PDA

View Full Version : The Leather Uniform...Which Is Not

Flaming_Redhead
10-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Master and I have recently begun to delve into the Leather subculture. I find the history of it to be quite interesting. Upon reading "The leatherboy Handbook" by boy Vincent L. Andrews, I decided to try wearing the leather uniform to our next lifestyle outing. Granted, it is geared towards gay males. However, I was determined to follow the guidelines to the best of my ability. The first thing I purchased was a pair of combat boots for each of us from a local army surplus store. Of course, they did not have my size in the full leather ones, and being the impatient type, I did not want to order them online. I settled for jungle boots instead. I figured it was probably fitting that Master should have the better pair anyway. His boots are the second piece of gifted leather he has received from me.

The next thing on my list was bootblacking information and supplies. I watched countless YouTube videos and read innumerable articles and forums on the best way to polish combat boots. Armed with black Kiwi polish, an applicator brush, cotton balls, a rag, water and spit, I began to try to shine our new boots. After 2 days and at least 4-5 coats, mine were passing fair, but Master's only had a sheen instead of a shine. Due to my frustration, we enlisted the help of his friend who served in the army. He shined our boots for a beer. Apparently, I should have kept at it indefinitely because it takes quite a bit of polish to fill in the pores.

Levi's 501 jeans are the preferred brand, but I did not own a single pair, not to mention 501s are not made for women. As far as wearing any of the jeans I had, they were all too long to wear with shoes that do not have a 4-inch heel and have rhinestones, embroidery or rips in them. It can be rather difficult to find petite pants which is why I have not bothered to look for quite some time. I petitioned my friends to tell me where to start my shopping expedition so as to limit my stress level. Luckily, the first store they suggested had a rack of Levi's in the juniors department. I bought all 3 pairs that fit after 5 trips to the fitting room.

While I was out shopping for jeans, I decided to look for some plain white T-shirts and a plain black leather belt. Did you know that stores expect women to pay $12 for one white V-neck T-shirt while men get a pack of 3 for $10? If they had had the men's shirts in size small, I would have bought them. I decided to make do with my not-plain-white T-shirts at home since I'd just spent $100 on jeans. Also, women's belts are hardly plain, but men's belts are too long. I would just have to wear my star-studded black belt.

Saturday night, dressed in my boots, Levi's, star-studded belt, white tank top with beading and a black jacket, I went to the local dungeon with Master for an educational forum and demonstration. I thought I was the only female in jeans. Accustomed to dressing up in fetish wear myself, I ogled other women's stilettos and corsets and felt a twinge of envy. I felt very plain beside them. The dungeon caters mostly to the fetishists and not to the leather community. The funny thing is that the leather uniform is supposed to be plain for a reason. I wasn't there to stand and model, which seems to be the new definition of S&M. I was there to learn. I was there to introduce Master to someone he could learn fire play from. It wasn't about being seen in the scene. However, I was grateful and a bit taken aback when a Lady I know told me I looked fabulous as always, and towards the end of the night, when we got our renewed membership cards, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the woman behind the counter had given us a 12-month membership for the price of 6 months. She was also wearing jeans. :)

lucy
10-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Nice story and thanks for sharing it. It never ceases to amaze me that things like underwear, socks or razors cost at least 50% when they're for women.
As for belts: Last time I was in the States I saw this uber-kewl plain brown belt. It was, of course, for men, i.e. about two meters long. I bought it anyway and my Master merely cut some of it off and made a couple more holes with a hole-cutting ... thingy.

Edit: This is the hole-cutting thingy: Lochzange (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochzange)

Flaming_Redhead
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Thank you, and you're welcome. I've noticed that men's razors are sharper than women's. I will keep looking for a belt, though I may have to check out the boys' section.

As I looked around the dungeon, I noticed that the Leatherman who was teaching the class that night needed his boots shined. I was surprised that he would show up from out of town to teach a class without his best foot forward. In attempting to follow a Leather path, I have already learned so much. I've learned to provide a new service to Master. I've learned that, like Dolly Parton says, it takes a lot of money/effort to look this cheap. I've learned to take pride in my appearance without frills.

I just think it's a little sad that very few of the heterosexual community have an interest in Leather because, as I've discovered, some traditions are definitely worth upholding.

ksst
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
I love leather- the smell, the feel, everything about it. If I had more money I'd have a lot more fine leather clothing. I do have some boots.

And on mens vs womens, I was looking for warm pjs cause it's just too cold in the winter to go around bare legged and the womens ones were all ugly and expensive (I don't like pink bunnies). I got a nice pair of plain red in the mens section for $7. It has a fly but oh well :)

Flaming_Redhead
10-04-2011, 06:14 PM
I'll be looking for a leather vest soon. I imagine it will be quite some time before I have a patch or pin to put on it, though.

The only pink bunny I like is "Happy Bunny."