PDA

View Full Version : Franco and the Catholic church

thir
10-18-2011, 03:44 PM
I have a post on the 'politics' site called 'Spain's stolen Babies'.

In this it is described how, under the facist regime of Franco in Spain, children were taken from political opponents and put in children's homes for 're-education'. They were given a new name, told their parents were murderers, and taught to love the regime. After Franco there were still a lot of facism in the country, and what happened next was simply stealing babies from the birth clinics. Done by doctors, nuns and priests. The mothers were told their child was dead, and denied seeing it. The babies were then sold.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2059563,00.html as well as a program om BBC 2 today, 18th of October.

It was made very clear that there was a close co-operation between the fascist regime and the Catholic church, and I ask myself WHY? What on earth could they have in common???

I have had thoughts lately that most religions are more cultural than religious, without really having thought it through.

denuseri
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Culture plays an extremely important role in religions.

Barentsz
10-18-2011, 11:42 PM
As a side note...Many catholic priests chose the side of the republicans and paid dearly for it... (read: Antony Beevor, the battle for Spain) . Having said that, the catholic church often supported regimes when it assured their own position..so the article does not surprise me at all...

lucy
10-19-2011, 02:30 AM
Orthodox church in the Soviet Union (and now Russia), Belarus or Serbia, catholic church in Croatia: They all did and still do the same.
Churches are suckers for power. If you're in power, they kiss your ass.

And if a local church dares to do otherwise, like the liberation theologists did in Latin America, you can bet your ass that they'll be put in line by the church's hierarchy asap.

One of the many, many, many reasons why each and ever church shoulda been abolished yesterday rather than today.

Thorne
10-19-2011, 09:16 AM
How many Catholics will read about this and invent some kind of excuse in their minds, so that they can rationalize, or justify, the actions of their church without actually criticizing it? That seems to be the general pattern when the Church is caught doing things like this. Make up excused and go right on sending in your weekly collections.

And it isn't only the Catholics, either. Virtually EVERY religious organization has been outed for some form of abuse or immoral actions, yet the faithful manage to put it aside and keep right on supporting their corrupt leaders. It's almost as bad as politics!