PDA

View Full Version : Christian fundamentalistic movement in USA?

thir
07-21-2010, 04:45 AM
http://www.care2.com/causes/politics/blog/sharron-angle-would-legislate-biblical-law/

I read this and did not know what to believe. Is she serious?

BTW, has anyone read 'tale of a handmaiden'?

denuseri
07-22-2010, 08:01 AM
I love that book thir!

I don't think that the evangelical movement or any of its sub-sects is in any greater of a position of advantage today in taking over in the USA than it was when it had a President directly involved and sympathetic to it's cause. Bush Jr was an ardent evangelical supporter and we are not under martial religious law today.

Currently evangelicals make up a larger portion of the Republican Party than I am currently comfortable with and I do wish they wouldn't push any one religion over another or seek state sponsorship.

I believe in religious freedom and that theocracy is an especially bad idea in the USA, and considering it seems to be the historical trend with other Republics that transition to Empires and eventually fall I would prefer our country avoid that paticular fate.

MMI
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Terrifying

Trouble with these right wing Christian movements is that they are so unforgiving, intolerant and judgmental. Who is this Jesus they talk about? He's nothing like Jesus of Nazareth!

DuncanONeil
07-24-2010, 06:53 AM
http://www.care2.com/causes/politics/blog/sharron-angle-would-legislate-biblical-law/

I read this and did not know what to believe. Is she serious?

BTW, has anyone read 'tale of a handmaiden'?

Of which "she" are you speaking?
Only saw the movie.

DuncanONeil
07-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Terrifying

Trouble with these right wing Christian movements is that they are so unforgiving, intolerant and judgmental. Who is this Jesus they talk about? He's nothing like Jesus of Nazareth!

As I said at the blog site the article came from, I think the author was confusing religion with a moral position.

Thorne
07-24-2010, 12:33 PM
As I said at the blog site the article came from, I think the author was confusing religion with a moral position.
Yet don't most religious people proclaim their religion (or their god) to be the arbiter of morality? According to them, one cannot be moral without religion.

MMI
07-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Maybe one cannot be immoral without religion either

DuncanONeil
07-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Yet don't most religious people proclaim their religion (or their god) to be the arbiter of morality? According to them, one cannot be moral without religion.

I can't really speak for "most" religious people. TMy instructors did not so claim. Nor have I had that experience from members of other religions with which I have spoken. That even includes the Seventh Day Adventists and the Witnesses.

Morality is, perhaps, even more fundamental than religion.

DuncanONeil
07-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Maybe one cannot be immoral without religion either

Please refer to message eight, assuming you have not already.

Thorne
07-25-2010, 06:58 AM
I can't really speak for "most" religious people. TMy instructors did not so claim. Nor have I had that experience from members of other religions with which I have spoken. That even includes the Seventh Day Adventists and the Witnesses.
First, ask those people if it is "moral" to deny persons basic rights because of their faith. I think most would say no.
Second, ask those people if it is "moral" to deny persons basic rights because of their skin color. Again, I think most would say no.
Third, ask those people if it is "moral" to deny persons basic rights because of their sexual orientation. You might be surprised how many say yes. And where do they obtain this high, "moral" insight? From their church.

Morality is, perhaps, even more fundamental than religion.
Check out some of the comments made by religious people on atheist blogs. They seem convinced that one cannot be "moral" without religion. Yet it is the religious who deface atheist billboards. It's the religious who allow their children to die horrible deaths for the sake of their faith. It is the religious who deny wrongdoing by priests, despite evidence to the contrary. It is the religious who will stone women to death for being human.

Yes, morality is indeed more fundamental than religion. But it is religion which perverts morality towards its own ends.

denuseri
07-25-2010, 08:08 AM
No its not the religion in and of itself...its the people who pervert moralities and twist things to suit their own means.

DuncanONeil
07-25-2010, 10:17 AM
No its not the religion in and of itself...its the people who pervert moralities and twist things to suit their own means.

Agreed!

DuncanONeil
07-25-2010, 10:20 AM
I will have to defer to Denuri on this. It is not the religion it is the people.

After all consider that "church" group that demonstrates at funerals, it is not the religion demonstrating but members of it. Likely goaded on by an obviously misguided authority figure.

First, ask those people if it is "moral" to deny persons basic rights because of their faith. I think most would say no.
Second, ask those people if it is "moral" to deny persons basic rights because of their skin color. Again, I think most would say no.
Third, ask those people if it is "moral" to deny persons basic rights because of their sexual orientation. You might be surprised how many say yes. And where do they obtain this high, "moral" insight? From their church.

Check out some of the comments made by religious people on atheist blogs. They seem convinced that one cannot be "moral" without religion. Yet it is the religious who deface atheist billboards. It's the religious who allow their children to die horrible deaths for the sake of their faith. It is the religious who deny wrongdoing by priests, despite evidence to the contrary. It is the religious who will stone women to death for being human.

Yes, morality is indeed more fundamental than religion. But it is religion which perverts morality towards its own ends.