PDA

View Full Version : sex in the pool

pixie_piper
06-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Funny that one of the most vanilla kinks gives me the most concern lol. A friend and i were talking about it and i just can't imagine how that much chlorine up there could possibly be healthy. Still, i hear people do it all the time...So here's my question: are there any health risks to sex in a swimming pool?

denuseri
06-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Well, according to Dawn Stacey M.Ed, LMHC:

In general, water itself does not pose a problem; the bigger issue becomes what exactly is in the water. Water containing salt, chlorine or bacteria can be forced into the vagina by the thrusting motion of sex; this could lead to irritation or infection.

Having sex in a pool or Jacuzzi poses a higher risk of infection. According to research at the University of California, Santa Barbara, water teeming with microbes can get forced into the vagina. “Sometimes residential (and commercial) hot tubs, pools and Jacuzzis are not chlorinated adequately, increasing the amount of bacteria they contain and the likelihood of an infection. Even if the water has a chlorine level in accordance to government standards, there is still a risk of infection.” Also, “chlorine may disrupt healthy bacteria and change the natural pH in the vagina leading to a yeast infection.”

Having sex in the ocean or a lake can also pose problems. Although these places do not pose chemical/chlorine issues, according to Health & Sexuality columnist, Lisa Hermann, you should “be aware that natural bodies of water have the potential to harbor some unusual bacteria and/or amoebas” which could put a woman at risk for a urinary tract infection.

Women are more susceptible to infections during water sex due to their anatomical differences. This risk includes sexually transmitted infections, urinary tract infections, yeast infections, and the added issue of sexual friction (due to less lubrication) that can result in irritation and micro-tears to the vaginal walls. These tears open up a direct route for infections and could increase the chances of catching a sexually transmitted disease.

What do you do if you really want to have water sex and want protection from pregnancy and infections?
The solution: Use a female condom. They are a dependable contraceptive for water sex because:

of its design. Since it is made to be inserted into the female body, less water will affect it, so its less likely to slide out.

they're made of polyurethane and not latex. This makes them a safer and stronger option because oil-based lubricants or substances in the water will not cause them to break. This does NOT mean male condoms made of polyurethane are just as reliable in the water. Research shows that polyurethane male condoms have a higher breakage rate than latex ones. The advantage of the female condom is its placement (inside the vagina, so it’s less likely to slip out).

Reality female condoms are also lubricated inside and out.
To increase the effectiveness, a woman should insert the female condom before going into the water. This way, the lubrication that is already inside the condom is less likely to wash off. Additionally, because a woman can put on a female condom before getting into the pool, Jacuzzi, or hot tub, it is considered a more discreet contraceptive method.

Make it your goal to be careful and safe. You will need to use some form of birth control to prevent pregnancy; it is always wiser to use some type of method than none. Finally, don’t ignore the increased risks for infection. That being said, sex under water can be enjoyed effectively, just make sure to plan ahead for this exotic way to add some spice to your love life."