PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Greed Now??

StrictMasterD
11-25-2010, 04:54 PM
As we all Celebrate in the United States Thanksgiving, it was ver hard NOT to know that some stores, Sears, KMart etc found it necessary to be open part of today
Just wondering if anyone here thinks thast this is wrong and that those Employess should have beeb entitled to the WHOLE day off to spend the whole day with theirfamiles, and were open to day simpyl becuase the companies they work are that GREEDY for Holiday Money, that Money to them is N OW more important the observing a NATIONAL HOLIDAY, rmember tihsis the first time in almost 100 years Sears was open for the 1sttime on Thanksgiving??
Feel free to post your comments

Snark
11-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Define greed. Desire to be able to pay your bills? Desire to be able to earn enough money to buy presents for others? Were your lights on yesterday? Was it because the greedy electric utility wanted the money? Or because their customers wanted to be able to cook dinner or chill the left overs? How many employees were greedy for wanting to be able to work.

Having been unemployed for two years now, if I had a job I would have been there. I've worked nights, weekends, holidays and years without vacation. Now I'd just like to have a job.

DowntownAmber
11-26-2010, 05:03 PM
It doesn't really bother me one way or another. Folks are out on Thanksgiving to pick up supplies they forgot, to eat out, or to see a movie. The shops that are open are providing those goods and services. Greedy? No more than any other day of the week. Businesses exist to turn a profit.

I'm sure a number of the employees would prefer to be at home but, frankly, worse things I'm sure have happened to better people. Many of the holiday workers volunteer for the shifts, most are paid holiday wages, and more often than not the hours are considerably shorter on Thanksgiving. And as Snark mentioned, sometimes just having a job is worth the occasional sacrifice of stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Lion
11-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanksgiving is a holiday like any other. Not everyone celebrates it. So I don't think it's greedy for Sears and Kmart to stay open. Retail stores are new to open, but retail isn't the first industry where employees had to work TG. Police, hospitals, tech support centres, gas station, etc.

Besides, if no one shopped those days, Sears wouldn't have a reason to stay open.

StrictMasterD
11-29-2010, 06:32 AM
By Greed what I mean is These Companies wanting to make money supersced allowing thier family to spend Thanksgiving wit their Families, the Companies are more concenred about their profits then a Family spending the day together
NO GREED BY THE EMPLYESS BUT BY THE COMPANIES

Thorne
11-29-2010, 07:10 AM
the Companies are more concenred about their profits then a Family spending the day together
NO GREED BY THE EMPLYESS BUT BY THE COMPANIES
Again, I have to disagree. In most large corporations, at least, those who are willing to work voluntarily are given the opportunity first, and those who are required to work generally have the lowest seniority. All are compensated for working the holiday, receiving premium rates for the day.

As noted by Lion, there are many who work on holidays: Police, Hospital employees, etc. Should these places be closed to allow their employees to spend the day with their families? How about athletes. Isn't it awful that football players must spend their holidays bashing one another around on the field for our entertainment, rather than being home with their families? What of TV networks? What need for them to provide us with entertainment? Should we force them to shut down and send their people home for the holidays?

The stores are opened because people want to shop. If they do a good amount of business, they will remain open next Thanksgiving, too. If they don't do enough business, they will likely not remain open next year. That's how the world works, after all.

brwneydgirl
12-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I worked retail (for one of the stores mentioned, actually) for MANY years and I am here to say...they don't ask for volunteers when they're doing up a holiday schedule. At least my store didn't. If you're scheduled, you show up and work your full shift (no, the hours weren't shorter, either). And if you WANT that "holiday wage", you better show up the next day you're scheduled, too. Otherwise, you can kiss that "bonus" goodbye.

I was young, single and didn't really mind. However, I have children now and I wouldn't want to have to miss their Easter egg hunts or watching the parade with them because I had to go to work (for minimum wage--no doctor's salary for retail folks...) on a holiday.

Have worse things happened to better people (than having to work a holiday)? Sure ...although I think I'm pretty "good people" lol. But saying that is taking the original question out of perspective. Are the companies greedy? No. They're trying to take advantage of every available moment of shopping time...can't fault them.

I now work for a group of doctors who close the office for holidays....Bring on the Easter egg hunts! :)

StrictMasterD
12-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Again, I have to disagree. In most large corporations, at least, those who are willing to work voluntarily are given the opportunity first, and those who are required to work generally have the lowest seniority. All are compensated for working the holiday, receiving premium rates for the day.

As noted by Lion, there are many who work on holidays: Police, Hospital employees, etc. Should these places be closed to allow their employees to spend the day with their families? How about athletes. Isn't it awful that football players must spend their holidays bashing one another around on the field for our entertainment, rather than being home with their families? What of TV networks? What need for them to provide us with entertainment? Should we force them to shut down and send their people home for the holidays?

The stores are opened because people want to shop. If they do a good amount of business, they will remain open next Thanksgiving, too. If they don't do enough business, they will likely not remain open next year. That's how the world works, after all.

I ised to work REtail, the reality was ands stil is if you are scheduled you MUST work or loose your job, and as also pointedout, if you do not work your next Scheduled day AFTERthe Holiday you do oe did loose your Holiday pay, if a store is open on Thanksgiving, and you are scheduled to wor it, you do not have the option to opt our on that day, family or no family.
I should also be mentioned that the Coprtate Exec. on thse Companies DO take they day off to bewith family and mostsotres use 2nd in command to run the stores, their store Mamagers seemingly ALWAYS have the Holiday off but I have neevr seen or heard of ANY Corportate Exe being in his office or one of HIS/HER stores and workingo n Thamksgiving, nor the Maanger of those stores, it is always handled by the "2nd" in Command for the day, when asked why, they just ay "Oh, they have theday off so I am fillingi n for him/hertil tomorrow" I just find this too convienient, I worked retail for 40 years and this happenend where I worked EVERYTHING year