PDA

View Full Version : Can biting/pinching permanently damage the nipples?

munajadida
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I like having my nipples bitten or pinched really hard. We don't do nipple clamps or other mechanical pinching because they're pierced and that would hurt in a bad way! But is biting or pinching with fingers enough to permanently damage them? We plan on having kids and I'm going to breastfeed - I had no problems nursing my son, but I worry that I may hurt something and have trouble nursing future kids.

fetishdj
03-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Its a hard one to answer because you have to define how hard you bite or pinch... you should also be aware that there is a risk (a small one but there all the same) that piercing can damage the nipples - especially if it gets infected or you have repeated piercings in the same place.

I would say that yes you can damage the nipples if you bite or pinch too hard. In theory you can bite the nipple right off if you bite hard enough and the human jaw can exert that much pressure. However, very few go that far. Use some common sense and build up your level of biting/pinching in slow stages. If at any point you get unusual sensations, colours or loss of sensation stop immediately and seek medical advice. However, for normal 'biting' it should not be a problem and since you are wary of nipple clamps because of the pain I suspect you are not biting that hard...

daala
04-01-2010, 08:55 PM
While I do not have any evidence (besides anecdotal) to back this up, I would say that it would really take a lot to permanently damage your nipples enough to inhibit breastfeeding. You said you are not using clamps and that is the big thing that I would worry about because of the potential for prolonged restriction of blood flow.

I myself used to have my nipples pierced until I got pregnant. We have done a lot of nipple pinching/biting and have also used clamps. Plus, I am currently nursing a 2.5 year old and an 11 month old, and I am almost three months pregnant (yes, all planned, and yes, we are crazy but we look forward to having a big family) and my nipples are still in perfect working order :)

flying66
04-05-2010, 03:35 PM
actually my piercer says that it's possible that nipple piercings may damage your ability to breastfeed. I don't know about playing and clamping etc. though.

munajadida
04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
actually my piercer says that it's possible that nipple piercings may damage your ability to breastfeed. I don't know about playing and clamping etc. though.

Now this I know about. I am a lactation educator. :d I teach breastfeeding classes. While a piercing may sever a few milk ducts, it's nowhere near enough to interfere with breastfeeding. The only issue may be that a bit of milk may come out of the holes.

flying66
04-06-2010, 10:36 AM
oh wow really? hm... you learn something new every day XD that's good to know

lozzy
04-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Now this I know about. I am a lactation educator. :d I teach breastfeeding classes. While a piercing may sever a few milk ducts, it's nowhere near enough to interfere with breastfeeding. The only issue may be that a bit of milk may come out of the holes.

So, say I get pregnant.. would the best thing to do be to take the piercing out asap so the holes have more time to heal? Or will this not make a difference?

munajadida
04-22-2010, 07:33 PM
So, say I get pregnant.. would the best thing to do be to take the piercing out asap so the holes have more time to heal? Or will this not make a difference?

It won't make a difference. It may or may not ever close up entirely. Some people can leave theirs out for years and pop them right back in, others can't leave them out for more than an hour without them closing. Some people leave them in, but I wouldn't recommend it due to the risk of damage to the baby's palate.

nawteeone
05-03-2010, 03:20 PM
OK, so back to clamps....how long is safe to leave them on? M has some nasty little jobs he got at the hardware store, and only once have I flat out refused-it was after a lot of pretty hard pinching/pulling (over a 2 day period) and the pain of them being on after that totally transcended into the This Isn't Fun Anymore zone and I flat out told him to get them off! (I really thought they might pop right off....my nipples, not the clamps!)

Ozme52
05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
How long? As long as it takes to change from acute pain to a dull ache or numbness.

Then, when the clampls are removed, that's when the real fun begins.

Repeat as necessary... or even if not necessary.

------------------------------------
N.B. As with any play, it's more about not being left unattended.

nawteeone
05-05-2010, 06:43 AM
lol. Trust me, I was speechless when he removed them. I think I might have cried. It took a good 5 minutes to regain my composure. Yeow.

michebe(LD)
08-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I am currently breastfeeind my 17 month old, and we do enjoy a lot of nipple play ;) the only problem i have is that milk squirts out while playing lmao