PDA

View Full Version : Spell checking function is not available now

Tiger
01-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Due to the change in the policy of the website providing spellchecking service, this function is not available now. Before we can find another similar service that is adult site friendly, you may need to put your dictionary in use for while. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jinn

Firefly
01-09-2005, 10:41 AM
A very useful spell checker for web based text entry can be found here (http://www.iespell.com/).

I have been using it for some time now and find it very useful. :)

LaJan
01-14-2005, 06:57 PM
I hope Firefly's link has all thre good words in it. I can't find "clit" in my Webster's online (the free version) but it DOES have the word "cunt". Go figure...

Thanks for the suggestion Firefly and the advisement Jinn.

Due to the change in the policy of the website providing spellchecking service, this function is not available now. Before we can find another similar service that is adult site friendly, you may need to put your dictionary in use for while. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jinn

Tiger
02-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Firefly, thanks for the recommendation. ieSpell is an extension for Internet Explorer browser (IE). Anyone interested in it may install the program on your computer.

erotic_nibbles
02-03-2005, 01:23 AM
I can't find "clit" in my Webster's online (the free version) but it DOES have the word "cunt". Go figure...

Probably because "clit" is an abbreviated form of "clitoris".....clitoris does show up in my Webster's online dictionary

~~nibbles~~

Microwave0ven
03-02-2005, 12:43 PM
a suggestion, and it's kinda odd...

but is there a possible way to have "grammar-and-spell-check-police" in here? Some places in here, the posters really need :help: in their spelling/grammar. I was thinking if it's possible to make a few people who have too much time on their hands into grammar-and-spell-check-police so they can go around fixing and editing some of the worse-off posts.

GaryWilcox
03-02-2005, 04:04 PM
a suggestion, and it's kinda odd...

but is there a possible way to have "grammar-and-spell-check-police" in here? People get mad when Mods correct things like join threads or split threads when there's topic drift. Someone correcting spelling and grammar would be an even harder sell.

Microwave0ven
03-02-2005, 06:12 PM
well, as some people know, particularly in Lord Mobius' Dungeon where I hang out a lot, some spelling/grammar could definitely use help, which was the area i was thinking of asking if the idea could be implemented in.

What if people in the area in question consented to the policing? It would just make things much much easier to read if some of the posts which are lacking punctuation/correct spelling/grammar were fixed up a bit, IMO

edit:
the downside is that depending if they're just board mods or global mods, they would have access to peoples' posts, which most people don't like. If this idea went through, i would suggest the "police" to be someone who's trusted, and who is capable of spelling/grammar/punctuation-ing properly.

Firefly
03-04-2005, 01:36 PM
I can see no end of problems with this idea!

I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that you are based in the USA but it is worth remembering that English is not necessarily the first language of every member of this board. The use of English spelling and grammar does not come easily to everybody, not everybody may have the same level of education as you, indeed it may take great courage by some members just to post here. It is a certainty that a fair number of members here have dyslexia in some form or other and for them it could well be a major feat just to get the words on screen. To then start correcting any mistakes they may have made would be belittling in the extreme.

Then we come to the transatlantic differences. Centre/center, colour/color, honour/honor, gray/grey, cheque/check, favourite/favorite and I could go on and on... :)

Wasn't it Winston Churchill who said that the Britain and America were two countries separated by the same language?

I would certainly soon feel very unhappy if somebody started correcting any of my posts into the American spelling! :) :)

Microwave0ven
03-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Actually, I live in Canada, so I use a mixture of UK and American spelling, depending on how I feel when I'm typing :p

I was more concerned for peoples' spelling in general, I wouldn't consider the trans-atlantic differences to be spelling "mistakes" but other types of spelling errors. But I can see your point about how it would be somewhat belittling for someone's spelling to be corrected it it took them so much time/effort to get it up on the screen in the first place.

I stand corrected :) scrap that idea, wouldn't want to hurt peoples' feelings :D

Wontworry
03-06-2005, 05:18 PM
While agreeing that having someone correcting spelling mistakes is a touch like being back in school, there are times when reading posts becomes such an effort because the spelling, punctuation and grammar are so bad. While acknowledging that it isn't always easy, most of these errors could be corrected if the writer just took a little time to read what they have written before they post.

My typing is abysmal, but I try to correct all the typing errors before I press 'submit'. It just seems a common courtesy to me.

albear
03-07-2005, 05:51 AM
It is a shame that we don't have a spell checking function anymore, but I never used it (probably evident! :p ). I think it was a matter of principle. I refuse to use a spelling checker called SpelChek. Why couldn't they have put the title of their product through the spelling checker? :D

PS I'm just kidding! But not about the never checking my spelling part!

Barton
03-08-2005, 08:18 AM
We have managed well enough with and without spelchek. We do not need grammer and spelling police to enjoy the forum.

I will admit that I have thought these same things myself, but if that is the biggest problem we have, then it is not a problem.