PDA

View Full Version : What can we thank Obama for?

steelish
04-21-2010, 07:52 PM
I thank him for waking up America post 9/11. We fell back asleep after the towers fell, but thanks to his agenda, and the outspoken truths of those who oppose his agenda, we've (American majority) have been awaken.

Canyon
04-21-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm thinking, I'm thinking. :confused:

TantricSoul
04-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I thank him for waking up America post 9/11. We fell back asleep after the towers fell, but thanks to his agenda, and the outspoken truths of those who oppose his agenda, we've (American majority) have been awaken.

What or who exactly is the American majority?

steelish
04-22-2010, 05:11 AM

It's amazing, but out of everyone I meet, or everyone I work with, I find VERY few Obama supporters. I can safely say that at least 8 out of every 10 people I know and meet are against him and his agenda. (That includes about 7 people I've met that originally voted for him and now regret it)

And before you suggest that I know very few people (in the workplace or otherwise) - I've worked in three post offices now. The first office had over 100 people in it. Out of the 100, there were 4 who spoke out in favor of him. The remainder were a solid front AGAINST his agenda. The second office had even more people in it, and every morning the talk was political and very upset over his agenda. (it actually surprised me, given that USPS workers are government workers). The third office is much the same. I have a radio out on the loading dock where I work. Many of the carriers have asked me if I would turn on talk radio so they can hear it. (Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Todd Schnitt) In that office I have encountered only one person so far that supports what Obama is doing, and his only argument in FAVOR of Obama is that it is racist to talk against him (and he is caucasian, go figure).

My entire family with the exception of my parents are against Obama. My parents are old time die hard Dems, and think the party is the same as always. I myself am a Democrat, yet am against Obama's agenda. Both Dems and Reps can be in favor of smaller government. Both can be in favor of the Constitution, both can be in favor of progress.

oww-that-hurt
04-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Okay, steelish, you got me on this one! I usually have some (non)interesting bit of wisdom to toss out, but for some reason I can only find far too many things to thank him for that are quite negative, and will remain negative for generations to come.

Thorne
04-22-2010, 07:53 AM
After long consideration I would have to thank Obama for keeping McCain and Palin out of the White House. From what I've seen since the elections, they would have made GW's term look good.

tedteague
04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
after long consideration i would have to thank obama for keeping mccain and palin out of the white house. From what i've seen since the elections, they would have made gw's term look good.

you didnt like george washington! You traitor!

Canyon
04-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Both Dems and Reps can be in favor of smaller government. Both can be in favor of the Constitution, both can be in favor of progress.

Agreed. Any one can be in favor of smaller government and the constitution.

The leaders of the Republican Party forget these things when in power, (maybe Obama will wake them up permanently, but I doubt it, if he does then that is something he truly desrves thanks for) and the leaders of the Democratic Party only acknowledge them when it suits them, (usually when it is time to talk conservative at election time) and then disreguard them while in office.

I'm not yet really convinced that its time for a third party, but maybe I'm leaning that way. I'm not really sure a revitalized Republican party, the only other hope for limiting federal incursions, is possible, since they let money, vote grabbing, and power go to their heads.

Define what you mean by "progress." Are you speaking of technological progress, laws, social engineering, or something else.

Mirvoina
04-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Here are some things for which I think we should thank Obama. The list comes from The Daily Dish (I added the last item).

An end to illegal torture of terror suspects. A beginning to a saner method of detaining, trying and convicting terror suspects.

Adept handling of the worst financial crisis and recession since the 1930s, leading to a profitable bank bailout (excluding Freddie and Fannie) and a return to growth. Check.

Salvaging of the automobile industry, which is now showing signs of life.

Passage of an ambitious stimulus package that has helped repair many crumbling parts of the US infrastructure and poured money into green industry.

The biggest social policy reform since LBJ - guaranteeing access to health insurance for all Americans.

Financial re-regulation of an out-of-control Wall Street, and the beginnings of real scrutiny (see Goldman) of the self-serving corruption at the heart of the financial industry.

Repaired relations with Russia, leading to a new START treaty, and better relations with China, leading to a revaluation of the yuan.

Joint Chiefs' endorsement of ending Don't Ask Don't Tell.

A tough re-balancing of the US position in the Middle East, away from the Likudnik-oriented jerking knees of the last eight years, and an assertion that US foreign policy should be conducted to advance the interests of the United States, not the interests of a belligerent faction in a foreign country.

Lowering my (and probably your) taxes.

steelish
04-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Define what you mean by "progress." Are you speaking of technological progress, laws, social engineering, or something else.

Progress in the ways you've mentioned. Progress as a free, caring nation...but NOT Progressivism. That is something I am against.

denuseri
04-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Well I dont know exactly what I have to thank him for really myself as of yet other than confirming that our election proccess is based off emotion rather than reason and that someone of color can make it to the highest office. In fact...some might say it was becuase of his color (all other things being equal) that he made it to the office in the first place and they are probabely right but thats probabely a topic best left to a whole different thread.

As for the list off the daily dish there are two ways of looking at it. All those things sounded good, but so does all of any administrations telepromted propaganda,, when the results are actually added up however we ussually find a different story is to be told. Just like during his predessesors administrations.

When it comes to torture: He has said one thing, yet done another. The torture is still there people...its just not in the public eye anymore or blantently out in the open.

As for trials for the terrorists,, its a mistake to treat them as US citezans. Unless what one is trying to say is the USA looks upon all the people of the world as it's own. Which then means it is perfectly justified in enforcing its rule over them...er..wait a sec...isnt that what Obama is supporting "still",,(I say "still" becuase there is a precedent in american forgiegn policey to do as it wills when it comes to US imperialism) the same exact policies of his predessesors, only with a new coating of candy on it.

His handling of the financial situation has been quite profitable allright...profitable... for the banks and largest corperations. But...again...he just did what his predessesors allready had in effect for this. The automobile industry falls under the same catagory as the banks etc.

Passage of an ambitious stimulus package for the banks and big corperations has as yet helped to repair any of the many crumbling parts of the US infrastructure and green industry has as of yet to become affordable for the little people.

I have as of yet to see one red cent of this stimulus..my husbands business never got a dime, when it ultimately was foreclosed upon by the banks that were swimming in their own stimulus money, he ended up going back on active duty and is now part of the near continuous deployment cycle.

When I see what he has done to health care I want to cry. It is a big social policy change allright, maby even the biggest since LBJ - but what some call guaranteeing access to health insurance for all Americans; I call garanteeing that all Americans now must purchase health care one way or another or face fines and maby even jail time.

Financial re-regulation is needed allright and call me cynical, but I am sitting here expecting a good floor show (which is what we got with the other stuff) followed by a reality where the big guys yet again come out on top and we the people take it up the ass one more time.

Repaired relations with Russia,??? The Russians think Obama is a joke.

And as for China, lmao...we now owe china so much money they practically could say they own us.

Ending Don't Ask Don't Tell? I wish he would, but he hasnt yet. lol

He hasnt re-balanced anything whatsoever when it comes to the US position in the Middle East, US foreign policy has allways been conducted to advance the interests of the United States Corperate interests. Which is exactly what his predessesors have been doing and what he will continue doing...exactly zero has changed here. It is still a fight to control the oil corridor, and one thats going to get uglier.

Shifting taxes from one area to another is not lowering them. If anything ultimately I think we will see these all go up.

Eaither way its more accurate to say that again the only winner in this scenario so far is the big companies. But then why should that surprise me, when they own the people who run things...including Obama.

tedteague
04-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Well I dont know exactly what I have to thank him for really myself as of yet other than confirming that our election proccess is based off emotion rather than reason and that someone of color can make it to the highest office. In fact...some might say it was becuase of his color (all other things being equal) that he made it to the office in the first place and they are probabely right but thats probabely a topic best left to a whole different thread.

As for the list off the daily dish there are two ways of looking at it. All those things sounded good, but so does all of any administrations telepromted propaganda,, when the results are actually added up however we ussually find a different story is to be told. Just like during his predessesors administrations.

When it comes to torture: He has said one thing, yet done another. The torture is still there people...its just not in the public eye anymore or blantently out in the open.

As for trials for the terrorists,, its a mistake to treat them as US citezans. Unless what one is trying to say is the USA looks upon all the people of the world as it's own. Which then means it is perfectly justified in enforcing its rule over them...er..wait a sec...isnt that what Obama is supporting "still",,(I say "still" becuase there is a precedent in american forgiegn policey to do as it wills when it comes to US imperialism) the same exact policies of his predessesors, only with a new coating of candy on it.

His handling of the financial situation has been quite profitable allright...profitable... for the banks and largest corperations. But...again...he just did what his predessesors allready had in effect for this. The automobile industry falls under the same catagory as the banks etc.

Passage of an ambitious stimulus package for the banks and big corperations has as yet helped to repair any of the many crumbling parts of the US infrastructure and green industry has as of yet to become affordable for the little people.

I have as of yet to see one red cent of this stimulus..my husbands business never got a dime, when it ultimately was foreclosed upon by the banks that were swimming in their own stimulus money, he ended up going back on active duty and is now part of the near continuous deployment cycle.

When I see what he has done to health care I want to cry. It is a big social policy change allright, maby even the biggest since LBJ - but what some call guaranteeing access to health insurance for all Americans; I call garanteeing that all Americans now must purchase health care one way or another or face fines and maby even jail time.

Financial re-regulation is needed allright and call me cynical, but I am sitting here expecting a good floor show (which is what we got with the other stuff) followed by a reality where the big guys yet again come out on top and we the people take it up the ass one more time.

Repaired relations with Russia,??? The Russians think Obama is a joke.

And as for China, lmao...we now owe china so much money they practically could say they own us.

Ending Don't Ask Don't Tell? I wish he would, but he hasnt yet. lol

He hasnt re-balanced anything whatsoever when it comes to the US position in the Middle East, US foreign policy has allways been conducted to advance the interests of the United States Corperate interests. Which is exactly what his predessesors have been doing and what he will continue doing...exactly zero has changed here. It is still a fight to control the oil corridor, and one thats going to get uglier.

Shifting taxes from one area to another is not lowering them. If anything ultimately I think we will see these all go up.

Eaither way its more accurate to say that again the only winner in this scenario so far is the big companies. But then why should that surprise me, when they own the people who run things...including Obama.

. . . so he hasnt done anything different. ever.
AND i hope nobody thinks mccain would have handled things any differently
there isnt a two party system anymore. same party, different talking points

SadisticNature
04-26-2010, 09:56 AM
I think it says a lot that in a survey of the World's most popular leaders Obama won!

In similar surveys in the past, Bush was typically winning the most unpopular category.

I think the world-view of the US has changed for the better in the past few years.

The world at large was so fed up with U.S. unilateral interventionism that when someone won the presidency while opposing that strategy they got the Nobel Peace Prize.

In Europe, Americans are far more popular, I haven't seen a press story about Americans pinning Canadian flags to their clothing while traveling in Europe in the past two years, an event that was commented on regularly during the Bush Administration, and even suggested as a good idea by travel columnists.

DuncanONeil
05-12-2010, 06:38 AM

That may be the problem. The majority changes on a regular but inconsistent basis.

DuncanONeil
05-12-2010, 06:42 AM
If I may. One slight objection to your post.
"revitalized Republican party, the only other hope for limiting federal incursions, is possible, since they let money, vote grabbing, and power go to their heads." Both party's have that problem!

Agreed. Any one can be in favor of smaller government and the constitution.

The leaders of the Republican Party forget these things when in power, (maybe Obama will wake them up permanently, but I doubt it, if he does then that is something he truly desrves thanks for) and the leaders of the Democratic Party only acknowledge them when it suits them, (usually when it is time to talk conservative at election time) and then disreguard them while in office.

I'm not yet really convinced that its time for a third party, but maybe I'm leaning that way. I'm not really sure a revitalized Republican party, the only other hope for limiting federal incursions, is possible, since they let money, vote grabbing, and power go to their heads.

DuncanONeil
05-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Here are some things for which I think we should thank Obama. The list comes from The Daily Dish (I added the last item).

[QUOTE=Mirvoina;865996]An end to illegal torture of terror suspects. A beginning to a saner method of detaining, trying and convicting terror suspects.

Yes! He said that but as I remember the previous administration also took that action.

Adept handling of the worst financial crisis and recession since the 1930s, leading to a profitable bank bailout (excluding Freddie and Fannie) and a return to growth. Check.

Personally I believe that this only equates to the '70s. Spending was the solution in the '30s. Extended that recession out for ten years. I don't want to see that again. Most of the growth reported has come from only one sector of the economy -Government.

Salvaging of the automobile industry, which is now showing signs of life.

Taking over is not the best way to "save" anything. In fact GM is using money "borrowed" from the Government to repay previous money "borrowed" from the Government. Not much to suggest they are improving in that.

Passage of an ambitious stimulus package that has helped repair many crumbling parts of the US infrastructure and poured money into green industry.

Most of the "stimulus has yet to be spent! So I'd say it is not much of an effect. A large part of that infrastructure is something the Feds put in place and shifted the upkeep to the states. My state has a tax that is directly for maintaining the transportation infrastructure. The Governor keeps taking that money into the general fund to cover his and the state legislature overspending. Feds aren't any better.

Pouring money into green industry is kind of interesting as there really is no green industry yet. This is still being developed. Is ineffectual. No amount of Government money is really going to due what the Government claims!

The biggest social policy reform since LBJ - guaranteeing access to health insurance for all Americans.

It is not the Governments responsibility to pay for the day to day costs of the citizens.

Financial re-regulation of an out-of-control Wall Street, and the beginnings of real scrutiny (see Goldman) of the self-serving corruption at the heart of the financial industry.

A lot of the impetus behind this statement is based on assumptions. There is a significant amount of regulation already levied on the financial industries. As for Wall Street, why do you think the SEC is in existence?

Repaired relations with Russia, leading to a new START treaty, and better relations with China, leading to a revaluation of the yuan.
Unsure of this! but many still accuse China of trying to manipulate world currencies to their benefit.

Joint Chiefs' endorsement of ending Don't Ask Don't Tell.

No real comment, except as a former member of the service we did not much care. As long as a person did their job. I was even hit on while in service so don't try to hard to challenge me on this one.

A tough re-balancing of the US position in the Middle East, away from the Likudnik-oriented jerking knees of the last eight years, and an assertion that US foreign policy should be conducted to advance the interests of the United States, not the interests of a belligerent faction in a foreign country.

You really think that the US foreign policy should not consider how such policy affects the interests and safety of this country?? Some might say that Clinton's knees jerked more reflexively, and often, than most Presidents. Others might say the current President is engaging in appeasement than policy building.

Lowering my (and probably your) taxes.

Ain't gonna happen! Unless you already pay no taxes. But even that will be an illusion. Every product in the country will increase due to all the taxes being levied on business

DuncanONeil
05-12-2010, 07:08 AM
. . . so he hasnt done anything different. ever.
AND i hope nobody thinks mccain would have handled things any differently
there isnt a two party system anymore. same party, different talking points

Why do you think the term RINO was invented?

Then there is the "Independent" Liberman who meets with the Democrat Caucus, and vote with that party.

DuncanONeil
05-12-2010, 07:09 AM
I will make no comments on this message

I think it says a lot that in a survey of the World's most popular leaders Obama won!

In similar surveys in the past, Bush was typically winning the most unpopular category.

I think the world-view of the US has changed for the better in the past few years.

The world at large was so fed up with U.S. unilateral interventionism that when someone won the presidency while opposing that strategy they got the Nobel Peace Prize.

In Europe, Americans are far more popular, I haven't seen a press story about Americans pinning Canadian flags to their clothing while traveling in Europe in the past two years, an event that was commented on regularly during the Bush Administration, and even suggested as a good idea by travel columnists.

steelish
06-04-2010, 07:31 AM
From what I've seen since the elections, they would have made GW's term look good.

And Obama isn't doing that?

Thorne
06-04-2010, 07:59 AM

At this point I'd have to say he's making GW look less bad, perhaps, but not good.

steelish
06-04-2010, 08:23 AM
At this point I'd have to say he's making GW look less bad

THAT, I definitely agree with!

DuncanONeil
06-05-2010, 09:58 AM

:)