PDA

View Full Version : Schools and freedom of religion

thir
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
"Guthrie Center High School has a policy prohibiting discrimination against students who express their religious beliefs as part of school assignments. The state of Iowa, and federal law, also prohibits such discrimination.

But Halferty believes his own Christian belief system will be violated if he is forced to allow the unnamed student to construct an altar for a religion Halferty believes is "wrong and bad for youth."

http://www.care2.com/causes/education/blog/teacher-violates-religious-freedom-of-a-student-witch/

The above link refers to an article about a student who is a practicing witch wanting to show materials of his faith as a project.

Comments?

DuncanONeil
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
You forgot about the biggest requirement of all, the Constitution!

If this violates his christian belief system than his belief system is not very strong.

Based on what I heard recently, from a converted Muslim, that religion is "wrong and bad for youth." Is he going tp prevent displays of Islam. Halferty is an idiot!

"Guthrie Center High School has a policy prohibiting discrimination against students who express their religious beliefs as part of school assignments. The state of Iowa, and federal law, also prohibits such discrimination.

But Halferty believes his own Christian belief system will be violated if he is forced to allow the unnamed student to construct an altar for a religion Halferty believes is "wrong and bad for youth."

http://www.care2.com/causes/education/blog/teacher-violates-religious-freedom-of-a-student-witch/

The above link refers to an article about a student who is a practicing witch wanting to show materials of his faith as a project.

Comments?

Ozme52
03-05-2010, 09:00 PM

denuseri
03-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I personally think the teacher is this case was in the wrong.

Religious freedom and tolerance are supposed to be one of the cornerstones of our country.

Thorne
03-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Teachers are hired to teach a curriculum, within the guidelines of the school district and the law. If their silly superstitions won't allow them to do that they should think very hard about finding another job.

thir
03-06-2010, 08:41 AM
I personally think the teacher is this case was in the wrong.

Religious freedom and tolerance are supposed to be one of the cornerstones of our country.

I agree. And any lingering fear of other religions with a bad name might be helped on by clear information of what it is actually about.

DuncanONeil
03-06-2010, 10:10 AM
That's the problem! The "shop teacher" thought he new about them.

I agree. And any lingering fear of other religions with a bad name might be helped on by clear information of what it is actually about.

Ozme52
03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah, he was against worshipping stones and trees and such...

While having no problem with the eucharist, (but that's just a "symbol" so it isn't the same thing at all,) wood shaped into a cross, christmas trees (so it's really only "some" trees he has a problem with,) and of course, easter bunnies.