PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

ProjectEuropa
01-23-2005, 10:06 AM
I supervised suspending a model in my studio today for a photo shoot, which was something of an experience. The photographer had hired hanging cuffs and a full body harness from a theatre prop warehouse. I guess that is one of the benefits of living in a place like London. The real thing, safe working loads stamped on them and a British Safety Standard stamp. That was a bit of a relief to see and advice I got through this site.

The shoot was hard work or I found it a little stressful as I felt I was the only one detached enough from the event to assess what was going on. The photographer and her assistant were lost in their creativity and the other protagonist who was caning M the model suspended, seemed to be enjoying himself too much and didn’t seem to notice the stress of M. M who has been deeply into BDSM for a long while was told to yell ‘down’ should she feel any discomfort and she’d be taken down immediately. She said she felt incapable of asking to be taken down as she found herself going out of her head a little. I found I had to intervene several times to take M down after about ten to fifteen minutes. Even with the full body harness she was obviously being stressed after ten minutes or so, though she was upside down when she wore that. M said later, it was one hell of an experience and she thought she was suspended for far longer than she had. However everyone felt things went well so it might have just been my anxiety at fearing something going wrong.

A scene with me being the Dom and my sub hanging taking a leather strap on the buttocks has always been a bit of a fantasy of mine, as well as the sub being hung upside down with ready access to her delectable orifices. But after this experience I can’t imagine such a scene being safe with just a Dom and a sub alone, no matter how observant and on the ball the Dom is. M seemed to go from being comfortable to somewhat distressed very quickly and I have never noticed before how long it takes to lower a weight on pulley tackle. It seems to me that one needs back up to do this sort of thing. It seems simple enough in ones mind but the stresses on the model’s body are obviously quite large as I was warned. It was an interesting and rewarding day but I mourn the loss of a fantasy, as I don’t see how one can enjoy a scene with so much potential for something going wrong. If all went well I had the idea in the back of my head that since the pulley tackle is in MY studio I’ve got ample opportunity to fulfill a fantasy.

Maybe it’s my wariness about accidents happening on my patch that stopped me enjoying it in any deliciously perverted way. Has anyone had a real scene like this and enjoyed it safely?

Garnet99
01-23-2005, 11:37 AM
ProjectEuropa,
In a way it might be mixed blessing that you experienced this. It will prevent you from making the same mistakes they did. Making fantasy into reality can't be easy - and now you know at least some of the things NOT to do! :eek:

Good luck!

Dngnkeeper
01-24-2005, 08:44 PM
ProjectEuropa welcome to the wonderful world of the Dungeon Master. Whether you know it that was your role in this scene. From the sound of it you did a pretty good job. As you said every one went home happy and unhurt.

To answer your last question first, yes I have done it, from both sides, and liked it immensely. I still do it but never without help. From my experiance your concerns about doing it one on one are well justified. As you witnessed things can change quickly. As you noted the Top was in topspace, paying attention to what he was doing with the cane, rightly so, but missing the subtle things going on. While the Sub was blistly disconnected from reality while visiting subspace. Thats why your role as DM was so important for all concerned. This occures frequently not only with suspension but in bondage and other types of scenes as well. Its not a failing an anyones part but just one of thoses realities of life. There is an old saying I learned from my gay S&m days, never play alone. Which ment that one on one play, particulary in the S&m world, is dangerious and you should have another person around for safety.

It seems you get credit for several other things too. First suspension is not a beginners game and when you add inversion you really up the safety concerns. Its, in my opinion,the most life threating thing you can do in a scene. First you did your homework and learned the risks, both physical and mechanical. Second you thought through the risks and applied the information you learned in your reasearch and were proactive before the scene began to asure a good outcome. Third you had a safety person, yourself, to lookout after every ones safety and well being. Fourth you acted on the knowledge to avert a problem when trouble did arise. Bravo

All of us are aware of SSC and the concepts but too few of us don't think about RAK (Risk Aware Kink) which teaches us to know and understand the risks involved in our play. It also implys that as Tops or Doms etc. we have studied the technique and are aware of the pitfalls and have a plan to avoid them and can recognize and deal with them if they do occure. As bottoms or subs etc. we will know the risks, be honest about ourselves and our physical and mental strengths and weekness. Take time to ask the tough questions of those we entrust our safety to. And most importantly to say NO when our safety concerns are not met.

Before I go let me take a monent from the personal experience file just to scare the hell out of you. Many years ago two good friends were engaged in some Friday night play which involved inverted suspension and one on one play. After securing the bottom and hoisting him up off the floor till his sholders were just touching the Top went to the wall to get a pair of cuffs for his wrists, to secure them behind his back. In those seconds between letting go of the winch handle and picking up the cuffs he had a massive heart atack that rendered him imoble. Because the bottoms hands had not been secured and because he was in excelent physical condition he was able, in time, to work himself free and call for help. Fortunatly for all involved everyone made it through alive. A couple weeks later the bottom and I tried to recreate the escape with me suspended. The result after about 20 min I was hanging limp and unconsus. Which ment the adverage person probably woulden't been able to manage it and the result would have been two dead friends for me to find on Saturday morning.

ProjectEuropa don't give up on your fantasy but apply what you have learned, set reasonable expectations for the scene, get a friend or two and go for it.

Thanks for posting your wonderfull experience. Got any pictures to share?

ProjectEuropa
01-25-2005, 07:24 AM
ProjectEuropa welcome to the wonderful world of the Dungeon Master. Whether you know it that was your role in this scene. From the sound of it you did a pretty good job. As you said every one went home happy and unhurt.

Thanks for your words of encouragement and your story of caution.

I came late to the wonderful world of BDSM and I am still somewhat of a novice. I approached this photo shoot full of anxiety and I was anxious all the way through the proceedings. I am by nature a cautious person when it comes to physical safety but the further away I get from the event the more I realise I really enjoyed my role. I lamented on my detachment from the excitement of the event but now I think it was that detachment that made it such a rewarding experience.

Thanks for posting your wonderfull experience. Got any pictures to share?

I haven't seen the photos myself yet. The photographer and M the model that was suspended, someone I met a few months ago, approached me about the shoot because my studio was an ideal location with having pulley tackle and space. When I see the photographer again (she promised to come round and show me the photos) I'll ask her if I can post one or two. I'm not sure if they fit the criteria for posting on this site but I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Mobius
01-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks for your words of encouragement and your story of caution.

I came late to the wonderful world of BDSM and I am still somewhat of a novice. I approached this photo shoot full of anxiety and I was anxious all the way through the proceedings. I am by nature a cautious person when it comes to physical safety but the further away I get from the event the more I realise I really enjoyed my role. I lamented on my detachment from the excitement of the event but now I think it was that detachment that made it such a rewarding experience.

I haven't seen the photos myself yet. The photographer and M the model that was suspended, someone I met a few months ago, approached me about the shoot because my studio was an ideal location with having pulley tackle and space. When I see the photographer again (she promised to come round and show me the photos) I'll ask her if I can post one or two. I'm not sure if they fit the criteria for posting on this site but I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

If you have the copyrighters permistion then you can post the pic on the site.