PDA

View Full Version : Story codes and copyright question

lucy
11-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Often when i browse the stories i come across stories that have both the tags "nc" AND "reluctant" or even "consentual". Since i usually only read stories with a more or less consentual setting i find that a bit disturbing.
Is there a reason why people would add both tags or - being blunt here - are they just too stupid to tag their stories correctly?

Another question: I'm writing a story here in the roleplay section and am thinking of putting parts of it in a story for the library. The other person who is writing that story with me has no problem with that, but i don't know if i can use those ideas or whether they've become "property" of the library?

Deathnote
11-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Well... for me, I'm currently trying to change my story codes to best reflect my series. The reason why I would put 'nc', 'reluctant', and 'consensual' in there is because my series really does have all three, just not all at the same time. My series has several characters and a variety of relationships between them, so it makes sense that some of those relationships are consensual, some hostile, and some platonic. :p

Venom
11-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I absolutely understand Deathnote's point, and would normally endorse it, but (yeah, here comes the mean "but"): to prevent the disturbance lucy have mentioned, I always name the "sharpest" grade my stories. A narration with consensual, relucant and non-consensual elements carries the tag "nc".

By the way: the gender codes at my works show all combinations.

lucy
11-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Ok, both explanations make sense. The one given by Venom just a tad more ;) (to me)

MMI
11-26-2008, 06:13 PM
I have nothing to say about the story codes, but the questions about copyright interested me.

First of all, you can't copyright ideas, but you do have a copyright over the material you write. So if I write a story about one thing, and you write a different story, using my ideas, but adapting them to your own plot, then you have not breached my copyright. Otherwise there could only be one murder story, one love story, one mystical tale ...

If you publish a story on a website, you may have to grant the website certain rights over your work - a licence to publish in all probability. You can regard this as the price you have to pay to get published. You may have to grant those rights permanently, or just for so long as your works appear on the site. The websites have different requirements in this regard.

lucy
11-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Thanks a lot, MMI.

John Tagliaferro
11-28-2010, 09:13 PM
lucy,

Echoing and expanding on some of the comments, I missed adding the "nc" tag on my first story posted in the library. The couple, John and Suki, always have consensual sex with each other. However, there is a home invasion that results in one of them, then the next, being drugged and having sex with the invaders. I put that as "reluctant" when I coded it, but it should have been "nc". In lots of places here in the US, drugging someone to have sex with them is rape, certainly beyond "reluctant" territory.

Not exactly with what you asked, but on the "interracial" tag, it is irrelevant to me. I use it because my MCs are Asian and Caucasian. Another couple in the same book are Creole and Caucasian.

Saridu
01-10-2011, 02:22 AM
I'm considering uploading my "Golden Chains in Sherazad" series and I had some questions.

I gather from the above that I should include all story codes from the hardest to the soft stuff. Should I do that as the series progresses and add codes as the content becomes heavier? Or include everything up front - even though the first chapter is pretty tame.

Then questions like content setting, the series has some BDSM but it's a fantasy series with some kinky elements so not serious and not hard enough for heavy?

One more question, forced to excrete without privacy, is that humiliation or considered scatology?

Thanks in advance.

Venom
01-10-2011, 07:06 AM
"Should I do that as the series progresses and add codes as the content becomes heavier?"

In my opinion only the codes describing the most critical aspects of one's story shall be used. But if you want to tell the reader that later parts are heavier and thus the uploaded story changes its codes over time, try this: Use all codes right from the beginning, that's better than fumbling them in later on. Then use your synopsis to explain the planned course of your narration, just as you did above.

"not serious and not hard enough for heavy"

So you are stuck between "seriou"s and "heavy"? Without having read the story, I cannot say much about this, the more so as this point strongly depends on personal judgement.

"forced to excrete without privacy"

Well, that's a horse of a different colour. Since faeces are not directly involved in a sexual act, it is not scatology per se. But even so it might be necessary to use this code as a warning. Again: It depends. If the scene in question is like that -- "She was not allowed to clean herself with anything other than ice-cold water, had to eat from a dog bowl and shit in the garden." -- then you are safe with "humiliation".

Saridu
01-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Hi Venom,

Thanks for the advice, I will list all codes for the series up front but keep my introduction for each chapter intact which includes codes for that chapter.

Well it's not serious, my understanding is this is reserved for actual BDSM practices and realistic situations - I write fantasy ;-) and after reading some of the stories in the archive, it's not heavy so maybe I'll go with light, the nastiest I write is a public flogging with no blood and talk of foot whipping, for this site that's most probably classified at "light"

As I said above I'm keeping each chapter introduction and that mentions anything nasty going on to warn potential readers.

The last one is a hard one, your example mentions shit but only in passing, no description given, mine I don't describe the actual act but do comment on it, (See below)

I fear that listing scat will have two affects, firstly it would chase the lighter reader away (or anybody who doesn't like scat) because they would expect to read scat on every other page and secondly it would only tease the heavier reader who wants to read that and would be disappointed with the very light scene described.

May I ask one more favour? I'm going to upload on Friday night but before that if you have time, here is the scene in question if you could provide your feedback, thanks!

Miringko returned with two large silver bowls.

“Remove their plugs.”.

Kailya felt the woman push her forward so she was on all fours before the slave trainer, she gasped as the large dildo that was lodged up her ass was swiftly removed.

“Miringko, you should see her face, priceless.” Gauri mocked the Galadrian.

Kailya winced as her abused ass slowly closed, then another sensation returned to her, she hadn’t eaten much yesterday but Khalim’s last deposit of cum was now pooling at her asshole, she really needed the toilet.

“I need the toilet.”.

Nahid and the other two slaves laughed loudly.

“Oh you can do better than that slave, come on beg for it.”.

“Please I need the toilet.”.

Nahid motioned and Kailya winced as Miringko flicked the leather strips across her wide ass.

“The correct term is, please mistress master’s worthless slave begs to drop her shit.”.

Kailya glared at her,

“Please mistress master’s worthless slave begs to drop her shit.”, she angrily mouthed the demeaning words.

Nahid laughed again and drank some fruit juice.

“Very well slave, since you asked so nicely, squat over the bowel.”.

Kailya’s eyes widened with shock, she couldn’t be serious.

“I, please allow me to use the toilet.”.

The four pleasure slaves and their mistress burst into laughter.

“You are truly funny slave, I haven’t seen such arrogance in a long time, training you is going to be most entertaining.” Nahid pulled her slave chain, Kailya winced and desperately tightened her asshole. The black woman’s cat eyes bored into the matriarch, “Only the faithful of Kalashite, free woman use toilets, slaves squat like the filthy animals they are. Now animal drop your shit or I will cane your asshole until you do.”, Kailya gulped, the fierce woman was not joking, she closed her eyes in shame and squatted over the bowel.

“Very good, pheew smell that girls.”.

“The cow stinks! Make her use the common bowel by the corral.” Gauri smirked nastily.”

“Hmm, perhaps if she doesn’t behave herself.”

“Is that master’s cum? Ungrateful whore.” Gauri snarled jealously rasing her whip.

“Gauri control yourself, Ashara was telling me how loudly the bitch wailed when he fucked her ass, he will tire of her soon.”.

“Cow doesn’t like it up the ass?” the Dravithian smirked, she ran a hand down to her tight ass and tapped it playfully, “Master loves fucking his bitches up the ass, he’s going to throw this white cow onto the street before the end of the month.” The two older slaves laughed together.

“Now your turn slave six and please resist, that tight ass is begging for a good caning.” Chandra glared at the women and for the fiftieth time struggled against the well constructed steel chains.

“Just do it Chandra.” Kailya eyed the trainer down.

“Silence! Her name is slave six, if you talk to her again without my permission I will discipline you.” Nahid snapped.

The trainer held Kailya gaze as the two older slaves slapped Chandra’s ass laughingly before pushing the bowel beneath her. Chandra swore by Nustress she would make Farouk pay for this.

“Very good slave, I will make fucktoys out of you yet. Now enough, it is time for their dinner, bring the bowels.” Nahid commanded.

Venom
01-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Miringko returned with two large silver bowls.

“Remove their plugs.”(.) Only one full stop here

Kailya felt the woman push her forward so she was on all fours before the slave trainer. She gasped as the large dildo that was lodged up her ass was swiftly removed.

“Miringko, you should see her face, priceless,” Gauri mocked the Galadrian.

Kailya winced as her abused ass slowly closed, then another sensation returned to her: she hadn’t eaten much yesterday but Khalim’s last deposit of cum was now pooling at her asshole -- she really needed the toilet. Avoid chain sentences.

“I need the toilet.” Repetition, try "I have to step out...!"

Nahid and the other two slaves laughed loudly.

“Oh you can do better than that slave, come on beg for it.”

“Please I need the toilet.”

Nahid motioned, (looks better that way, in my opinion) and Kailya winced as Miringko flicked the leather strips across her wide ass.

“The correct term is: 'Please mistress master’s worthless slave begs to drop her shit.'”

Kailya glared at her.

“Please mistress, master’s worthless slave begs to drop her shit,” she angrily mouthed the demeaning words.

Nahid laughed again and drank some fruit juice.

“Very well slave, since you asked so nicely, squat over the bowel.”

Kailya’s eyes widened with shock. That woman couldn’t be serious!

“I... , please allow me to use the toilet.”

The four pleasure slaves and their mistress burst into laughter.

“You are truly funny, slave, I haven’t seen such arrogance in a long time. Training you is going to be most entertaining.”

Nahid pulled her slave chain, Kailya winced and desperately tightened her asshole.

The black woman’s cat eyes bored into the matriarch: “Only the faithful of Kalashite, free woman, use toilets, slaves squat like the filthy animals they are. Now, animal, drop your shit, or I will cane your asshole until you do.”(,)

Kailya gulped, the fierce woman was not joking, she closed her eyes in shame and squatted over the bowel.

“Very good, pheew smell that girls.” Either "[...] smell that, girls!" or "[...] smell that girl!"

“The cow stinks! Make her use the common bowl by the corral,” Gauri smirked nastily.(”)

“Hmm, perhaps if she doesn’t behave herself.”

“Is that master’s cum? Ungrateful whore,” Gauri snarled jealously raising her whip. (A comma could be placed either before or behind "jealously", indicating to which verb the adverb belongs. "Jealously raising" may appear a little bit odd, but is a proper construction.)

“Gauri, control yourself. Ashara was telling me how loudly the bitch wailed when he fucked her ass; he will tire of her soon.”

“Cow doesn’t like it up the ass?” the Dravithian smirked. She ran a hand down to her tight ass and tapped it playfully. “Master loves fucking his bitches up the ass, he’s going to throw this white cow onto the street before the end of the month.” The two older slaves laughed together.

“Now your turn, slave six, and please resist -- that tight ass is begging for a good caning.”

Chandra glared at the women and for the fiftieth time struggled against the well constructed steel chains.

Kailya eyed the trainer down.

“Just do it, Chandra.”

“Silence! Her name is slave six. If you talk to her again without my permission, I will discipline you,” Nahid snapped.

The trainer held Kailya gaze as the two older slaves slapped Chandra’s ass laughingly before pushing the bowl beneath her. Chandra swore by Nustress she would make Farouk pay for this.

“Very good, slave, I will make fucktoys (Why plural? She addresses only one slave.) out of you yet. Now enough, it is time for their dinner. Bring the bowls!” Nahid commanded.

Due to the general setting I tend to label this passage "serious" instead of "light". But it is not graphic and explicit enough to be "scatology". Just risk that lighter reader could be crossed about and during two or three sentences.

Some words about your grammar: If direct speech is followed by an attributive phrase and does not end with an exclamation mark or a question mark, a comma parts speech and phrase.

“Is that master’s cum? Ungrateful whore,” Gauri snarled jealously raising her whip.

If the direct speech ends with a full stop, then there is no need for a second one behind the closing quotation mark.

(A counterexample you may find here:

http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php/24408-Need-some-feedback-on-a-lil-thing-I-wrote...

I wasn’t able to think for long before “It wasn’t a suggestion slut. Come here.".

In this special case, the direct speech including full stop is a quoted/heard phrase.)

If you want to use longer sentences, structure them by means of commas as well as semicolons and emdashes (here symbolised as " -- ").

Place blank lines before and after direct speech, for this increases the readability on screen.

That are the main points. Nothing that belittle the story itself. I have to say that I liked what I have read.

lucy
01-13-2011, 03:23 PM
I liked it too and Venom has done a terrific job with his critique. I too think that in this case it isn't scat play. I've written such stuff too and never used the 'scat-tag'.
Well it's not serious, my understanding is this is reserved for actual BDSM practices and realistic situations - I write fantasy ;-)
Looking at about 90% of the stories on the library, I very much hope that they are fantasies, too ;)

John Tagliaferro
01-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I liked it too and Venom has done a terrific job with his critique. I too think that in this case it isn't scat play. I've written such stuff too and never used the 'scat-tag'.
Looking at about 90% of the stories on the library, I very much hope that they are fantasies, too ;)

Trust me. When my stories get past basic restraints and erotic bondage, it is all fiction vs. reality.

Saridu
01-13-2011, 04:13 PM

Touche, what I meant was that I write in a fantasy setting (magic, wizards, witches etc) so my writing cannot be considered set in a realistic situation. Even my actual sex scenes require a little suspension of belief (Part A rarely fits as easily in Slot B as I describe and few woman, I'm sure could enjoy anal sex as much as my protagonists :P )

Thanks Venom for the critique, I'm an amateur so I usually write first pass and I'm too much in a rush to write the next scene (My muse is one demanding mistress) to consider my grammar. Yes I now notice how I tend to double full stop after speech in sentences, something I will have to look out for ;-)

So serious it is without scat. Thank you once again for the feedback, I will hopefully start posting tonight.

leo9
01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
If you publish a story on a website, you may have to grant the website certain rights over your work - a licence to publish in all probability. You can regard this as the price you have to pay to get published. You may have to grant those rights permanently, or just for so long as your works appear on the site. The websites have different requirements in this regard.

Another point worth knowing: I have recently started offering material to commercial e-publishers, and they have stated that when they specify "not previously published elsewhere," they don't count free sites like the Library. Good to know for anyone who might have ambitions to move into pro writing: work posted here is not wasted for future sales.