PDA

View Full Version : Numb/tingling feeling during bondage

phantasy_seeker
06-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I understand that most sites recommend that at no time should a sub's limbs feel even the slightest bit numb or tingly during bondage, and if they do, a bond is too tight.

However, from my experience, I have found that the only times when I do not feel even the slightest bit numb/tingly is in very loose or relaxing bondage. Even a spread-eagled tie on the bed makes them feel a little numb. A simple hogtie, definitely. Elbows a few inches apart, definitely. That basically leaves me with either a simple hands-behind-back or with restraints so loose that I can easily wriggle out of them.

D and I use soft rope for our undertakings, he wraps it around a couple of times to prevent it from cutting into skin, or uses scarves. Can't afford nice leather cuffs I'm afraid. Besides, I'm sure lots of people just use rope... right?

Is it maybe okay for a tiny bit of tingling/numbness as long as it doesn't get to the point where you can't feel the limb or it starts to color up?

fetishdj
06-10-2010, 01:29 AM
You might want to try stimulating your circulation before being tied as it sounds like you have a very bad circulation - do you get cold feet and hands a lot?

Can't really say if your tingling/numbness is a bad thing or not without experiencing it as there are degrees of this. So I would still be wary about suggesting that it is 'ok'. Certainly the major signs you need to look for are colour changes.

You could try looking into some shibari techniques and see if there are any methods which allow restriction without this effect - loose ties but still difficult to move or wriggle out of. There may be some if you look. Also, perhaps flat ties of some sort instead of the round ones?

You say leather cuffs are out of your price range but have you considered PVC ones? You may be surprised at how cheap you can get even leather ones if you shop around.

Jennifer Williams
06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Are your arms/legs elevated when you're bound? That can reduce blood flow. Perhaps try a position where your arms and legs are lower than your abdomen (tied face-down on a bench with your hands and legs bound to the legs, for example). The gravity might be enough to increase blood flow so you don't get as much tingling sensation.

I would be really careful about this; tingling and numbness every time you're tied won't be good over the long run. Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about ways to improve your circulation.

denuseri
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Its actually quite common, especially when doing certian types of bondage especially with some positional/suspensions and not something to freak out about as you can read below.

According to my Owner:

"One should be observant and never leave a girl unattended while she is bound.

If you are suspending her from her wrists I advise extreme caution, without the proper support it is very easy to dislocate her shoulders and or to suffocate her.

Improper application of bindings; from rope to handcuffs, can cause pressure ulcers, bruising and open wounds in as little as 20 minutes.

Never tie a knot against the skin or bury a knot were it is not clearly visible to the naked eye.

Be aware of the difference between reduced circulation and nerve compression.

With reduced blood flow there is first a sensation of tingling and then pins and needles.

One may see their slave wiggling her hands or playing with her fingers and toes during this stage.

Shortly after the effected the area will go numb. It can take as long as 15 minutes.

Any time a limb is elevated above the plane of the heart the process is accelerated.

Reduced blood circulation is not usually permanently damaging unless it goes to the point at which necrosis would set in.

I do not recommend exceeding 4 hour durations.

Sometimes if tied for an extended period of time a slave may become paralyzed in the effected limb for as long as hours or days afterwards; so I recommend re-positioning and or re-circulating blood flow every so often during a session if possible to avoid this.

If they cannot move their fingers or toes, at any time during the session, or are experiencing a sharp 'drilling" pain as opposed to a normal type of muscle tension spasm or the tingling described above, you need to change the way they are tied because you have compressed a nerve and it can cause permanent damage in a very short period of time!

Do not let her lock her knees, especially if she is standing and do not put to much pressure on the chest with any bindings, or she can easily pass out.

Have a set of bandage scissors ready or a good knife in case you have to cut her down.

Untie her from feet to head so she doesn't fall over.

Avoid burning her by carefully removing the rope from where it is placed as opposed to tugging or pulling it off.

Don't expect a slave that’s been released from a position they have held for 15 minutes or longer (tied or untied) to be able to jump up and run around. The joints often take more time to re-perfuse and movement should be done slow and safe.

Be ready to help her.

Sub-drop is much more common after a heavy scene when a girl is bound. Always be ready for aftercare and have plenty of ways for her to rehydrate.

Regardless of what else; if an emergency develops knowing how to treat for "shock" and being able and ready to perform CPR until EMT's can arrive is essential for any dominant weather you are using rope or not.

Always plan ahead!!!"

thir
06-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I understand that most sites recommend that at no time should a sub's limbs feel even the slightest bit numb or tingly during bondage, and if they do, a bond is too tight.

However, from my experience, I have found that the only times when I do not feel even the slightest bit numb/tingly is in very loose or relaxing bondage. Even a spread-eagled tie on the bed makes them feel a little numb. A simple hogtie, definitely. Elbows a few inches apart, definitely. That basically leaves me with either a simple hands-behind-back or with restraints so loose that I can easily wriggle out of them.

D and I use soft rope for our undertakings, he wraps it around a couple of times to prevent it from cutting into skin, or uses scarves. Can't afford nice leather cuffs I'm afraid. Besides, I'm sure lots of people just use rope... right?

Is it maybe okay for a tiny bit of tingling/numbness as long as it doesn't get to the point where you can't feel the limb or it starts to color up?

According to people who say they know, having this tingling again and again is not a good idea.

I was wondering: are you familiar with the kind of leather cuffs you can buy to protect sore wrists? You can get them at the pharmacist. If you wear those, you should be able to have a tight rope on the outside of those without any problems.

wicker
10-14-2010, 12:40 AM
you really should look at the leather cuffs thing again, there are so many out there in all price ranges, you dont need to spend a fortune to get these either, just one example is this http://www.honour.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=309&products_id=476. and hey they look good too.

Zarine13
10-14-2010, 04:52 AM
You don't really need leather cuffs. Go to a pet store and see if you can find some collars for dogs or cats that will work just as well.

ropekitty
11-03-2010, 09:21 PM
There is a difference in the feelings that one gets, so saying numb and tingling feeling. . . that could mean different things to different people. And by assuming that everyone knows what those to terms/ideas are referring to most people panic far before anything is really going "wrong."

I spend enough time in ropes to know what the difference is when I feel it between good pain and bad pain. Bondage/rope bondage/rope suspensions are not meant to be comfty and fuzzy and nothing ever "hurts" when you get tied. That's just my own view on it tho. Clearly I can't state it as well as others out there. . . but knowing the difference between good pain and bad pain will help just about anyone.

Note: I have been tied so tie and fucked that I thought holy shit my arms are gonna have some "serious" damage. It was when I first started out in bondage/rope work. Turns out yes my arms needed a recovery time and yes they had lovely marks for a longer period of time. No damage lasting damage was done and I learned how far I could push my arms/body in a tight tie. . .that and the sex was great. I don't suggest people do this with anyone who doesn't know what they are doing (the out come won't be the same).

~RK~