PDA

View Full Version : Internet and obscenity/privacy laws

silla_the_sub
12-23-2010, 09:30 PM
What are people’s experiences and knowledge of the net and obscenity and privacy laws?

What I really want to know is- if I am engaging in chats with men online and I send pictures (me, an adult, no kids no animals) and/or chat sexually with someone I refer to as Daddy…is this an issue?

I’m kind of really obsessed with privacy online, it’s indirectly related to my job, so I’m aware for example, IM chats aren’t really private, but when it comes to intervention by authorities, I don’t know what the obscenity/indecency laws are about and what is common practice (as practice often differs from law?)
I’m in North America.

I try to take precautions, I’ve tried encryption chats, but if the second party doesn’t also, it’s a problem. Does anyone know what type of behaviour would flag suspicion, and would calling a guy Daddy or sending erotic pics suffice?

Snark
12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
If you don't misrepresent yourself, chats shouldn't be an issue in most locales, HOWEVER if you send photos to a 14 year old boy posing as a45 yr old to play your "Daddy", that could lead to a world of trouble. Especially if that 14 yr old boy is sitting next to a cop. Entrapment? Sure. But do you want to deal with it? Especially if it's at the federal level? The feds can always afford more attorneys than an individual unless your real name is Melissa Gates. Usually the cops pose as 14 yr old girls to snare 45 yr old males; I wouldn't put money on them either way.

_ID_
12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
You really only have to worry about that if you are in the UK, or Australia. Their laws differ from what the standard is for most other countries.

If you are in the UK, just be aware of what the obscenity laws entail, and then stay within those, until you are certain that whom you exchange information with isn't law enforcement trying to ensnare you. Something that they like to do, it seems.