PDA

View Full Version : chronic pain in conjunction with bdsm?

alwaysquestion
01-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Okay, I think this is the appropriate place to ask my question... I don't know any of the right terminology, though, sorry! This is all still kinda theoretical for me.

So - Does anyone have any experience with bdsm in the midst of chronic pain (or even pain from an injury or surgery or something)? I'm just wondering if any pain can still be stimulating if I'm almost always in pain anyway. My fantasies have always tended in this direction, and the IDEA still exites me, but now I'm not sure it would work. I just want to know where I stand.

Any input would be appreciated...

fetishdj
01-20-2010, 04:00 AM
Speaking as a physiologist... I do wonder if pain in another location may actually be beneficial in stopping you from feeling the chronic pain. Acute pain usually takes precedence over chronic in your perceptual map of your body so whipping on another area will a) feel nice if you are into pain (not everyone is) and b) take away the thunder of the real pain....

From my experience of BDSM I have learnt that intent and expectation are everything. BDSM play is as much in the mind as the body. There is a marked difference between pain inflicted by a loving Dominant as part of a highly charged sexually heightened scene and any other form of pain. It is not the pain itself that is important but the way it is delivered. I'd enjoy a nipple clamp put on me by a Mistress and hate a random person in the street pinching my nipples.

Also, depending on the cause of the pain, devices like TENs machines (often used in BDSM but actually developed for back pain) can be beneficial if used right.

Archeon
01-20-2010, 08:52 AM
I think most submissives will tell you there is a big difference between voluntary pain (ie bdsm), and involuntary pain such as that from a chronic illness. (i.e. most subs wouldn't be turned on by stubbing their toe!)

Regards,

Arch

tina2008
05-09-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't want to admit that I suffer from chronic pain as I'm not sure how to define chronic (all day every day?) However, if I overdo things, I'm usually down for the count. It's amazing how endorphins released during impact play can render me pain free for a few days...it actually helps more than some of the meds I take.

free2bme_71
06-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Ah ha...here I can help..... I suffer from fibromyalgia. My joints are in constant pain. Some days walking is just plain painful. BUT...I have noticed that the pain from my sessions with my Sir seemed to help. My most pain free time were after long sessions. I believe that is because of the natural endorphins released in the brain. They are our natural pain killers. It sounds weird, but the more fibro pain I was in, the more I needed the hard spankings, clamps, or rougher sex.

*lil*minx90*
04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I hurt my back while training horses when I was 16. One bucked me off and i landed flat on my back. it screwed up the thorasic (sp?) curve of my back. I couldn't breath if i sat up straight. I'm in constant pain. and I know exactly what u mean free2bme71, a nice long rough session usually does the trick for my back pain as long as i'm in a good position.

scarlet_85
04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
I recently had knee surgery and still have a lot of pain going on. As others have stated, while getting spanked numerous times, my knee pain was non existent. In fact, it didn't start hurting again until hours after play. So, BDSM might actually help with chronic pain.

Lol I know all that has been said already :P just adding confirmation of lesser pain in the long run to it.

Dog's Lady
12-23-2011, 12:12 PM
I have to ask, as I have a TENS unit for my bad back: how do you use it in play? It would be great to get more mileage out of the thing.

To try to answer the original question: I've been in pain (my back, but sometimes runs down my legs as far as the ankle) for almost 7 years. I have good days and bad days, but I am almost never pain-free. The pleasure/pain of bdsm is worlds away from that pain. I may have gotten the endorphin rush once or twice, but what I get more is the pain gate thing: if I can survive the back pain long enough to get excited/aroused, then the bdsm pain over-rides the back pain. I've gotten a few hours of reduced pain after, but more often, I end up with more back pain because of the positions/movements of play and sex aggravate the discs and muscles. I try to take a dose of pain meds right before we start (I've been on them these 6 1/2-7 years, and I don't get high off them anymore, so I can still be safe, sane, and consensual,) but taking the meds before sort of heads the pain off at the pass, so to speak.)
Good luck with your pain.

rainbowwarrior30
12-01-2015, 09:45 PM
I to also suffer from all sorts of pain, chronic lower back pain, migraines, fibromyalgia, and the list goes on, i recently had my first "play date" 3 days ago, and i am still somewhat pain free. Meaning i still have the pain but it is no where near as much as it was before. It is slowly coming back but the pain inflicted on me during play has helped me tremendously. Just thought i would chime in.