PDA

View Full Version : "Vado a bordo, cazzo!"

MMI
01-19-2012, 05:13 PM
When the chips are down and the stakes are real, what does it take to be a leader?

I would be interested in people's views as to how people who accept high levels of responsibility should behave when disaster strikes. Should people in authority place themselves at risk in order to save others? Alternatively, should they attempt to secure their own safety first so that they can co-ordinate the rescue of the rest afterwards?

Thorne
01-19-2012, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't expect a captain to go down with his ship. I would, however, expect him to remain aboard until every conceivable means has been exhausted in order to save the lives of his passengers and crew. If even a single passenger remains aboard, and there is any way to rescue her, the captain should be at the forefront of the efforts. The captain should be the last person off of the ship.

There was an incident some time ago with a Greek-flagged cruise ship sinking off the coast of South Africa. That captain, and crew, also abandoned his ship and passengers. Makes me wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of psychological testing for persons placed in such positions of authority. But it's certain that they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. From what I understand, that Greek captain was not. The Greek government refused to turn him over for prosecution. Fortunately, no one died on that ship. This one....

lucy
01-20-2012, 02:44 AM
But hey, he didn't leave ship on purpose. According to his statement, he kinda stumbled and fell into the lifeboat and couldn't get back onto the ship. The bloke clearly deserves our compassion, also for the fact that he apparently didn't get to screw the Moldawian bimbo.

Joking aside: It's their duty and responsibility to make sure that they're passengers are safe. If that is better done while on the bridge of the ship or in a lifeboat is a different question, and one that probably can only be answered afterwards. This bloke, however, was essentially clueless.

And concerning the Italian Coast Guard: Where's that officer been in the past? Why didn't he see to it that cruise ships didn't get too close to Isla Giglio? Now they all screaming murder at the captain, but there are lots of people who have fucked up in the past regarding that matter.

IAN 2411
01-20-2012, 08:52 AM
This bloke, however, was essentially clueless.

I agree with that statement because this Captain just doesn’t add up. He seems to be here there and everywhere except where everyone says he was. Now the crew have started to give a different account of what the prosecution think to be a true account.

And concerning the Italian Coast Guard: Where's that officer been in the past? Why didn't he see to it that cruise ships didn't get too close to Isla Giglio?
Another good point, the locals say that the cruise ships are always coming in close and have been doing so for years. However, now the Coast Guard is screaming at the top of his voice, that the Captain is responsible. The Captain is to blame for the ship hitting the rock and its sinking, but the Coast Guard is responsible for the ship being too close to Isla Giglio. The Coast Guard is guilty by association unless he can prove otherwise.

As to the OP....The Captain unless injured or incapacitated in some other way should remain on the ship until the last person is safe.

Be well IAN 2411

thir
01-20-2012, 11:09 AM
When the chips are down and the stakes are real, what does it take to be a leader?

I would be interested in people's views as to how people who accept high levels of responsibility should behave when disaster strikes. Should people in authority place themselves at risk in order to save others? Alternatively, should they attempt to secure their own safety first so that they can co-ordinate the rescue of the rest afterwards?

I believe that depends entirely on the situation. If you are talking about the Italien ship, certainly the captain should have stayed to organise matters.