PDA

View Full Version : Why we go gray

jeanne
03-01-2009, 07:39 AM
I thought this was interesting. From a "oh my God I'm keeping my hairdresser in business" perspective. :rolleyes:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20090225/why-hair-goes-gray

damyanti
03-06-2009, 04:01 AM
Yes, I heard this...I think they are even working on a shampoo that will help to prevent this.

I think its very interesting how people react to going grey. Anderson Cooper said that dying it makes you look desperate, but I disagree with that. (I think it only makes you look desperate if you do it badly, LOL).

I myself am not too concerned about it because I am supposed to have good genes on this, both my mother and grandmother didnt even start to go grey until their 50s. And I am actually looking forward to it, becasue it will give me an excuse to dye my hair again. I look amazing (and very sexy, or so I have been told ;) ) as a Red Head, but I stopped dying it because it wreck havoc with my usually very healthy hair. So I went back to my glossy but boring natural blonde color, until those first greys come :).

I think some people have an issue with going grey because they feel it means to admit that they are old. Others think it makes them look like rebels if they leave it like that.

The fact is that very few people look good grey (its especially true with women). Judi Dench and Helen Mirren come to mind....and they make it look so good that many want to follow, but like all grey colors not every grey is the same, and it depends on your skin tone etc, so I know it wont look good on my milky pale skin.

When it comes to growing old I think French do it best. The trick is to look after yourself: eat right, exercise, use good skin care, right make up, dress stylishly but appropriately for your age and looks, and yes using the right hairdresser and hair dye...and as long as you stay positive, it will ensure you look sexy and sensual no matter your age, as opposed to doing it Madonna way (way too much exercise, horrible unsuitable clothes, way too many plastic operations and way too little fun) that will make you look like a freak show and scary, not sexy.

jeanne
03-06-2009, 05:59 AM
Gosh you're so lucky. I started going gray at the ripe old age of 28. :rolleyes: I had always sworn I would not resort to coloring my hair...until then. I've colored it ever since, except for one 2-year period where I wanted to see what it would look like natural. It looked awful, so back to the hairdresser I went. :p

I agree about the proper way to age. So much of it is truly in the mind - and I feel more beautiful and more sexy and more "together" than I ever did in my 20s. :)

Ozme52
03-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Fortunately... mine is silver.

DowntownAmber
03-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Fortunately... mine is silver.

*thinks of 42 "gorillas in the mist" jokes before deciding that sometimes keeping one's mouth shut is a good thing* :rolleyes:

I think my hair may be opting for reverse aging coloration - I started out with white hair (not blond, actually white) as a kid, progressed to a pale blond, darkened to a dirty blond, and then went on to what my hairdresser laughingly refers to as "brindle." In one ponytail's worth you'll find everything from lingering light blond to red to amber to some weird shade that seems not to be able to find it's footing between dark blond and chestnut. The downside is I never know what to tell people when I fill out forms that ask my hair color but, then again, I never need to pay for highlights either.

At this rate, I suspect my hair will be just about black, like my mother's, by the time I hit my sixties...

denuseri
03-07-2009, 12:32 AM
*thinks of 42 "gorillas in the mist" jokes before deciding that sometimes keeping one's mouth shut is a good thing* :rolleyes:

OMFG rof lol,,,,,where is Diane Fossey when we need her to tell us just what Oz is up too.

<<"Gorrilla in the mist joke #1 and counting"

:hubba:

Thorne
03-07-2009, 07:30 AM
In one ponytail's worth you'll find everything from lingering light blond to red to amber to some weird shade that seems not to be able to find it's footing between dark blond and chestnut.
Sounds like someone has the "Clown" gene in their family closet.

Ozme52
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Absolutely right. It sure would have been a good thing... :rolleyes:

Ozme52
03-07-2009, 05:23 PM
OMFG rof lol,,,,,where is Diane Fossey when we need her to tell us just what Oz is up too.

<<"Gorrilla in the mist joke #1 and counting"

:hubba:

Up to? :rolleyes: