PDA

View Full Version : Is Catholic School Training for Submission

sweetlynaughty
06-25-2011, 04:33 PM
I joined the library over a year ago and the more I have learned the more I have “joked” that my 12 years of Catholic School was training for my submission. While it is funny to joke about I can’t help but wonder how much truth is there to this notion?

In Catholic School I was trained/taught to:

Worship my God
Kneel/genuflect when I entered churched before taking my seat and specific points during Mass
I was not allowed to challenge authority
I was controlled and disciplined
I had commandments to follow
If I sinned I had to do penance
I was also raised to fear my God; I had to be a “good girl” at all times
It was very common to wear a necklace that reminded me of my God at all times

Please note, I do not wish to offend anyone with this thread, if you do not like it, please move on, I don't wish to cause any arguments. Also, I do subscribe to my religion so please don't see this thread as an open invitation to bash it.

Forum is now open! What are your thoughts? Does anyone else feel that same way that went to Catholic School?

anie
06-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Haha... it kind of does. xD

Anyways, I've had thoughts on the same line about my religion, which is Christian, though. It's kind of funny how similar religious practices are. xD

karley
06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
in mannerisms it seems as though Catholicism does teach a lot of submissive tendencies. It would seem to me however, that enacting those learned behaviors in another venue would be going directly against some religious teachings. You're not to worship any human other than your God, correct? So wouldn't portraying your submission to a Dominant kind of be breaking that rule and therefore make you a "bad girl" in terms or religion whilst making you a "good girl" in the eyes of your Dom.
... just my first thoughts on the subject, not intended to make judgement or offend.

anie
06-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Very true, they kind of don't mesh well in that aspect... though I'd imagine that if you wanted to avoid/change that part of the lifestyle you could for religious purposes?

karley
06-25-2011, 05:33 PM
i would think so... never really something i've had to think about as i'm not a particularly religious person, despite attending a Catholic university

~ willow ~
06-25-2011, 05:38 PM
i'm not Catholic, nor was i raised in any one religion, but i have been exposed to many different denominations. What does strike me is that the ritual, obsequiousness and devotion definitely appeals to me. There is a peace and calm achieved in a religious setting that appeals to so many. So rather than training submission, maybe it fills a need already there? As karley said, the idyll is to only worship God, however, we can't deny the patriarchial nature of most religions. Obedience in marriage vows...mosques admit men first to pray...women are excluded from Hindu temples when menstruating...maybe i'm getting a bit off topic, but what i can say for sure is that kneeling in a church isn't half as much fun as kneeling at Masters feet!

Snark
06-25-2011, 05:56 PM
The RC church is expressly designed for submission on many levels. To God, certainly. But more so, to the church. Which is why a RC priest by the name of Martin Luther had an objection to it. The response was an invitation to his own execution...which he declined. One can't get more dominant than that.

~ willow ~
06-25-2011, 06:10 PM
The RC church is expressly designed for submission on many levels.

i agree. i'd even go so far as to say most organised religion is following an agenda, at the very least, concurrently with the worship of their God. Although, the idealist in me believes people can find their own personal spirituality within their chosen religion.

sweetlynaughty
06-25-2011, 08:50 PM
in mannerisms it seems as though Catholicism does teach a lot of submissive tendencies. It would seem to me however, that enacting those learned behaviors in another venue would be going directly against some religious teachings. You're not to worship any human other than your God, correct? So wouldn't portraying your submission to a Dominant kind of be breaking that rule and therefore make you a "bad girl" in terms or religion whilst making you a "good girl" in the eyes of your Dom.
... just my first thoughts on the subject, not intended to make judgement or offend.

Thank you, I'm not offended; you're comments are legitimate. Yes, it is against my religion to worship anything other than my, God: "I am the LORD thy God. Thou shalt have no strange gods before Me"

*Shrugs* I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. How can I be a good Catholic and deny my submissive nature? I would be very sad. On the other hand, How can I be a good submissive and sin as a Catholic? I would be in confession every Saturday afternoon. My comprise is I compartmentalize my life.

Liushka
06-26-2011, 12:56 AM
I spent 8 years at a Catholic school (from 0 to 17) not because I was Catholic per se (I was raised between Christianism and Buddhism, but that school was the best in the district). I think that this added to the fact that I'm a geek kind of put me on the "weirdos" shelf right away there. I think that my Dominant personality was drawn to be even more competitive when it comes to studies there (I aced all my classes for those 7 years) and I know that especially in the latest years, I ended wearing clothing (we had uniforms or alike only for my first 3 years) at least shoes that just went against what others wore, especially since I could get away with it. *cough*

Yet, I always kept good relations with the nuns who were there and definitely count that experience as helping me grow spiritually, as I'm now a Christian, though I still have to be baptized. That experience later helped me also think about my spirituality and my BDSM inclinations, along with my sexual orientation, and I'm trying to be at peace about it all, even though at times it can still be a bit complicated.

Overall, I think that my time at Catholic high school fed my dominant streak by making me want to cross some lines (though I was never irrespectful to anyone, because I chose not to be).