PDA

View Full Version : Does This Answer A Question, Or Simply Raise More?

DowntownAmber
06-27-2011, 03:35 PM
http://www.good.is/post/how-violent-sex-helped-ease-my-ptsd/

Thoughts?

brwneydgirl
06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
"He's got 60 pounds on me, plus the luxuries of patience and fearlessness."

First of all, hurrah for Isaac. He did what a lot of men would be afraid to do. Second, I'm sure there's a thread around here that deals with past sexual abuse (molestation?) of submissive females. I doubt they'd be surprised at how this woman dealt with her issues. In fact, that's probably why the majority of them are here. And just as an aside, I'd rather have a go-round with Isaac than sit in a bar with a bottle of tequila as my date. Just sayin'.

IAN 2411
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
PTSD??? Was it really? Well you did ask if it answered or asked more questions.

Reporters have a hard time in any kind of disaster or battle zone and I as ex military will always take my hat off to them. They are mostly unprotected and will go out on a limb to places where the military will not go, just to get a story. I would also imagine that a few must get PTSD and have to deal with it, but was that what this reporter really had?

Is it not possible that it was guilt that caused her to go to the extreme she did? [Stupid suggestion] possibly? This woman is interviewing women that have been raped or had violent sex, and their stories must be horrendous. Would she be feeling a lack of empathy towards the victims, and the only way to change that and get on with her life is to have the same.

It is just that I have seen PTSD in soldiers and most are never lucky enough to leave it behind.

Well it is only a thought.

Be well IAN 2411

IAN 2411
06-29-2011, 02:11 AM
Just an addition to my above post, I am not sure whether most or all was written in the past tense, because it was what was written in the last two paragraphs that confused me.

Most Viet Nam soldiers that suffered from the above never went back there again. I suffered slightly on my return from my second tour of Northern Ireland, and even now some thirty years on I would not go there on holiday and to be truthful it is a beautiful country. What I am trying to say is that by the way she has written the last paragraph, she has not only been cured of PTSD but is returning without side effects. I am afraid that it is that which I find very hard to digest.

Be well IAN 2411

DowntownAmber
07-01-2011, 11:42 AM
In fact, that's probably why the majority of them are here.

I wouldn't be inclined to disagree, and that's what made the article interesting to me. BDSM as "therapy?" Good idea, or perhaps a little dangerous? Also, is it disappointing to think of our BDSM roles (something that is a significant part of who many of us are) as a coping mechanism? As a byproduct of unhealthy times in our lives?

denuseri
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Well I wasnt molested, or made unhealthy in any way shape or form prior to my introduction to the wonderful world of bdsm so I have a tendency to think that its not a coping mechinism, or that such an assumption may be a spurious coorelation to make...like the majority of strippers are strippers becuase they were molested etc ( which I may think for the same rasons considering Im also a preformer in that area lol). So maby Im biased.

Can it be used as way to help one recover from being the victum of a traumatic event or being abused who had no previous bdsm desires? Perhaps...I know its helped me get back into the swing of things after I survived my own encounter with a rapist asshole much more rapidly I believe than if I had been totally nilla...but if anything Ive found it takes a special kind of arrangmnet for that to work, especially on the doms part...the average bdsm D/s dynamic isnt enough, additionally I was allready well into bdsm long before my own tramatic event occured.

DowntownAmber
07-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't come from an abusive background either, but the link between abuse and BDSM tendencies absolutely exists. It would be irresponsible at best to say all of those in the Lifestyle are there because of past wrongs, or that all abuse leads to the Lifestyle; but to dismiss it as a spurious correlation I think is overlooking a significant portion of the motivation behind and thinking within the minds of the participants of BDSM.

Abuse of any kind plays with our notions of safety, trust, and intimacy. All of those things are key components of our sexual personalities. BDSM, with its very overt physical manifestations of situations that mimic unsafe and violent acts, lends itself even more to becoming a link between an unhealthy past and the acts of the present. The article is a perfect example of one facet of that.