PDA

View Full Version : Professions

Adamoverjules
11-16-2004, 11:26 AM
I have been wondering lately what is the most common profession of those involved in this lifestyle. I have heard that many are in 'caring' type professions, teachers, therapists, doctors. I'm sure there are more...I tried to make a poll out of this, but I can't figure it out. So what are they? What do you get up everyday and do to make money to buy those toys we all love so much?

Shadoom
11-16-2004, 01:44 PM
I have been wondering lately what is the most common profession of those involved in this lifestyle. I have heard that many are in 'caring' type professions, teachers, therapists, doctors. I'm sure there are more...I tried to make a poll out of this, but I can't figure it out. So what are they? What do you get up everyday and do to make money to buy those toys we all love so much?

I'm a computer programmer and writer. The love of my life works for a major "aid" organization in disaster recovery.

I make most of my own toys; it gives them a "personal" touch... ;)

BabySub
11-16-2004, 02:51 PM
I'm a shop worker. Till work and other shop work... Nothing exciting, sorry. :rolleyes:

Wontworry
11-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Architect.

Just out of interest ... my sub is seriously turned on by my drawing board (or perhaps me working at my drawing board and what she can do for me while I am there) ... its funny but I never thought of a drawing board as a sex toy .. still you learn something everyday !!!

Nightstriker
11-16-2004, 06:35 PM
I personally am a University student. Noting too exciting for me either though it is very nice what I learn on a daily basis.

vistana
11-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Same as Nightstriker.

So so far we have more students than any other profession. :D

Lil One
11-16-2004, 07:05 PM
I'm a computer analyst.....~yawn~........

acissej
11-16-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm a fiction editor, though perpetually considering other options.

Devilishturtles
11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Nothing too exciting here. I manage a retail pet department, and go to college in the evenings. I do get to play with fish all day though, which is kinda cool. :rolleyes:

slavelucy
11-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Research Assistant..which seems to have become editing and reading all the time. Oh well.

Interestingly enough, my Dom seems to like the fact that i know different things to Him. Personally, i always admire people who can do things i cannot, sometimes to the point of turning me on.

sl

Chuckdom19
11-16-2004, 10:49 PM
I know of 3 Emergency Room nurses on site, 2 teachers, and one lazy jerk (which would be me, of course). My partner was 30 years a nurse as well.

erotic_nibbles
11-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Professional Temporary Employee...and I love it :)
~~nibbles~~

BDSM_Tourguide
11-16-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm a bum. I sit around on the computer all day and babysit my daughter while my wife is at work.

In other words, I contribute nothing to the relationship, other than services that could just as easily be provided by a 12-year-old girl.

learningtopleez
11-16-2004, 11:34 PM
I would be one of those ER nurses mentioned above. An LPN for 23 years :eek: I plan to go back to college (:eek: again) in January to get my RN :)

wannabeXopsed
11-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Hello, I work at a grocery store and have checked out every fruit and vegetables possible for the last 30 years. I often wonder how many of those English cucumbers are really used for salad? :D Or how about some of the really green banana's, there very hard and won't be ready for eating for a couple of days. why would you buy them? :eek:

T :p

TaintedJohn
11-17-2004, 02:22 AM
What do you get up everyday and do to make money to buy those toys we all love so much?

Poker

tj

yellowrose
11-17-2004, 03:04 AM
I am one of the other ER nurses mentioned. BSN-RN contemplating going on for my MSN-FNP.

e.b.
11-17-2004, 07:43 AM
I'm a bum. I sit around on the computer all day and babysit my daughter while my wife is at work.

In other words, I contribute nothing to the relationship, other than services that could just as easily be provided by a 12-year-old girl.

I'm assuming that you're being facetious (you, facetious, TG?...nah, never),
but still I'm going to be a bit of a nurturing little mother hen here for a moment. :p I have a lot of respect for all the househubbies and housewives out there. I am sure it benefits your children in more ways than we could ever know. (Oh, and chksng, that goes for you too even though it's not your quotation up there.) ;)

And besides, I'd rather listen to an intelligent bum than an idiotic "professional whatever" anyday. Much more interesting IMHO.

Back on topic now, I'd agree with the original poster...there do seem to be a lot of teachers, students, and people in health care professions. It makes sense to me as these professions encourage inquisitive thinking, a desire to be constantly learning, and compassion for others...all excellent qualities for any member of the bdsm community to possess.

Just my two cents. Feel free to do with them what you wish.

eb

p.s.--and yes, I'm one of the ER nurses too...except in my ER there are lots of fuzzy creatures instead of crazy human patients. yay. :)

Eraser
11-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Consultant in the development of specail intrest web sites.

BDSM_Tourguide
11-17-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm assuming that you're being facetious

No, this is one of those rare occasiona where I was being perfectly serious. For what I do around here, I could just as easily be replaced by an au pair.

Well, except that I work for free (room and board excepted, of course).

slavelucy
11-17-2004, 11:43 AM
And besides, I'd rather listen to an intelligent bum than an idiotic "professional whatever" anyday.

Amen to that.

Besides, a 12 year girl old couldn't supermoderate these forums, TG, she'd be kicked off...by you. :p

sl

jaeangel
11-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Hello, I work at a grocery store and have checked out every fruit and vegetables possible for the last 30 years. I often wonder how many of those English cucumbers are really used for salad? :D Or how about some of the really green banana's, there very hard and won't be ready for eating for a couple of days. why would you buy them? :eek:

T :p

About those green bananas...my mother runs/manages and ice cream shop. When she goes looking for bananas for smoothies and sundaes, she gets the green ones because she never knows how many of those she might sell a day and the bananas have to last at least two or three days. So they do have other uses than as toys...

jaeangel
11-17-2004, 11:53 AM
I'm also a writer, full time, at home. Not making any money off it yet, but hopefully someday...

azure_eyes
11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
lets see, i work with a bunch of men as a billing clerk for mechanics(hehehe.. gotta love my job sometimes!!) and i am a college student in the evening time trying to get my teacher's certification

azzie

Kalluss
11-17-2004, 10:40 PM
I am an Electrical Engineer and writer of young adult stories... sad cause I keep trying for adult stuff and it keeps coming out kiddy... sigh

Oh yeah and full time cook and bottle washer at home as well. Hey wait a minute.. I cook. clean, do laundry and I'm the Dom.. something ain't right here.....

erotic_nibbles
11-17-2004, 11:08 PM
...Hey wait a minute.. I cook. clean, do laundry and I'm the Dom.. something ain't right here.....

Yeah like I keep saying...all the good ones are taken!

Just wanted to add that I have met a lot of people in the BDSM community that are lawyers and paralegals....and also, all of them I have run into are submissive......hmmmmm
~~nibbles~~

Chuckdom19
11-17-2004, 11:19 PM
I am an Electrical Engineer and writer of young adult stories... sad cause I keep trying for adult stuff and it keeps coming out kiddy... sigh

Oh yeah and full time cook and bottle washer at home as well. Hey wait a minute.. I cook. clean, do laundry and I'm the Dom.. something ain't right here.....

Gotta read the fine print of that Job Description!
When I wrote 'em professionally, the last line of every one
was, "And anything else necessary for the care and success of the business."
That way, if I told a waiter to go out and sweep snow off the steps, he couldn't say, "That's not my job!"

And for your stories, try changing that bottle of milk for a bottle of Bourbon. That's usually enough. (LOL)

new master
11-18-2004, 06:02 AM
im a bill collector

oh and i do some cooking all the laundry and errand running as well. hmmmm.what is wrong with us doms today? :p

csr
11-18-2004, 07:06 AM
I was a college prof for 11 years; just recently I followed the "those that can..." rule and left teaching to work for a high tech health-related equipment firm. I miss the students, but it was a step-up.

BDSM_Tourguide
11-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Just wanted to add that I have met a lot of people in the BDSM community that are lawyers and paralegals....and also, all of them I have run into are submissive......hmmmmm
~~nibbles~~

A large number of people in "power" careers that are involved in BDSM/kink are submissive outside of the workplace. Letting go of their control and authority, even if only for a little while, is great stress relief for those types of people. Almost like a min-vacation.

Many "power" people also utilize the services of professional dominants for exploring their kinkiness.

There's a thread about that somewhere around here.

funtime37
11-18-2004, 01:34 PM
I am a maintenance controller for a major cargo airline. my wife is a dispatcher for a big cable company. not very glamorous but it gets the bills paid. and yes i also do the house cleaning and the shopping because of my work hours.

robbermagnet
11-18-2004, 03:00 PM

Interesting question. I've been wondering this myself.

I'm a social worker and administrator, one of those "caring types" you mentioned.

By asking this question on line, you are limiting the responses to those who are computer users, or specifically, those who are adept enough with the technology to find and use a forum like this. I suspect you'll find a lot of IT folks here, not because they are more kinky, but because they might be more likely than other professions to find this forum.

When you say that many are in the "caring type" professions, would you say that's across the bdsm board? Or would you say that the caring professions tend to attract subs? I seem to meet a lot of doms who are firefighters. It will be interesting to see if there is a link between various bsdm orientations and career choice.

masterkurt
11-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Let me join in: I am a mining engineer and I must admit that I like my work very much and it has given me exciting moments (and still gives some).... I think that I became an engineer because I like tecnology and I choose mining because it sounds very adventurous and romantic ... :) and ... yes, indeed, it is.

Now, for statistical purposes, I could recall what profession my slaves were into:
the first became a lawyer and worked for the national railways;
the second ... well I don't know as I lost track
the third became archeology assistant at the university of Rome
the fourth studied to become a bibliothecarian (hope the term is correct),
the last, caroline, was a housewife, though she was a college graduate.

As far as I know, none of them browses the net, so would never meet them on a forum like this ... If I try to guess what they and other slaves I met had in common, I would pinpoint a solid cultural background and this seems to apply also to most dominants I met on the scene.

NaturalSub
11-19-2004, 08:59 AM
I'm a caring type, I'm a teacher and I also run 4 youth groups, but then, I'm in the Army and I perform as a side show artist.

I guess the major factor in all of those jobs is the responsibility of others, lots of others. I always have to be in control, therefore, I find it very hard to let go in my personal life.

When I am with my Master, it is an immediate chnge, he is in charge, and he is the one with the responsibility for others.

Master4slave
11-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Pharmacist here, heard everyone is talking about alot of health professioals in the lifestyle but not many have posted here.

Curtis
11-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Since some of the previous posters have spoken for those who have not, I'll add 10 cents here. Of the people on this board with whom I either have or do communicate on a regular basis, one runs a cash register, one works at a coffee bar, one is a college professor and one writes news for a living.

I spend the warm months doing yardwork, and during the winter I engage in Tourguide's occupation (sitting on my butt, wishing I had an au pair to play with).

Chuckdom19
11-19-2004, 09:03 PM
(snip)
I spend the warm months doing yardwork, and during the winter I engage in Tourguide's occupation (sitting on my butt, wishing I had an au pair to play with).

Shot off in the war? :D

Rex
11-20-2004, 12:55 AM
interesting topic. i used to make furniture (to buy my toys) but i think the b&d thing caught my attention as a kid. would being a musician (artist) have anything to do with it???? after all---bondage is an art form

Rex
11-20-2004, 01:00 AM
im told, if you keep bananas in a "warm" place, they ripen faster :D

spike
11-20-2004, 01:07 AM
im told, if you keep bananas in a "warm" place, they ripen faster :DUnfortunately, Rex, to ripen they need an oxygen supply. :p

Spike, fantasy deflater

wannabeXopsed
11-20-2004, 01:14 AM
I guess that was the point, those banana's would stay hard a very long time without oxygen, but on the other hand (sorta speaking)when it was lunch time it would be coming from a warm place :D

T

P.s. While I am at work, I am the Boss, so it nice to let go of that power when I get home. I just bring home the banana's. :p

Spitman
11-21-2004, 02:20 AM
I have been engaged in several kinds of professional activity, including several that have been mentioned here. My interest in bdsm started long before I had any idea which profession I was going to follow. My writing is uninfluenced by the kind of work I am presently doing. My presence here did not derive from a professional involvement in computing either.

My imagination uses tools I have acquired throughout my life, but not only through the activities that I got paid for. Expertise that I acquired through leisure pursuits comes into it too. In my experience I have something in common with MasterKurt, but also with Allyslittleone.

BDSM_Tourguide said that for people in power careers, submission could provide a form of stress relief. I don't disagree, but I cannot say that I only project power in the workplace, or that I am submissive by inclination. I do have some masochism in my makeup, but I always have to be in control.

I would add to BDSM_Tourguide's comment that there are also people who do not have the opportunity to project power at work, so do it in the bdsm lifestyle. This could be seen as a contrasting stress relief strategy. I knew a bus driver who vented all his frustration in his erotic writing. Maybe there are a lot more of those out there.

robbermagnet
11-21-2004, 08:10 AM
I have been engaged in several kinds of professional activity, including several that have been mentioned here. My interest in bdsm started long before I had any idea which profession I was going to follow. My writing is uninfluenced by the kind of work I am presently doing. My presence here did not derive from a professional involvement in computing either.

I'm not so sure the relationship, if there is one, between career choice and bdsm role is a causal one. I think it's more likely that there is a causal relationsip between personality type and bdsm role, and between personality type and career choice. The relationship between bdsm role and career choice would then be incidental.

Example. I am a social worker. Social work initially appealed to me because I get a sense of fulfillment from providing comfort and being of assistance to others. Perhaps submission is fulfilling to me for the same reason social work is: it gives me the opportunity to provide comfort and be of assistance to a dominant. But the other things that I do at work all day -- supervising a staff, generating reports, writing budgets -- in no way have any direct effect on my bdsm role, except to make me a little cranky at times. I think that this point of view (that there could be a relationsip between bdsm role and career) applies only for those individuals who chose careers based on what they might find fulfilling, or based on what where their talents lie. It woldn't necesssarily hold up for those practical individuals who see their work solely as a way to generate an income.

Lord Thomas
11-21-2004, 09:08 AM
I am the thief of the highway.

I drive for a major van line. That means I am a mover, you know those big guys that come into your old home and strip it, artistically stack everything into a trailer, close the doors and drive to a new home or storage and get your shit off of our truck.

To do My job you have to be a painslut. If you are not bleeding by ten in the morning you are not trying hard enough. Oh and if you do not hate people before becoming a mover it will take the most philanthropic a day or two to hate and loathe the rest of the human speicies.

Its a great job, if you don't die you can see america one mile at a time by the glow of your headlights. ;)

LT

Mobius
11-21-2004, 11:37 AM
For those that dont already know by reading my post's I drive the short bus.
Good job for those who dont want to work very hard. And make even less.
Although I start at 6am I am done with my morning wrote on the couch watching TV by 10:30. Then I have an after noon run from 3-4:30. After the first couple of days it gets rutine as you memorize the rought. The kids for the most part dont bother you. In the morning they sleep and in the after noon they sleep even more.

I have a self tought "IT" background of over 10 years on PC Networking and Macintosh. I got laid off due to the tech slow down and my lack of mannors on the phone back in 2000. Due to my gargantuan size and bad teeth. I was not able to find gainfull employment for over 2 years. Other than temp work. So like many of my peers I found another way of making a living. Not wanting to work at wall mart or mcdonalds. I thought of trucking. But the prospect of spending 345 plus days in the cab of a truck duanting. Driving a cab was out becouse I am not very good with directions. Then I rememberd seeing the white suberbans from back in highschool. Tracked down the company and they hired me. Not hard the repuirements are few. Clean driving record, No drugs or ahcohal and beable to pass a dot phisical.

It is now almost 3 years lator. I am still at it and I am almost making a living wage out of it. It is a good second income. If I had social security I would be in great shape. But I do not. So with my income and the perantal units Social securtiy we are making enough to support our selves.

Will I do this for another couple of years? I do not know. I have applied to Greyhound for there training program. That was 6 months ago and other than a criptic msg that they were not hiring right now I have heard nothing from them.

I think eventualy I will have to get serious about a driving carreer and get a job with a company that drives a strieght truck. but for now it is enougth

Adamoverjules
11-21-2004, 02:28 PM
I realized that I posted the topic, but completely forgot to add my own 2 cents, oops haha.
Well, right now I'm a student still, but I'm majoring in Secondary Education, probably going into Special Ed actually.

There isn't as much of a correlation as I thought there mjight be, however, it is true that this is just a small sample of the 'true' community...too bad I have no idea how to go about polling the entire BDSM community.

BorderCollie
11-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Hi Ya Gang,
I'm a motoring magazine owner/editor and 100% Aussie, my Canadian sub wife is a mad quilter/shop manager.

Cheers
BorderCollie

Master Jack's pet
11-21-2004, 08:43 PM
add another to the "helping" professionals. i'm a former special education teacher but have been a youth service professional/social service administrator for the past 20 years.

craftygirl
11-22-2004, 12:02 AM
I'm an executive assistant. :help:

*chuckle*

Artemis
11-22-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm a university student...for a few more weeks at least. :) I also work at a day care center with children ages 18 months to 13 years so I'm part of the helping professions. I wouldn't mind developing a writing career though. My Master is studying computer networking at the moment and will hopefully have something better than a student job sometime in the near future. :)

~Artemis~

Curtis
11-22-2004, 05:31 PM
:hijacked:
Hey Artemis! Long time, no see!

Magister
11-23-2004, 06:04 AM
Heh, count me in as another Special Education teacher.
:cool:

jaeangel
11-23-2004, 07:54 AM
As noted before in my other post, I am curently a full-time writer.

However in my former life as a single woman, I was a shoe salesperson, a cellular sales rep, a computer salesperson, warehouse merchandiser, deli-shop meat slicer, ice cream scooper/smoothie maker, lingerie salesperson for VS, and bookseller.

Not all at once, of course.

Artemis
11-23-2004, 04:01 PM
:hijacked:
Hey Artemis! Long time, no see!

Hey Curtis :)

Yes, it's been quite a while since I've been able to sneak into the forums and see what's being talked about. The demise of my personal computer has greatly limited my online time and so I've not been able to visit lately due to school, work, and Master's demands. I never totally disappear though. I do enjoy the forums and the people here. :)

~Artemis~

Lia
11-24-2004, 09:20 PM
A large number of people in "power" careers that are involved in BDSM/kink are submissive outside of the workplace. Letting go of their control and authority, even if only for a little while, is great stress relief for those types of people. Almost like a min-vacation.

Many "power" people also utilize the services of professional dominants for exploring their kinkiness.

There's a thread about that somewhere around here.

Count me in on this one. I am an executive at a $1 billion company. Lots of people reporting to me. Can't wait to get home at night and strip off my clothes to be played with by my Master!!

axelsteijger
01-07-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm not so sure the relationship, if there is one, between career choice and bdsm role is a causal one. I think it's more likely that there is a causal relationsip between personality type and bdsm role, and between personality type and career choice. The relationship between bdsm role and career choice would then be incidental.

Example. I am a social worker. Social work initially appealed to me because I get a sense of fulfillment from providing comfort and being of assistance to others. Perhaps submission is fulfilling to me for the same reason social work is: it gives me the opportunity to provide comfort and be of assistance to a dominant. But the other things that I do at work all day -- supervising a staff, generating reports, writing budgets -- in no way have any direct effect on my bdsm role, except to make me a little cranky at times. I think that this point of view (that there could be a relationsip between bdsm role and career) applies only for those individuals who chose careers based on what they might find fulfilling, or based on what where their talents lie. It woldn't necesssarily hold up for those practical individuals who see their work solely as a way to generate an income.

I do not think I agree with you. I think social work is a dominant occupation. Social workers, like doctors and notaris (?) and the professions have power that practical occupations do not. Practical work is submissive because they do not have power.

I earn money by selling my skill. I can be easily dismissed or find it hard to get work. Nobody would care. It does not affect my sexual role.

TeasedWhispers
01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Well since I got out of college I've been doing secertarial jobs,lol...yeah boring;)

Azazel
01-07-2005, 05:28 PM
While I put myself through university I was a system administrator for a large Telco. Then on finishing it was off into government to be a policy officer, developing economic policy on infrastructure, mostly water related.

bitch_slave
01-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Pharmacist here, wasn't very caring today though...wanted to bitch-slap one of my patients.

petpleasureyes
01-07-2005, 08:57 PM
i'm an out-of-work network administrator. i'm considering taking up writing again and see if i can turn out a book or two. i'm also saving up to buy a violin (i already feel sorry for my neighbors) and learn how to play it.
slave gary

rebelts
01-11-2005, 03:17 AM
I am a computer analyst as well.

Garnet99
01-11-2005, 07:50 AM
I teach 8th graders. I agree with Lia. After trying to be in control during the day, I love the change, giving it all up for my Master at night. My co-workers would never imagine!!!! I'm considered a bit of 'control-freak'! :D

Dr Mabeuse
01-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Chemist and part-time college teacher.

I've always had a dream of being a mad scientist, doing hellacious experiments on bound women in mad laboratories with lightening flashing outside. It's probably not possible, but I think I came pretty damned close.

Last summer I taught a chemistry course to a class of 14 girls and one guy, and the lectures were held in this tiny auditorium where the students sat on risers. Sure enough, on several days some of the girls sitting third row up wore skirts, and I could see all the way up. Unfortunately, I'm not much in to upskirts and that kind of thing, but still I had to laugh. It was such a cliche.

I'm still waiting for the girl to come to me with that "Oh professor! I'll do anything to pass this course! Just anything!" business. From the dirty stories you read, you'd think it happened all the time.

---dr.M.

midnightsky
01-11-2005, 10:28 PM
student here. eventually hope to become a social worker.

ProjectEuropa
01-12-2005, 04:22 PM

I started life as a coal mining mechanic (I enjoyed it), to aluminium foundry maintenance (it was OK), to artist (loved it), to teaching (didn't want to teach) to probation (I didn't care), to teaching (I really really didn't want to teach) back to professional artist where I'm happy and don't have a care in the world. Hmm OK I need to pay the rent and put a shirt on my back but it has its rewards.

I'm unconvinced the caring professions are really caring. Professional caring jobs have good pay and pension conditions and far more security than most jobs. They are steady jobs with security (I've been there) for the most part. Maybe that is where the submission comes in, one is submitting to established conventions. You can't rebel without being shown the door. You can't say what you really want to say. Maybe its a subs world but is it a dom's world? I ask because I don't know.