PDA

View Full Version : Breath Control /Erotic Asphyxiation

R0NSWFL
05-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Good Day, My lady has expressed a desire to experience breath control/Asphyxiation during our play. I have not tried this before and would like to hear from those that have; both sides. I am a person who likes to be in total control, so I do not believe I will use a bag or ropes but my hands. This way I believe I can control not only her breathing ability but blood flow to the brain as well. Also this will allow me to "stop" both immediately without any delay at all.

I welcome any and all comments, suggestions and any written resource that will allow me to understand the best ways to achieve the desired result.

Thank You all for your time.
Ron

flying66
05-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I see this is your first post, welcome to the library!

I remember for sure that if someone has passed out, they've already got brain damage happening.

I like this sort of play too, albeit it definitely is one of the more dangerous ones and it's good that you're asking for advice and resources. I'd say also make sure you determine a non-verbal cue to stop.

If she has little red dots around her eye area the next day then she has burst blood vessels around her eyes and they should clear up in a few days. You can get this from being asphyxiated, hanging upside-down and vomiting too hard.

WyldWyl
05-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm pretty sure that it isn't entirely true that when someone has passed out they already have brain-damage, but it is true that as soon as they go, you need to release them. It *is* best to avoid gettign them to the point of passing out if you can.

I certainly endorse only using the hands, for safety and aesthetic reasons. Using a bag is dangerous because they can be tricky to get off in a hurry, and using any kind of ligature strangulation (e.g. with a rope) carries a real risk of damaging the trachea or other soft tissue in the area. It's also iffy about cutting off the blood supply. The safest way to breath control it is with a hand over their nose and mouth, rather than applying any pressure to the throat or neck. You can do it to the throat and neck, but you need to be especially careful and apply the pressure over as wide an area as possible.

The most important thing is to keep in contact so you can see the state your sub is in- as flying said, a non-verbal safeword is a must, and you need to watch them like a hawk, too. Start very slowly, is the best possible advice, and don't build it up too fast; the eroticism is from the control and trust, rather than the physical sensations themselves.

Jennifer Williams
05-07-2010, 10:10 PM
This is my little one's favorite kind of play and we do this nearly every day. He likes to have his face sat on so that he can't breathe. Because I am always in contact with his face I can feel any change of expression at all, and we've developed a cue where he blinks to tell me to get up. It works extremely well, but we did not get there overnight; the first time probably lasted for a few seconds because I was terrified of crushing him. Now he'll go sometimes forty-five seconds, take just two or three breaths, and then go for more (but not for as long). He likes to be suffocated many times in a row with just a few breaths in between; I pay very close attention to the color of his face and the depth of his gasps; but we have been doing this for years; I do not recommend starting off like that.

I've never used something like a timer, but we did start very short and then slowly build up to longer amounts of time, until I became confident enough that I could read all of his body signals; chest motion, stomach motion, arms, hands, legs. He has passed out on me twice: both times because he didn't signal me to get up because he wanted to pass out (he was punished harshly afterward for scaring the crap out of me and for going too far without telling me he was thinking that! Ooooh, we had a long argument oh I was so mad).

I would recommend never using an object; you have the most control over your own body, you can react instantly if something goes wrong, and you can feel your sub directly. Like WyldWyl said, watch them like a hawk.

Okay, now that I've laid the safety on so thick you're probably scared out of your brain, keep in mind that this kind of play can be very, very rewarding. The level of trust that you build between you and your sub is beautifully deep; the level of non-verbal communication necessary will teach you new things about your sub that you never would have otherwise known.

So in short: Try it; start slow and small, pay attention, and reap delicious rewards. :)

ickleimi
05-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm afraid as a nurse I have to warn against it. ANY oxygen deprivation or drop in saturation levels to the brain and other vital organs including the heart can lead to long term damage especially as nuerones in the brain are unable to repair themselves.

Brain damage doesn't happen all in one go but drops as little as 2% in blood oxygen levels start damaging neurones. I used to have an interest in this myself but through my nursing career learnt the risks. An alternative suggestion which we have used instead which provides a similar feeling is pressure on the chest (weight and prolongued eg body weight from lying on someone not for example punching), being forced to drink, or punishment for not holding breath for a certain length of time

but to summarise it is erotic, it does give you a buzz but it is very dangerous in many ways!

Jennifer Williams
05-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I hardly think holding your breath for short periods of time (whether voluntary or because you have to) will cause brain damage. Professional swimmers can hold their breath for far longer periods of time and they are quite healthy athletes.

tina2008
05-09-2010, 07:38 AM
I love when Sir decides to use breath control. We don't use ropes, bags or anything of that nature. Sir places one hand around my throat, gently apply pressure on the side of my neck (avoid the trachea) kiss me and "literally" take my breath away. ~yum!!

This might not appeal to edge players, but this is certainly something I love and He enjoys my reaction.

Be safe!!

DarkPachuco
05-09-2010, 05:16 PM
One of my favorite things to do is to wrap my hand around her neck and just slowly start squeezing until she gives me the warning signal.
On the phone I make her hold her breathe and then breathe deeply and cycle it out. Makes it hard for them to keep up with you.

13'sbadkitty
05-10-2010, 06:02 PM
I love when Sir decides to use breath control. We don't use ropes, bags or anything of that nature. Sir places one hand around my throat, gently apply pressure on the side of my neck (avoid the trachea) kiss me and "literally" take my breath away. ~yum!!

This might not appeal to edge players, but this is certainly something I love and He enjoys my reaction.

Be safe!!

W/we do something similar, and i love it...it took a while to find a spot where the effect was good for me as i also mark easily on my throat. He says He looks for my hand as i always reach out just before i pass out. i love it and it creates a calm submission in me the way nothing else does it also makes me extremely hot!

fetishdj
05-11-2010, 01:55 AM
I've done breath control with an inflatable mask - with breathing tubes that can be closed off. It was wierd and fun... and is easy to restore the air by letting go of the tube (Mistress simply pinched it with her fingers). I've also done it with a latex gloved hand and a pussy (as described above). Not sure which is better but they were all carried out safely and for not very long periods (though it feels longer when you are doing it).

denuseri
05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Certian bdsm "experts" like Wiseman claim breath play cant be done safely becuase of an increased chance for stroke or heart attack during play but his claims are not confirmed, tough some judo instructors that had frequent choke out submission holds preformed upon them over time did show signs of hypoxia induced brain damage.

Anytime you fiddle with O2 uptake and blood supply to the brain there is a certian amount of brain hypoxeia and cell damage does occur, and yes free divers and long distance swimmers can and do kill some brain cells when they ply their sports on occassion, but so do smokers and drinkers when they ply theirs.

Using your hands to stop carotid blood flow is ussually the safest so long as your not taking her to the point of unconsciousness, or repeatabely keeping her down near un-consciousness over and over in any given session, or over too many sessions over any given time frame. Like with anything else moderation is key.

A word on safe words:

Never ever use a safe word as a crutch or excuse, verbal, non-verbal or otherwise, dont think just becuase she doesnt safe word out for whatever reason that she wants or needs more of whatever it is.

The ultimate onis of responsibility for her saftey during any kind of bdsm play (including breath play) rests solely on the shoulders of you the dominant.

Besides "safe words or gestures" are hardely even close to reliable when your submissive is in the ultered state of estatic near-consciouness brought on by the oxygen deprived state of euphoria during breath play.

Ive done a lot of diferent kinds of breath play, everything from "queening" to "hanging" and as some of the others have pointed out, the safest form if of course using ones hand to apply gentle pressure to the carotid or to cup the mouth and nose.

But if you use any form of device, whatever you do, do not leave her unattended for any reason.

Remember: The number one cuase of bdsm related deaths is via self bondage asphyxiation.

Whatever you do, be prepared and know how to treat for shock, fainting, and or asphyxiation if they occur.

Beardy
06-18-2010, 04:33 AM
I've found if I cover my slaves nose with my mouth and blow into it it causes a suffication kind of feeling....without actually causing any harm or suffucation

Ozme52
06-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Good Day, My lady has expressed a desire to experience breath control/Asphyxiation during our play. I have not tried this before and would like to hear from those that have; both sides. I am a person who likes to be in total control, so I do not believe I will use a bag or ropes but my hands. This way I believe I can control not only her breathing ability but blood flow to the brain as well. Also this will allow me to "stop" both immediately without any delay at all.

I welcome any and all comments, suggestions and any written resource that will allow me to understand the best ways to achieve the desired result.

Thank You all for your time.
Ron

Lots of advice and opinions.

Be careful even with your hands... your hands are far far stronger than her larynx. The hyoid bone is quite vunerable. I especially suggest you refrain from any activity which might result in you having an orgasm while her neck is in your hands.

_ID_
06-22-2010, 08:37 PM
I once put together a page of notes on the various risks for breath play.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd8hdfz9_17wp5kwrsm

Use what you want, toss the rest.

tadri
06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
I went out with a guy who used to press down lightly on my throat region without any specific pressure on my larynx or anything, and he never completely cut off my air, if I had pulled back, I would have been able to breathe properly, but it was enough to create the pressure and the sensation. My advice would be to start very slowly and play with those sensations, and try to get as much out of it with as little pressure and full-on restriction as possible.

wicker
10-14-2010, 12:29 AM
probably the single most dangerous aspect of the lifestyle, so many ways to do it, such a turn on for many, just be aware of the risks, coz no matter what anyone says, your more than likely going to try some form of it.
i especially enjoy the clear baggie on the head, fastened tight and knowing that i only have a couple of minutes of air, as for brain damage.. well, alcohol too causes that, and kills more people than "edge playing".
moderation is the watch word

ropekitty
11-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I would not ever consider doing breath play with someone who doesn't know what they are doing. If I had to be a demo bottom to someone learning in a controlled setting I would maybe consider it. I do enjoy breath play. Note: my one partner was very good at it and I knew He came with good references. My other partner was a ProDom and I've known/been with Him for 10 years now.

On the safety note: Yes you can die/kill someone. . . need more safety tips? ummm they have safety classes.

I know there is a guy who teaches this topic at events, His name excapses me at this moment (sorry). But my partner had seen His classes and watched the guy "safely" drop 3 different subs/bottoms. Wigged Him out and made me wish I would've been one of those bottoms/attended the class.

More then that? eh, I'm stopping here, I don't feel the need to upset many more with my own opinions on this lovely topic.

~RK~

armybondy
11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
My husband likes to do this with me. He simply puts his hands behind my head to cradle it and reaches up with his thumbs to push on my arteries to cut off the blood flow. He watches my face very closely while he is doing it, and I don't fight him on it, so the second I want let loose, I simply slap his back and he lets me go, and if he doesn't like my facial expressions, he'll let go. I've been close to passing out, but never actually did because he'd notice my inability to respond to him in any way.