PDA

View Full Version : Out of the house - back in the kitchen?

thir
05-21-2010, 04:05 PM
I saw this petition suggestion today, and wonder if such statements as quoted here are really legal???

"Denounce Republican Sexism
Target: Medina, Ohio Republican Party and GOP Congressional candidate Tom Ganley
Sponsored by: Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee
GOP operatives in Ohio recently sent around a newsletter encouraging constituents to help "take Rep. Betty Sutton out of the House and put her back in the kitchen."

This comment comes not long after House Republicans said that Speaker Pelosi should be "put in her place."

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/455/795/923

denuseri
05-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Public petitons can have a wide range of things in them here in the USA, but dont break any laws in and of themselves unless they are inciting a riot or crying fire in a theater when there is no fire...so: in so far as I know any so called petition such as the one being so unfocused as the one in question isnt legal or illegal, just another form of free speech.

gagged_Louise
05-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Sounds common even if it's rather crude. The overt sexism wouldn't work around here, but I know a one-time gov't secretary in my country (he's dead now) who famously said of an opposition party leader "He may be good at counting, but it don't matter hpw much he'll count about, because his brain is faultily programmed".

Thorne
05-22-2010, 05:32 AM
I'd like to see a link to that newsletter, and maybe some information about these GOP "operatives." This sounds more like Christian fundamentalists than mainstream Republicans. Statements like this would likely cost you half the votes in your next reelection campaign.

Actually, if I didn't already know that there were misogynistic idiots out there who are capable of something like this, I might almost be inclined to believe it was a ploy of the Democrats.

DuncanONeil
05-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Don't know anything about Sutton, but Pelosi definitely does not belong in the House let alone the Speaker's seat. So a statement about putting Pelosi in her place is not sexist. Which is what you are trying to imply!

I saw this petition suggestion today, and wonder if such statements as quoted here are really legal???

"Denounce Republican Sexism
Target: Medina, Ohio Republican Party and GOP Congressional candidate Tom Ganley
Sponsored by: Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee
GOP operatives in Ohio recently sent around a newsletter encouraging constituents to help "take Rep. Betty Sutton out of the House and put her back in the kitchen."

This comment comes not long after House Republicans said that Speaker Pelosi should be "put in her place."

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/455/795/923

denuseri
05-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Coughs...thir wasnt implying anything in so far as I could see Duncan so much as bringing what someone else off the site was doing/saying to our collective attentions.

<<simpley doesnt understand why some people want to "personalize" everything.

thir
05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Don't know anything about Sutton, but Pelosi definitely does not belong in the House let alone the Speaker's seat. So a statement about putting Pelosi in her place is not sexist. Which is what you are trying to imply!

Does she belong in the kitchen??

If she is a bad politician, does that mean she has to be a good cook? ;-)

MMI
05-23-2010, 02:48 PM
I know that British politicians - male and female - have been found cooking the books ...

blacqcobra
05-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Maybe 'm nuts here or out of bounds whatever. But I like Nancy Pelosi. And as far as the kitchen thing. I don't think it's christian fundamentlist that said it It would've been more cruder like" bare feet pregnant and in the kitchen bedroom type thing. Thinking about it though Pelosi is a hottie. ...But then again always had a thing for older women. since 16

thir
05-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I know that British politicians - male and female - have been found cooking the books ...

Quite!

But you do not need to do that in the kitchen ;-)

TantricSoul
05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Nancy Pelosi is quickly becoming one of the most effective and powerful Speakers the House has ever seen. Just earlier this week I was reading an article from the Washington Post ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/02/AR2010050202769.html?wprss=rss_nation

... about her accomplishments in her position and was amazed at what she has done. She is exactly where she belongs, in the office/position she legally holds, and seems to be quite good at.