PDA

View Full Version : Prosthelytizing

ksst
12-24-2011, 10:17 AM
So, this morning my Master was prosthelytized by a Jehoveh's Witness on the phone. They talked so long I thought it was a relative that had called, since I was in the other room couldn't hear much. He was fooled at first because the caller had the same last name as our son's teacher, but figured out pretty quick that though we also know her (the JW lady) family from the area, she was not a relative of the teacher. My Master, the confirmed atheist, had long discussion with her on his many problems with Christianity. I think he was trying for a reverse conversion. She asked if he'd like her to come over and discuss more and he said, no, he rather have a root canal, thank you very much anyway.

So how do you handle these people? Polite, or not so much?

Thorne
12-24-2011, 01:05 PM
So how do you handle these people? Polite, or not so much?
As long as they are polite, I try to be polite as well. I tell them straight up that I'm an atheist, that I have seen no evidence for their god, and that if they want to convince me that what they are selling is the Truth they simply need to provide evidence. They tend to get pretty discouraged when you explain to them that feelings and stories from friends of friends don't count as evidence. And neither does their Bible.

IAN 2411
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
I have to agree with Thorne on this one, i am not really a believer of any God or Prophet, but i supose when my wife died i know i asked God for it to be a mistake. If he is real then i have a lot of issues with him, i supose we all believe in something that is real. It just seemed a little inapropriate at the time to say please Nisson X Trail let it be a mistake, so i picked the one that felt better. I have Jehoveh's Witnesses knocking on my door at least once a month, and when my eldest daughter was at home i used to say, its for you****. [She believes everyone, religious nut] she even frightens the local vicar. However they corner me now, so i listen for a while and take the pamphlet...Watch Tower...I wave good bye as they leave with that satisfied smile, until the next time they have me cornered. It does not hurt to be polite because its free, and all they have done is passed a little time.

Be well IAN 2411

Sexonthebeach
01-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I am usually polite. But everyone has limits and that is something I tend to pick up on. When they are dangerously close to reaching my boundaries, I will simply be a little aloof and hopefully will not feel the need to be rude.

MMI
01-02-2012, 04:25 PM
They use the 'phone now? I just hope they don't get my email address