PDA

View Full Version : Corsets for big girls

naughtyminx
10-11-2010, 06:49 PM
i have been looking into buying a corset and i'm getting confused. i'm a big girl. Wear size 22-24 pants, 44DDD breasts, not sure of my hip size. Anyway, i read that if your waist is over 36" you need to subtract 6" to get your corset size as that is how they are sized.

So i'm looking at these sites and i see corsets listed as 1x, 2x, etc. The waist size is listed but i'm not sure if that is after the -6" or not.

Anybody have a good site(s) for plus sized corsets and any advice on buying a first one?

pervertedpages
10-12-2010, 12:32 AM
I feel like sites that have 1x, 2x, etc. sizings are less "serious" corsetry items, and if you're looking for a legit, well-boned, actual corset that someone can lace you up in and give you a scary/hot wasp waist that takes your breath away - you'll have to go to a place that makes them custom or at least has the sizes in inches. Those places typically have a very active webmaster/owner whom you can contact and make sure of what you should do, since they're usually awesome small businesses. I've seen a bunch of ads of affordable handmade corsets on Fetlife but the names escape me, if I can remember I'll post.

I remember biggalslingerie.com having 1x etc and there the 6 is not deducted, since it's not super hardcore corsets, just some sexy take-some-inches-off-ers. The only advice I have is, watch for the length because if you have a large stomach you might not want anything hanging out at the bottom, but also you won't be able to sit if it's too long, from it digging into your hip bones/thighs. That and, if you're not sure, find a site that has a person who will talk to you at least a little about each one (for example, if the maker is willing, send your measurements, maybe a body pic, and the styles you're considering and see if they have opinions about why which one will/won't work for your body). If that's too much work, at least make sure you send your measurements and make SURE it's the right size!

Hope that helps, I know it's a bit general and simplistic :)

wyldrose
10-15-2010, 12:47 AM
My advice is going to be even more simple and generic.

i'd say, you should really get fitted and have a corset custom made for you. Yes, it looks scary and can be quite expensive and troublesome and it takes ages, but the benefit is having a corset that actually fits you and is well made enough to last more than one wear. Unless you lose weight dramatically, well made and well fitting corsets last for years!

There's lots of troubles with off the rack corsets- busks can be cheap and break straightaway, people skimp on boning or don't use the right material so the bones end up pushing straight through the corset, they're too long so you can't sit, bla bla bla. There's lots of issues. That, and every body is different- you might need more waist reduction and little to no breast/back/hips reduction, or you might want more pressure on all of those areas.

Also, it depends on what type of corset you want, how often you'll be wearing it, and what for. There's lots of variables. Your best bet is a custom fit.

Rel
10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
hipsandcurves.com seems to be a pretty good site for plus size items such as corsets etc. They have a customer service phone line that will help you with any questions about an item or measurements, etc. They also take special orders. I haven't had the chance to order from them yet but they've been on the top of my wish list for when I get some extra money for a while now.

Hips and Curves (http://www.hipsandcurves.com)

Kalika87
10-25-2010, 04:07 AM
Speaking as a 'larger lady', I find the best way to choose a corset is to have one made specifically for you. It's a little more expensive, but the quality and fit will be a massive improvement from an off the rack one. That being said, all of mines are steel-boned corsets. The shop I use in Glasgow, Scotland is fabulous. They measure you, sit with you and talk to you about what you want from the corset and how you would wear it, etc. I'm sure with a little digging around you could find one near you that will be just as attentive. Custom is definitely the way to go. Just remember, if it is painful, or uncomfortable, it doesn't fit you. ;-)

armybondy
11-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Oh, loving this post! I'll be checking out that website. I have wanted to get a corset or two and when I mentioned it to hubby, he was excited, but I couldnt' find any that looked like they'd fit my body size, either (little on the thicker side these days).

Kalika87
11-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Personally, I think corsets look their best on bigger girls... they have more to mould and shape. The forms that bigger figures can take under corsetting are glorious. I think every girl should have at least one. lol

shishagal
11-08-2010, 05:53 AM
being a bigger girl i got all mine from http://www.corsets-uk.com/ and not expensive after emailing them for advice with my measurements i was adviced on the size to order im a size 18/20 uk size and got the 3x remember when first wearing corsets to not fasten too tight but retighten every 20 mins or so.

sweetiepie
12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
im glad i found this post :) I want a corset but im a bigger person as well :D

swallowz
12-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Is a corset something one might wear into the vanilla world? Just wondering. I was looking at some and thinking maybe with a jacket or something.

naughtyminx
12-20-2010, 07:02 AM
You can wear it in the vanilla world. Hell, lots of wedding dresses are of a corset design. Just depends where you are going and how you put it all together. :)