PDA

View Full Version : Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution

Stealth694
05-30-2010, 09:32 AM
"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States."

Considering the opinion of Congress these days who thinks this Amendment will pass and is it a sign of things to come??

Miamhail
05-30-2010, 10:28 AM
My understanding is this is part of a larger proposal. It is the opening to add a 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st, and 32nd amendment. The 28th is in regards to citizens right to work. The 29th applies to health care. The 30th details family. The 31st deals with confidentiality. And the 32nd outlines foreign policy. It looks like it's an online petition. While the basic premises is good, I don't see it passing anytime soon. The way it is written will ensure it never passes. But, by submitting it, it will remind out Representation in Washington what we as Americans feel strongly about.

Stealth694
05-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Nicely Put, this is the type of bill that makes Politicians Sweat a little in the good times, Sweat Heavily in the bad times,, and Soak thier clothes in times like these.

DuncanONeil
05-30-2010, 03:57 PM
First I would call it redundant as the members of Congress are already citizens of the USA!
Second, they would likely pass it relying on the states to not ratify.
Third we could just amend the First Amendment by deliting everything after the word "law"

"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States."

Considering the opinion of Congress these days who thinks this Amendment will pass and is it a sign of things to come??

grinner666
05-30-2010, 10:48 PM
This "proposed amendment" is a piece of Interwebz nonsense that's been making the rounds for a few months now. It's mostly crap, as are the "rationales" (actually rationalizations) behind it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/28thamendment.asp

DuncanONeil
05-31-2010, 06:05 AM
So I take it then that you are suggesting that discussion of such a proposition is not grist for discussion since it has not hit any "official" status as a proposition for inclusion in the Constitution?
Or that only things Snopes reports as true deserve discussion?

This "proposed amendment" is a piece of Interwebz nonsense that's been making the rounds for a few months now. It's mostly crap, as are the "rationales" (actually rationalizations) behind it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/28thamendment.asp