PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Ian Tomlinson

IAN 2411
03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Dramatic new video footage of the death of Ian Tomlinson at the G20 protests has been screened at his inquest

Mr Tomlinson's relatives watched as a compilation of CCTV, police helicopter footage and amateur video recordings showed the newspaper seller cutting a lonely figure as he was confronted by a row of heavily protected police officers.

His widow Julia wiped tears from her eyes as footage from two handheld cameras showed him being shoved to the ground by an officer on the fringes of the 2009 protests in London.

One family member walked out on the proceedings as he was seen staggering about 100 yards and collapsing in Cornhill, near St Michael's Alley in the City of London.

Video showing his last moments became global news after it challenged the original official version of events.

Pc Simon Harwood, a member of the Met's territorial support group, originally escaped prosecution but faces being sacked under misconduct proceedings.

Prosecutors may review the decision not to charge officers over the death, the jurors heard.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20110329/tuk-g20-death-ian-tomlinson-footage-rele-dba1618.html

The more I hear about the stupidity of the British police the more I am disillusioned in their capability to do a proper job. Then we have to ask why the Prosecution service has waited so long to contemplate taking several policemen to court to pay for their stupid actions. Didn’t any one of those officers involved think about asking why he wanted as one man to get out of the cordon, surely they must realise that you cannot cordon a area without letting the local people to be free to carry out their daily routine.

While in the army I spent years policing the riots in Belfast and I can never remember a time when an innocent person was pushed to the ground because the soldier was irritated. There were accidents and proven accidents, but any misuse of resources was swiftly dealt with by the authorities. We were also on camera in riots in some cases the press were there before the military and disturbances and carrying 7.62 Belgian FNs, no soldier misused the power they carried.

The British police are losing credibility every day you pick up the paper, the incidents like this one are getting more frequent, and there is no excuse and it is about time the Prosecution Service realised that the law in the UK is for everyone. It is no excuse to say well the police were doing a hard job and tempers were frayed, thats what they are trained to do.

Be Well IAN2411

thir
04-18-2011, 08:41 AM
I did not see this before - what happened? Any charges or explanations why not?

denuseri
04-18-2011, 11:25 AM
We often have the same kinds of issues over on this side of the pond with our own law enforcment.

leo9
04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
To the best of my and any other commentator's knowledge, no member of the police force has ever been prosecuted for causing death, other than by reckless driving.

With all possible respect for the integrity of the police in general, it beggars belief that there has never, ever, in any case, been enough evidence even to bring a prosecution.

There is a term "moral hazard" which was much used with regard to the bank bailouts: meaning that if people know that they will never have to face the consequences of their actions, then no matter how good they are in general, some will be corrupted by that immunity.

IAN 2411
05-24-2011, 04:24 AM
PC Manslaughter Charge Over G20 Protest Death

By omlinson | Sky News – 37 minutes ago

Police officer Simon Harwood is to be charged with the manslaughter of Ian Tomlinson at the G20 protests in 2009.

The Director of Public Prosecutions made the decision after reviewing an inquest jury's verdict of unlawful killing.

Pc Simon Harwood will appear in court on June 20.

Ian Tomlinson, a homeless 47-year-old newspaper seller, collapsed and died on a pavement during the G20 demonstrations on April 1 2009.

Footage of a police confrontation with Tomlinson and his subsequent collapse was captured on camera and handed to the Guardian newspaper.

At last, now let’s see what kind of justice he gets from the Law to the Law.

It has been a long time coming.

Be Well IAN 2411

thir
05-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Thank you for these news. Yes, we shall see.