PDA

View Full Version : Obama should be anti-abortion

thir
01-21-2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.care2.com/causes/politics/blog/santorum-obama-should-be-anti-abortion-since-hes-black/

I could not make head or tail of this. Can anyone explain? Is there any logic?

Thorne
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Hard to figure anyone who is so dead set against women having control of their own bodies could have any logic in his arguments.

It sounds to me like he's saying that blacks should be the last to claim that anyone else is not a "person". Of course, he expects them to agree with HIS definition of "person". The fact that they could be all in favor of human rights yet not agree with when those rights begin is alien to him. Typical conservative, fundie crap.

denuseri
01-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Well I for one believe that one's race in and of itself should have absolutely nothing to do with one's views on abortion.

Though one's culture does seem to be influential anthropologically speaking when making such an ethical decision (to have or not have an abortion etc).

That being said...

(Let’s keep in mind that the interview was not shown in its entirety and is perhaps being taken somewhat out of context and was presented there on that web site as political fodder to try and brand him as racist etc)

Santorum I believe is trying to say that it is hypocritical for a person of African American descent to take any kind of stance that a person is not a person under the law. Which some may take to also mean he is implying that anyone who is pro-choice is then also taking the same stance (the stance that it is ok to have an abortion because the child being aborted is not a person yet).

I believe he is trying to draw such an analogy because for many years in the United States there was a lot of debate by the government as to weather or not slaves (and later emancipated slaves) all of which at the time were of African decent, deserved the same rights as people or should be classified as people under the law. We even had a war about it.

His coloration imho however is a spurious one at best.

Lion
01-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Regardless of my opinion on abortions, this is my physical reaction to this politician and his remarks

http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/picard-facepalm.jpg

leo9
01-23-2011, 02:21 AM
As I follow it, the premise that makes the logic work is that zygotes are people who are treated as not human. Therefore, other groups who have been treated as less than fully human should sympathise and protect them, quod erat demonstrandum.

But it's a wonderfully handy premise, because you can apply it to any group that's ever been victimised. Jews? Check. Native Americans? Check. Women? Check. In fact, since right-wingers reckon that white male christians are the most persecuted of victims, there's hardly anyone you can't sign up that way.

denuseri
01-23-2011, 05:56 AM
omg lmao...nice Lion really nice I luaghed so hard I almost came!

A certian Vulcan raising an eyebrow would be another good one for a reponse to "Le logic de Santorum" or lack there of.

And I like Leo's explanation of the sophism in use now better than my own too.

thir
01-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Thank you all, I understand now and do not wonder that I didn't at the start!

Lion
01-23-2011, 08:51 PM
omg lmao...nice Lion really nice I luaghed so hard I almost came!

hmm...I must investigate phenomenon