PDA

View Full Version : Indoctrination of

thir
10-14-2011, 02:59 PM
The Kids' Book of Freedom condemned as 'disgusting' by Council on American-Islamic Relations

The Kids' Book of Freedom
An image from We Shall Never Forget 9/11: The Kids' Book of Freedom

A colouring book about the events of 9/11, complete with pictures of the burning twin towers and the execution of a cowering Osama bin Laden for children to fill in, has provoked outrage among American Muslims.

I think you need to see the picture to understand this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/31/9-11-children-colouring-book-muslims

Thorne
10-15-2011, 05:44 AM
I wasn't even aware that kids still used coloring books. I thought it was all done on computers now.

Tempest in a teapot, in my opinion.

According to the article: "The Council on American-Islamic Relations has condemned the book as "disgusting", saying that it characterises all Muslims as linked to extremism, terrorism and radicalism, which could lead children reading the book to believe that all Muslims are responsible for 9/11, and that followers of the Islamic faith are their enemies."

Yet the book apparently states: ""Children, the truth is, these terrorist acts were done by freedom-hating radical Islamic Muslim extremists. These crazy people hate the American way of life because we are FREE and our society is FREE." [emphasis mine]

They don't seem to be pointing the fingers at ALL Muslims. So when millions of Muslims start rioting over this, and the Imams begin issuing fatwahs against the publishers, we should all only blame the radicals, right?

denuseri
10-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Well you dont blame all religions for it thats like blaming the wind for knocking down your tree fort.

Thorne
10-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Well you dont blame all religions for it thats like blaming the wind for knocking down your tree fort.
Who's blaming religions? I blame the people. Who cling like drowning rats to ancient mythologies instead of opening themselves to reality. As you are so fond of pointing out, it's the people who are bad, not the religion. You know, the religion that was invented by those same bad people?

emeralds
10-15-2011, 12:53 PM
hmmm... maybe they could add to the book and have a picture of a few witches burning at the stake.. and there must be a few pictures they could draw of where people are lined up and shot in huge pits... oh thats right.. thats mostly the men and boys.. the women and girls are raped first.. underwear comes in such pretty colours.. that would make good colouring in..
all very appropriate for children to colour dont you think?

nobody sees their view as extreme.. soft smile.. their own is always rational and justified..... its the other person thats wrong..

leo9
10-15-2011, 02:32 PM
According to the article: "The Council on American-Islamic Relations has condemned the book as "disgusting", saying that it characterises all Muslims as linked to extremism, terrorism and radicalism, which could lead children reading the book to believe that all Muslims are responsible for 9/11, and that followers of the Islamic faith are their enemies."

Yet the book apparently states: ""Children, the truth is, these terrorist acts were done by freedom-hating radical Islamic Muslim extremists. These crazy people hate the American way of life because we are FREE and our society is FREE." [emphasis mine]

They don't seem to be pointing the fingers at ALL Muslims.

So in the same way, if someone tells children to be afraid of evil black drug-addict rapists, that's OK because it leaves open the possibility that other black people are just fine.

And you wouldn't mind a bit if some Xian author was telling children that wicked faith-hating atheists should die for killing babies, because you're not a wicked faith-hating atheist so it obviously isn't aimed at you.

I think naiveity doesn't sound convincing coming from you.

thir
10-15-2011, 02:41 PM
So in the same way, if someone tells children to be afraid of evil black drug-addict rapists, that's OK because it leaves open the possibility that other black people are just fine.

And you wouldn't mind a bit if some Xian author was telling children that wicked faith-hating atheists should die for killing babies, because you're not a wicked faith-hating atheist so it obviously isn't aimed at you.

I think naiveity doesn't sound convincing coming from you.

It is a lot more than that. It is a hate-and-violence picture, and message, for children. It is indoctrinating hatred and fear. It is the vilest thing I have ever see.

thir
10-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I wasn't even aware that kids still used coloring books. I thought it was all done on computers now.

Tempest in a teapot, in my opinion.

They don't seem to be pointing the fingers at ALL Muslims. So when millions of Muslims start rioting over this, and the Imams begin issuing fatwahs against the publishers, we should all only blame the radicals, right?

Do you consider that kind of message 1) understandable for an 8 year old? 2) proper for an 8 year old?

Let's all make hate messages for the people we do not like, and send it to the kids to colour in. Like, if you do not accept a certain religion, you are evil and will go to Hell. Complete with flames and scared, screaming people. No, better still, let's make it screaming children, the message will sink in better.

How about a picture of black people being lynched, with all details of course, and the message that it is of course only the bad black people who will be killed?

What colour books should we suggest to muslim countries, to inspire their children to what they want to be when they grow up?

If you think children do not get these messages, you are wrong. I have worked with them for 20 years and I can tell you noone like children get messages - much better than adults.

leo9
10-15-2011, 03:56 PM
What colour books should we suggest to muslim countries, to inspire their children to what they want to be when they grow up?
By this model, something with plenty of images of death and destruction in Iraq caused by "Muslim-hating radical Christian Americans," ending with some images of how heroic martyr suicide bombers are bringing justice to them.

But objecting to that would be just a tempest in a teapot, because in the first place it's not about Americans in general, and in the second place it's only for children, and they won't get it.

So, nothing to worry about.

Thorne
10-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Hey! I never said the book was okay! I only said that the complaint that was made by the Council on American-Islamic Relations was not really accurate, as it was negated by the book itself. I agree that it's inappropriate, unless you're going to include images of the Catholic Inquisitions, the Protestant Witch Trials, the Aztec and Incan human sacrifices, etc., etc. And let's not forget about the hunts for child-witches going on in Africa. Some images of black slaves being whipped in the US South, too. EVERY religion, every government, every culture has it's share of atrocities throughout history. Let's put ALL of them into a coloring book.

And no, I don't really think that would be a good idea. Sorry if I gave the impression that it was.

thir
10-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey! I never said the book was okay! I only said that the complaint that was made by the Council on American-Islamic Relations was not really accurate, as it was negated by the book itself. I agree that it's inappropriate, unless you're going to include images of the Catholic Inquisitions, the Protestant Witch Trials, the Aztec and Incan human sacrifices, etc., etc. And let's not forget about the hunts for child-witches going on in Africa. Some images of black slaves being whipped in the US South, too. EVERY religion, every government, every culture has it's share of atrocities throughout history. Let's put ALL of them into a coloring book.

And no, I don't really think that would be a good idea. Sorry if I gave the impression that it was.

I think I read you wrong these days - but then I am not at my best right now.

Thorne
10-16-2011, 12:10 PM
I think I read you wrong these days - but then I am not at my best right now.
Don't worry about it. I'm not at my best either. I think I leave a lot out, assuming that others will understand me. Besides, I do tend to be contrary, sometimes.

IAN 2411
10-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I saw this same crap with a leaflet that was flying about in Northern Ireland, when i was over there with the UK forces. The target the other end of the rifle and bullit were children holding the tricolour. It was anti UK forces. I believe the Vietmamiese had something similar with anti US forces. It is dangerous propaganda in any ones book, and i believe it does stick in the childrens minds. It worked well in Ireland.

Be well IAN 2411

thir
10-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Don't worry about it. I'm not at my best either. I think I leave a lot out, assuming that others will understand me. Besides, I do tend to be contrary, sometimes.

Aw, you don't mean that ;-)

thir
10-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I saw this same crap with a leaflet that was flying about in Northern Ireland, when i was over there with the UK forces. The target the other end of the rifle and bullit were children holding the tricolour. It was anti UK forces. I believe the Vietmamiese had something similar with anti US forces. It is dangerous propaganda in any ones book, and i believe it does stick in the childrens minds. It worked well in Ireland.

Be well IAN 2411

Propaganda is always disgusting, but to children it is worse. Much worse. It is scary, and takes away your natural right to form your own opinions, becoming instead a tool for others. In worst cases.