PDA

View Full Version : Why is it written W/we ?

unmastered
01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
This may be a stupid question to some. I wondered why is it that it is written as W/we, when talking about a Dom and his sub or vice versa? Is this out of respect for the great position held by the Dom or Domme?

If this is the reason, I think that its a great show of respect. Just needed someone to clarify this for me...

(My grade school teacher said, the only dumb question is the one not asked.)

unmastered

satisfied
01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes, that is to show that it includes both the Dom and the sub. However, when you are reading through the forums and there is a ton of U/us, W/we, T/they, E/everyone, etc.......it does tend to get annoying to a lot of people and I have yet to come across a Dom who objects to merely typing us, we, they, everyone.

Misschief
01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't know if I object, but I certainly prefer W/we (etc.)..

jeanne
01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Some prefer it, some don't.

Warning: The following is my opinion only.

I think it's silly. But to each his own.

leah06
01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I/i D/do T/too.

TwstdKittie
01-19-2009, 09:22 PM
For me, it's more about what's practical and time-efficient, especially for long posts or letters. In txts, i always make sure to type You and Yours, etc. to Master, but my phone will automatically capitalize "i" at the beginning of any sentence, etc. It's more worth it to make sure He notices the subtle differences since He understands the drawbacks of certain technologies. Likewise, it can make even a moderate length paragraph very difficult to read. So i agree, to each his own, but i find it more of a hassle.

Willsubmit2
01-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Definitely out of respect...hello and welcome to the forums where all questions are eventually answered (even the "dumb" ones) (by the way, your teacher was right)...:wave:

his_girl_l
01-19-2009, 10:11 PM
i use lower case for me and usually capitalise Him or Your when addressing him, but i do draw the line at W/we. i just think it looks silly, and there is something about it that seems kind of pretentious to me. We're all aware that we're doms and subs, i just don't see the need for it.

It's not a direct sign of respect like capitalising Master's name when writing to or about him. Just writing the usual we makes it clear that both the dom and the sub are being referred to.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Arria
01-20-2009, 11:03 AM
It might be a nice thing to emphasize the relationship if a person addresses one´s own dominant partner in direct communication.

Writing like this no matter where and in general conversation gives me eye cancer.

Just my opinion, though.

Someone on another forum wrote something I really liked:
"Orthography is freeware, that means you are allowed to use it for free.
But it is not open-source, which means you are not allowed to make changes to it as you please."

fetishdj
01-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Some people like it, some don't and it can depend on what your Dom or Domme prefers you to use. Some, for example, may require you to refer to yourself in lower case letters only which means you use this convention when you are talking about your own relationship but not anyone else (i.e. you'd refer to yourself in lower case but other subs in the normal convention). Others request that you refer to every sub in lowercase. Yet more prefer you to use proper English grammar conventions and merely be polite and respectful.

I agree that overuse of this can cause problems in reading the content of a post and so prefer not to use it myself unless I am specifically requested to do so and even then only in direct, personal communication with the Domme who has requested it.

MistressDenise4U
01-24-2009, 03:54 PM
I think it gets annoying also. If you come into a chat room or start a post I dont mind if it is something like hello A/all....but having it after every other sentence does get annoying. But that is just my opinion.

angelic.zest
01-25-2009, 03:44 AM
When I started chatting in the room, I use to use.."S/slashyS/speak" and then I had to think about why I was doing it. lol....I came to the realization, that when I say "hello everyone, or hey all' I am talking to all that's in the room and not just the submissives or just the dominants. We are all equal in my eyes, only in our chosen relationships. Are there differences in the hierchary sp?.

I respect all until they had done something to lose that respect from me. So showing someone respect by slashing some letters, does nothing for me. lol Jmo

To each their own, if you enjoy it continue!

hopperboo
01-25-2009, 01:16 PM
My personal opinion...it's stupid and over the top. The whim of a man who needs to see a capital letter to feel like a man.

I used to chat in a room that favored that kind of chat. I was bugged a LOT by being told to use a lowercase "I" and in fact being booted if I forgot.

fetishdj
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
There are some hardline old schoolers who claim the whole protocol is 'just something wannabe people do online' - since most online interaction is written it makes sense that this is where such a protocol would develop. Though, I am sure it was something used even before the internet on the occasions when a sub and Dom/me communicated by letter.

Hopper - sounds like the chatroom you mention above supports the theory of the old schoolers. Also looks like most people on this site have a relaxed attitude to the whole thing (I say most because I am sure there are those who don't agree and who have simply not posted).

thedominthehat
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
In the words of a wise man, "I think that is bullshit, not just bullshit, but internet bullshit."

We, and by that I mean the royal We, actually just meaning I, agree.

It does not offend me, but I am not going to do it and I am not going to insist anyone else do it cause typing that stuff is annoying and I don't have a Carpal Tunnel fetish.

Ozme52
02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Sorry... You have brought out the AGS in me. Absurd Grammar Police.

It does not offend Us, but We are not going to do it and We are not going to insist anyone else do it 'cause typing that stuff is annoying and We are not amused.

If one is to affect the Royal form, please be totally over the top. ;)