PDA

View Full Version : Travel Plans

Lia
12-23-2004, 05:14 PM
My master and I are taking a trip right after the New Year to San Diego. I have two questions:

1. Has anyone had trouble with airport security with the BDSM gear? We plan on checking our bag. We want to bring some cuffs, gags, crop, flogger, vibes and plugs.

2. We have checked the Internet for any potential play spots in the San Diego area and didn't find much. Does anyone have any suggestions? We will be there right after the New Year.

Nightstriker
12-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Not having any experience in this though I do have a couple of suggestions for you.

There is supposidly a list of things that you are not allowed to bring on the plane in your carry on luggage if any of the things that you want to bring, fall into any of these catagories keep them out of your carry on luggage, and put them in your other luggage. And so long as what you are bringing is not illegeal in the state you are leaving or the state you are going to, then there may not be much of a problem

But like I said I have had no experience in this, so....

BDSM_Tourguide
12-23-2004, 05:35 PM
There was a thread similar to this awhile back. You can read it here (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118).

SirW
12-25-2004, 06:04 AM
My master and I are taking a trip right after the New Year to San Diego. I have two questions:

1. Has anyone had trouble with airport security with the BDSM gear? We plan on checking our bag. We want to bring some cuffs, gags, crop, flogger, vibes and plugs.

2. We have checked the Internet for any potential play spots in the San Diego area and didn't find much. Does anyone have any suggestions? We will be there right after the New Year.

I read the previous threads and all I could add is that I find that even today, with a Federal Agency running airport security, all of them have different things they do or allow.
I generally put all my toys and bdsm accessories in my bag I check (watch the weight though). This avoids any problems with carry on checking. Though I never have anything in carry-on that would cause problems (knives, wands, etc..) I have found that at one end they have no problem with my toys, and then the other end they make me go back and check it through. So I have just decided it is less hassle to check it all.

As far as collars and piercings and the like, I don't have any of those so have never had that worry. My submissive always removes her collar and any large metal peircings before going through sreeenings. (It apparently doesn't detect the small rings she has in her labia). Also, the one time she couldn't take her collar off (she had misplaced the wrench for the metal screw), they just hand scanned her.

Another suggestion, if you are taking a lot of large heavy things, send it UPS or FedEx a few days before. They don't have the problem with heavy stuff and the cost is usually not that bad.

Now, going out of the country, another set of worries. I have only traveled between the US and Canada with toys. These were also very mild ones (floggers, restraints, etc.). Didn't have any problems in either Detroit or Toronto, but my Domme friend in Toronto has has some hassles. They gave her a problem with a rose flogger I gave her as a gift, whe she was coming down here to visit me. She, switching into her Domme mode, told the man she was not going to leave it behind. So, in a nice polite way of course, convinced the security man that she and it were no threat. I think the guy was probably just a submissive who wanted her to work him over a bit. Well it is a funny story when she tells it. Ha Ha Ha.
I have been to Europe several times after 9/11 and have chosen not to try and take toys with me. Though I am tempted to buy things in Europe to bring home I usually don't buy anything I would worry about. Shipping it home is not an option as that is VERY expensive.
So the best advise I can offer:
When you can drive to the place. You can take anything you wish and no hassles.
When you have to fly, just take the essentials, and then put them in luggage to check through. (Be prepared when you arrive and open your case to see one of those little paper slips inside your bag telling you it was searched).
If you need to take large heavy things, or lots of toys, then ship them a few days ahead of time.

SirW

Kalluss
12-26-2004, 10:40 AM
I have had things go missing on more than one occasion going through airports, even in checked luggage. One item was a very expensive bullwhip.

From then on, I've always UPS'd the items to myself at the hotel I'm staying at or a friend in the local a few days before. They don't open packages like airports, and you can get better insurance on your stuff.

funtime37
12-26-2004, 03:56 PM
i work in the airfreight industry and would agree with kallus do not pack any thing in your checked luggage that you can't afford to replace. ship it UPS Fedex or DHL. or even USPS. if you are a "known shipper most companies will not inspect them by hand or even by xray. a great way that is cheap is to find a friend that works for one of those companies and have them ship it for you at a discount.

Eraser
12-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Lets see, the airport stuff... ship it and insure it. Nuff said there. Airports are a pain with equipment now.. fortunately mine based on alot of equestrian gear so I can slide a bit.

As far as play space in SD. Honestly it sucks big time. Theres 3 dungeons none of which are overly clean or nice and the equipment isn't to well cleans or maintained (IE bring your own bottle of Lysol), but if your renting a car and wanna put the extra miles on it. Run up to Orange county. We have 2 large play spaces up here that are wonderful. One of them is 4000sq ft full stocked with 10 rooms, one of which is dedicated to sonny black furniture: http://www.dungeonfurniture.com/ which is some of the finest large equipment around. Theres another dungeon in OC but its half the size for the same price about $60-75 an hour.

So if you want more specifics drop me an email or something