PDA

View Full Version : Starting a dungeon?

ravenbounduptight
12-15-2009, 09:34 AM
okay, this is going to sound odd because i'm not asking for myself but for a group of people.

What would it take to start a dungeon, semi public. A group of friends/people who know each other in the Pittsburgh area are tired of only one place that is a public dungeon. There has been drama there and we sorta feel stuck. like it's the only place to go and have public play use of toys/set ups that we don't normally have, but at the same time we have the problem of being chased out due to politics.

So what we're whispering about is finding a place or some sort of set up where we as a group can go and have the same fun that we have at the dungeon. i don't think we're looking for a set up like a public night club, that takes alot of work and getting thru the red tape. We don't even want it to be run like a bizz. More like a group of people pitching in and finding a place.

Any suggestions? (and playing nice at the current dungeon was already tried, we have nothing against the dungeon itself, just the politics and fighting).

Thanks

~j~

WifeMomSlave
12-15-2009, 10:03 AM
I really have no idea. I was thinking you could find some dungeons on line and either email or call them to see how they go started. You should also read up on the zoning laws and such in your area. That's about all I got. Good luck.

_ID_
12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
The way many groups get started is a group of friends with similar goals and values setting a time to meet. That's how many munch groups, play parties start.

What I've seen work to various levels of scale:
- Create a schedule of where and when you want to meet. This might just be each persons house each month, or maybe rent some space for the group per month. There are lots of stores and such that are run down, and after some care and money could make a great clubhouse. Where you run into the red tape is when you start charging, and it becomes a place of business. Knowing how to keep whatever money is donated into operating costs, and not collecting in a bank account anywhere will help alleviate that.

- Buy property, get lawyers, cut through red tape, start your own place. This takes some market research, as well as investment of money. What you are allowed to do in there will be restricted by the legal jam that will come with starting such a place. If you are able to find a liberal enough market, you would want something that is pansexual, and limits activities according to the applicable laws your place of business. The dance club atmosphere is rather popular, and you would need a couples only section to keep out the voyeurs who just want to see naked people.

Miner
12-15-2009, 11:39 PM
okay, this is going to sound odd because i'm not asking for myself but for a group of people.

What would it take to start a dungeon, semi public. A group of friends/people who know each other in the Pittsburgh area are tired of only one place that is a public dungeon. There has been drama there and we sorta feel stuck. like it's the only place to go and have public play use of toys/set ups that we don't normally have, but at the same time we have the problem of being chased out due to politics.

So what we're whispering about is finding a place or some sort of set up where we as a group can go and have the same fun that we have at the dungeon. i don't think we're looking for a set up like a public night club, that takes alot of work and getting thru the red tape. We don't even want it to be run like a bizz. More like a group of people pitching in and finding a place.

Any suggestions? (and playing nice at the current dungeon was already tried, we have nothing against the dungeon itself, just the politics and fighting).

Thanks

~j~

Been there. We put together a budget and figured how many people would need to be involved to cover the rent (and how much we'd have to put in each to do the same).

The core group was 15 people. A smallish office (about 500 square feet) was found in an old building with a low per foot cost. The core group guaranteed the rent, and provided furniture. The search looked for "exotica" in the property. What was found was a 5 storey building ca 100 years old, with heavy cast iron pipes as support in some of the open space. Cost was 450 pcm, electricity was a further 50 pcm (heating and lights). Cost per core member was 50 pcm (allowed for a gradual buil;d-up of capital for toys etc).

Furniture consisted of a fridge, a coffee maker, some old tables (one served as a desk), some lockers, a couple of old sofas and a couple of chairs. In addition, suspension gear was installed in a central room, including a spanking/fire bench, a St Andrew's Cross, and a small electric winch supporting a flying suspension rig in the centre of the room. There was a "web" along one of the short walls, and manacles and leg irons attached to two of the metal supports.

A club structure was established, full membership (for non-core members) was 10 a year, guests and members were allowed, but had to be introduced by a full member, and demonstrations, and play times were held on a regular schedule (onc e or twice a month). Full members could book the play space on a first come first served basis for times when the facility was free. A member of the core group had to be present for any booking (to serve as Dungeon Master). Those private bookings cost 50 an evening.

When I left the area, the group had been functioning for just oiver 2 years and was still going strong. The cost to the core group had gone down because the membership had risen significantly, and the dungeon (on the third floor of the building - lol) was booked at least 50% of the time.

If you'd like more detail, feel free to PM me.

Ozme52
12-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I think you were lucky... in that the core group was both dedicated and persistant.

I've dealt with many (vanilla) organizations that tried to have similarly supported facilities... It's very hard to pull off.

So my advice, is if you try, you need a strong commitment from the members of the core group, perhaps even something contractual with a guaranteed payment and payback (if they dropout) schedule. Having a payback schedule (dependent on finding a replacement) seems to help people stay with it longer.

Just my two cents... I am known as the "pessimist" in my munch group on this one topic. I far prefer having a site that is privately owned and communally supported with work and equipment. But such folk, who own and have the space and are willing to open their facility (be it a home or garage or warehouse space) are admittedly few and far between.

Regardless, good luck and keep us all apprised of your progress. I like surprises.

Ultraprene
12-31-2009, 03:47 PM
A couple of suggestions to avoid trouble: Have very clear written rules about safety and consent. And make sure any equipment is well designed and built. We don't want anyone getting hurt.