PDA

View Full Version : Sears

DuncanONeil
11-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Why is, these days, that any time a business makes a decision to do something it must be because of greed! Just how much is Sears going to earn adding an amount of time to the hours they are open that comes to less than 2/10 of 1% of regular hours? Maybe you would have an argument if the store was open a full schedule. Also there is no mention of the store policy on leave for the day!!

There are a number of possibilities. Customer request. An attempt to recover from losses resulting from customer reaction to their feelings about the economy.

Thorne
11-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Why is, these days, that any time a business makes a decision to do something it must be because of greed! Just how much is Sears going to earn adding an amount of time to the hours they are open that comes to less than 2/10 of 1% of regular hours? Maybe you would have an argument if the store was open a full schedule. Also there is no mention of the store policy on leave for the day!!

There are a number of possibilities. Customer request. An attempt to recover from losses resulting from customer reaction to their feelings about the economy.

I agree. Most places I've worked payed their employees a premium for working on holidays, and most of the employees were eager to earn that premium. Also, most employees worked voluntarily, unless there weren't enough volunteers, in which case it was generally the those with lowest seniority who got "drafted". Besides, companies are in business to make money. How is it greed for them to try to fulfill that mission?

Being open doesn't mean more sales, anyway. People will have a fixed amount to spend, whether they spend it now or next week. It might, however, mean giving their customers a choice. I notice nobody complained about WalMart being open.

CuntyVonTwatington
11-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I worked in restaurants and bars for years, and they are always open. None of the families that came in to enjoy their holiday together without the hassle of making dinner and cleaning up after it seemed upset that there was staff taking care of them either. If businesses don't make money they close. Isn't that bad for the economy??

blinkity blink blink

denuseri
11-28-2010, 07:56 AM
I for one was glad Wallmart was open on the holiday.

And its not just "these days" that businessess do things with "greed" as their underlining motivation....its every day lol!

Thorne
11-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I for one was glad Wallmart was open on the holiday.

And its not just "these days" that businessess do things with "greed" as their underlining motivation....its every day lol!

You know, I always wonder why, when a business tries to get the best price for its product, they are accused of being greedy, but when a customer searches for bargains, uses coupons, buys sale items, etc., it's considered smart shopping. I guess you have to be a corporation to be greedy.

DowntownAmber
11-28-2010, 06:31 PM
A company making money doesn't offend me in the least. That is, after all, what they're there for. If the customers are showing up (and clearly they are), go ahead and open.

Most employees are fully aware that irregular days and hours are a part of accepting a position in retail. Now, if Sears were informing employees the day before their shift that "oh by the way we are going to need you to come in tomorrow and if you don't you're fired," well, then I would have a problem. As it is, most of the folks helping you out on the holiday were aware well in advance, were compensated for their trouble, and were obviously not offended enough that they were willing to quit over the situation.