PDA

View Full Version : Define hate

jeanne
02-28-2009, 08:51 AM
This thread: http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20911 started a discussion about the definition/meaning of love and other feelings. I thought it would be interesting to hear other's thoughts about what those other emotions feel like to you.

Hate - how do you define hate?

Thorne
02-28-2009, 09:04 AM

For me, to hate someone or something is to want that person or thing destroyed, completely eliminated.

I hate those who would injure or kill others solely for their own greed.

I hate termites.

I have a severe dislike of my brother-in-law.

wmrs2
03-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Hate is a cancer that turns your thoughts into remorse and ill will.

DowntownAmber
03-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I dunno about this one jeanne... I won't go so far as to say I'm a hate atheist because I do think it exists and I've certainly caught whiffs of it; but I cannot describe it, not really, because I personally don't think I've ever felt it. It seems such a disabling and emotionally crippling emotion, and when I say things like "I hate this brand of peanut butter" or "God, is Paris Hilton on TV again because I really hate her," let's face it, I frankly don't mean it.

The opposite of love seems an easy enough answer, but for me that would be classified as apathy, not hate.

I can imagine if someone were to hurt my family or a close friend enough I could hate them, I've just never been there yet. I've had washes of extreme disgust come over me, occasionally laced with the desire for brutal revenge, but it's never been to the point of emotional consumption that I think I personally associate with hate.

I'll be interested to follow this thread.

mkemse
03-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I would define it as a complete distain or dislike for someone or something

IAN 2411
12-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Hate is the most powerful of all negative words, after hate there is nothing.
A person that hate’s another; will hurt more than the person that they hate.
Hate is soul destroying, and a self inflicted wound.

steelish
12-30-2009, 07:59 PM
To me, hate is a black spot in your soul

Saheli
02-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Hate is an angry destruction that can manifest outwardly or inwardly, although in my opinion both are usually present. I do not believe that one can hate something or someone without self-inflicted damage. Hate paves the way for lonely desolation. I think ian said it best when he wrote, "after hate there is nothing" Overcoming hate is the only way to defeat it...it is a void which must be filled with forgiveness in order to be overcome. Only then can a person avoid the self-destruction hate is so quick to inflict. To do this, of course, can take many years, and sometimes it cannot ever be completely done. We are all left to do the best we can with what we have: hopefully, though, a time will come when we are able to fill in the void of hate with forgiveness and walk over it to better times in our lives. Otherwise, the hole will suck up many things we might never know we missed.

In an adjective, if I had to pick one, hate is: corrosive.

owned puppy
02-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Hate is an angry destruction that can manifest outwardly or inwardly, although in my opinion both are usually present. I do not believe that one can hate something or someone without self-inflicted damage. Hate paves the way for lonely desolation. I think ian said it best when he wrote, "after hate there is nothing" Overcoming hate is the only way to defeat it...it is a void which must be filled with forgiveness in order to be overcome. Only then can a person avoid the self-destruction hate is so quick to inflict. To do this, of course, can take many years, and sometimes it cannot ever be completely done. We are all left to do the best we can with what we have: hopefully, though, a time will come when we are able to fill in the void of hate with forgiveness and walk over it to better times in our lives. Otherwise, the hole will suck up many things we might never know we missed.

In an adjective, if I had to pick one, hate is: corrosive.

I agree. As a rape victim the only way that I could move on was to forgive him. I went to seem him in jail and forgave him not for his own benefit, but for mine. I had to let go of the hate so I could move on, otherwise the hate would take over my life and would consume me. I wasn't going to be that person.

I have found that hate much like love is an action and emotion of passion. The true opposite of love is indifference, when you no longer care what happens to them.

DuncanONeil
02-07-2010, 10:39 AM
for me, to hate someone or something is to want that person or thing destroyed, completely eliminated.

I hate those who would injure or kill others solely for their own greed.

I hate termites.

I have a severe dislike of my brother-in-law.

lol lol lol

DuncanONeil
02-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I think you make some good points here. There is a lot to be said for "hate" being truly undefind. It makes sense that a lot of what we categorize as "hate" is actually something else.
As Thorne said --dislike, then there is the fear mentioned, anger,and even envy.
As for getting a handle on true hate that is kind of hard. Even genocides can be attributed to causes other than hate. Although that particular foible of humanity may come the closest.

I dunno about this one jeanne... I won't go so far as to say I'm a hate atheist because I do think it exists and I've certainly caught whiffs of it; but I cannot describe it, not really, because I personally don't think I've ever felt it. It seems such a disabling and emotionally crippling emotion, and when I say things like "I hate this brand of peanut butter" or "God, is Paris Hilton on TV again because I really hate her," let's face it, I frankly don't mean it.

The opposite of love seems an easy enough answer, but for me that would be classified as apathy, not hate.

I can imagine if someone were to hurt my family or a close friend enough I could hate them, I've just never been there yet. I've had washes of extreme disgust come over me, occasionally laced with the desire for brutal revenge, but it's never been to the point of emotional consumption that I think I personally associate with hate.

I'll be interested to follow this thread.

denuseri
02-07-2010, 11:37 AM
In the Nicomachean Ethics Aristotle often focused on finding the mean between two extremes of any particular subject; whether it be justice, courage, wealth and so forth. For example, courage is a mean between two feelings (fear and confidence) and an action (the courageous act). Too much fear or too little confidence leads to cowardice, and too little fear or too much confidence can lead to rash, foolish choices. Aristotle says that finding this middle ground is essential to reaching eudemonia, otherwise known as the golden mean.

Quite simply put, hate would be on one end of the etreme of a scale that has love in the middle and all consuming obsession/addiction on the other.

thir
02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
This thread: http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20911 started a discussion about the definition/meaning of love and other feelings. I thought it would be interesting to hear other's thoughts about what those other emotions feel like to you.

Anger is often healthy and relevant. I think hate is probably frozen or festering anger, which may happen when you are extremely angry about something you cannot do anything about.

For most of my life I have not understood hate, but has come to me twice, once when someone I loved was falsely accused of a crime, and it almost ruined his life, secondly when an indifferent health system cost my best friend his life. I could not do anything in either case, and the hatred is still there though I work on letting it go.

IAN 2411
02-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Anger is often healthy and relevant. I think hate is probably frozen or festering anger, which may happen when you are extremely angry about something you cannot do anything about.

For most of my life I have not understood hate, but has come to me twice, once when someone I loved was falsely accused of a crime, and it almost ruined his life, secondly when an indifferent health system cost my best friend his life. I could not do anything in either case, and the hatred is still there though I work on letting it go.

I hate the hospital that killed my wife, and it burns my soul every time i pass the place, and as i said in my earlier post, it hurts me more than the doctors that i hate. I repeat, it is soul destroying, and i can never forgive them for thier disregard for the welfare of my wife and her life.

Regards ian 2411

thir
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I hate the hospital that killed my wife, and it burns my soul every time i pass the place, and as i said in my earlier post, it hurts me more than the doctors that i hate. I repeat, it is soul destroying, and i can never forgive them for thier disregard for the welfare of my wife and her life.

Regards ian 2411

So, maybe something you cannot do anything about - ?

I do not believe that forgivenes is the only way to get past it.

Saheli
02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
So, maybe something you cannot do anything about - ?

I do not believe that forgivenes is the only way to get past it.

Sometimes forgiveness helps, sometimes time, sometimes understanding...sometimes nothing. Hate is one of the most difficult emotions to overcome because it is so powerful.