PDA

View Full Version : black cats - just curious

thir
10-30-2011, 11:55 AM
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/black-cats-good-luck-or-bad-luck.html

Are you afraid of black cats, and avoid them? Or do they bring luck? Or are they just beautiful cats?

Any superstitions?

I find myself knocking on wood ever so often..

Thorne
10-30-2011, 07:15 PM
I owned a black cat once. Never bothered me, crossed my path dozens of times a day and didn't bring me any bad luck.

No, wait. Shortly after we got the cat my wife got pregnant. Then she got pregnant again. After we got rid of the cat she stopped getting pregnant! They DO bring bad luck!

And no, I don't have any superstitions. How can you believe any of that when half of the things that are unlucky here are lucky somewhere else?

lucy
12-04-2011, 02:29 AM
I love black cats. Simmered long enough with olives and capers, the way my Italian grandmother used to do it, they really taste great. Although I must admit that it probably doesn't matter whether the cat's been black or a tiger or whatever other color.

Also, eating a cat a day won't keep the doctor away, but it will protect you from all sorts of evil. Apart from totally believing that to be true I'm not much superstitious, though.

Edit: the long simmering is essential. You don't want to end up with trichinosis.

ksst
12-04-2011, 09:11 AM
To me a black cat is the same as any other cat.

ksst
12-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Thorne, you have it backwards. Your cat must have been good luck, otherwise you wouldn't have ended up with a perfect grandchild, right?

denuseri
12-04-2011, 11:21 AM
black cats are soooo cute!

Thorne
12-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Thorne, you have it backwards. Your cat must have been good luck, otherwise you wouldn't have ended up with a perfect grandchild, right?
Well, indirectly I suppose. But it's TWO perfect grandchildren. Which means TWICE the expense. TWICE the babysitting. TWICE the terror.

And OK, yes, twice the love, too!

But you have to remember, the grandkids didn't come until AFTER the cat left. (Long after, for sure, but still...)

Thorne
12-04-2011, 11:56 AM
black cats are soooo cute!
So are lion cubs! Until suddenly they aren't cubs anymore. When you go from being a friend to being a potential meal, it's time to forget about the cute.

MMI
12-11-2011, 06:52 PM
In the UK, black cats are supposed to be lucky.

ksst
12-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Cats are only cute because they're little. If they were the size of tigers they'd be scary. Just try scratching that belly!

Thorne
12-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I've always said you English were backwards! :o

ksst
12-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I really do like cats, even if they are not as nice as dogs.

Thorne
12-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Cats are only cute because they're little. If they were the size of tigers they'd be scary. Just try scratching that belly!
Tigers aren't scary. Unless their hungry. And not behind bars.

ksst
12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Two grandchildren is twice as good, but I suppose it has nothing to do with cats and everything to do with their family tree.

Thorne
12-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Two grandchildren is twice as good, but I suppose it has nothing to do with cats and everything to do with their family tree.
Had both of them over today, and those nuts sure didn't fall far from that tree!

ksst
12-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Awwww!