limb for as long as hours or days afterwards; so I recomend re-positioning and or re-circulating blood flow every so often during a session if possible to avoid this.

If they cannot move their fingers or toes, at any time during the session, or are experiencing a sharp 'drilling" pain as opposed to a normal type of muscle tension spasm or the tingeling decribed above, you need to change the way they are tied becuase you have compressed a nerve and it can cause permanent damage in a very short period of time!

Do not let her lock her knees, especially if she is standing and do not put to much pressure on the chest with any bindings, or she can easily pass out.

Have a set of bandage scissors ready or a good knife in case you have to cut her down.

Untie her from feet to head so she doesn't fall over.

Avoid burning her by carefully removing the rope from where it is placed as opposed to tugging or pulling it off.

Don't expect a slave thats been released from a position they have held for 15 minutes or longer (tied or untied) to be able to jump up and run around. The joints often take more time to re-perfuse and movement should be done slow and safe.

Be ready to help her.[/U]

Sub-drop is much more common after a heavy scene when a girl is bound. Allways be ready for aftercare and have plenty of ways for her to rehydrate.

Regardless of what else; if an emergency developes knowing how to treat for "shock" and being able and ready to preform CPR until EMT's can arrive is essential for any dominant weather you are using rope or not.

[U]Allways plan ahead!!!

Arria
11-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Excellent advice, Kuskovian, though this one made me laugh out loud:
"Untie her from feet to head so she doesn't fall over."

Please tell me no one would be stupid enough for having to be told this.
Pretty please?

rsjankowski
11-26-2008, 03:34 PM
thanks for the information, i've pretty much been wondering alot of this myself, and searching for something like this can produce a lot of dissertations on the net searches.

denuseri
11-26-2008, 04:32 PM
giggles, Arria you wouldnt believe it boo

I had a dom untie me from the head down once and I passed slap the f out.

I also had a different one unhook my arms from being suspended over head and he turned around to get something without holding me up, ploof denu on the floor, lol

Fortunately I have an Owner that so knows what he is doing now.

MaxxPayne
02-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks