PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Prejudice of Gays and lesbians

IAN 2411
04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I just wonder at times the mentality of people and when I saw this news flash on my computer as I never thought sexual prejudice still existed in the UK. In fact for it to exist in Brighton is beyond belief, Brighton is fifteen miles along the coast from me and has a Gay Parade and a Gay week. Gays and lesbians come from all over Europe for the calibrations, and I mean thousands of Gays and Lesbians, and the week is an official event on the calendar of the local council.

Lesbians start legal fight after being denied hotel room

Two lesbians who were denied a double room at a hotel are launching a legal challenge with the help of civil liberty advocates.

Rebecca Nash and Hope Stubbings were allegedly denied the hotel room at the Brunswick Square Hotel in Brighton because it only accepted 'couples and families'.
"Laws prohibiting hotels and guesthouses from discriminating against gay men and lesbians have been in place for four years now, but clearly the message still isn't getting through," said James Welch, legal director of Liberty, which is bringing legal proceedings against the hotel on the couple's behalf.

"With the Equality Act 2010 now in force, my clients intend to show that they have as much right to enjoy a quiet weekend away together as any other couple."

The manager of the hotel insisted to <i>politics.co.uk</i> that the two women had not made a booking and that they had not been rejected because of their sexuality.

But according to Liberty, the manager had told the women "no two boys, no two girls" before losing his temper and ushering them out the hotel.

The Equality Act, which forbids discrimination in the provision of goods and services, applies to hotels, but claimants would need to demonstrate that they had been treated differently to a heterosexual couple. The case follows a row over the John Snow pub, which recently saw hundreds of gay men conduct a 'kiss-in' after a young gay couple on their first date were allegedly thrown out for kissing.

------------------------------

If this guy loses he might just lose the hotel he was protecting! Why are there still these dinosaurs about? I thought everyone in the UK had moved on but it seems I stand corrected. At sixty three I have lived through all these prejudices, Blacks, Pakistani’s, Indian [Asia] and Gay. They are history and that is the way it should stay, girls have sleepovers and sleep with their friends does this mean they are Lesbians? Give me strength because the mind boggles.

Be well IAN 2411

Lion
04-21-2011, 09:22 PM
*sigh*

But what sort of prejudices do Pakistanis and Indians face in Britain?

IAN 2411
04-21-2011, 10:38 PM
*sigh*

But what sort of prejudices do Pakistanis and Indians face in Britain?

Now there is none, but i remember when they first started to settle over here there was resentment. The usual things lke they are only coming here to steal our jobs and council houses, it was way back in the late 60s, a lot of people were too thick to realise that they were remnants of the fallen British Empire.

Be well IAN 2411

thir
04-23-2011, 04:33 AM
Apparently we are not there yet.

I have never quite understood this deep rooted fear (or whatever) of homosexuallity. Why is it so persistent, and so widespread?

Many men are still very nervous of being called 'fags', while it seems there are no problems for women.

leo9
04-26-2011, 04:07 AM
Now there is none, but i remember when they first started to settle over here there was resentment. The usual things lke they are only coming here to steal our jobs and council houses, it was way back in the late 60s, a lot of people were too thick to realise that they were remnants of the fallen British Empire.

If you think that's over, you're not paying attention. The Prime Minister just hoisted the stop-immigration-to-save-jobs flag again, presumably because there are elections coming up and bashing immigrants always plays well with the base.

leo9
04-26-2011, 04:33 AM
Apparently we are not there yet.
Social changes never happen everywhere all at once. There are bound to be holdouts for at least a generation, often several.

I have never quite understood this deep rooted fear (or whatever) of homosexuallity. Why is it so persistent, and so widespread?
I think it's to do with the gut fear of something that looks like us but isn't. Also known as "Uncanny Valley"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UncannyValley

The cure for it is to expand the definition of "us." That's why most studies have found that the surest way to convert the prejudiced is to let them get to know a few gays just as people, schoolmates or neighbours or co-workers. Hence the importance of coming out and staying out.

Many men are still very nervous of being called 'fags', while it seems there are no problems for women.
It is interesting. I wonder if the problem is that in popular culture, we've emphasised "gay" as a separate identity to the point where it excludes normal male sexuality. Perhaps if there were more awareness of bisexuality as a common and widespread orientation, so that one same-sex sexual feeling doesn't mean you're never going to be any good to women, it would be a less sensitive subject.

My impression from outside, through such admittedly unreliable sources as comics, is that for pubescent girls any suspicion of lesbian tendencies is social death. But I agree that in older women it's a non-issue.

Perhaps the difference happens because, if I can put it this way, bisexuality is to some extent built into female sexuality. Women understand that lesbians can still have and use all the powers of female attraction, up to and including having sex with men for practical gain if they choose. Whereas a lot of men absolutely cannot believe that gay men can be attractive to women, and are regularly stunned when some hunky film star or rock singer is outed. "Buuuut... My wife thinks he's so hot??? How can he be gay?"