PDA

View Full Version : Should troops have immunity from the laws in Iraq?

thir
01-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Should troops have immunity from the laws in Iraq?

"The killings in Haditha on November 19, 2005, still fuel anger in Iraq and was the primary reason behind demands that U.S. troops not be given immunity from their court system. It is considered among the war's defining moments, further tainting America's reputation when it was already at a low point after the release of photos of prisoner abuse by U.S. soldiers at Abu Ghraib prison."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2090892/Marine-accused-killing-24-unarmed-Iraqi-civilians-reaches-plea-bargain-serve-months-prison.html#ixzz1kMctfEri

StrictMasterD
01-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Yes If we are fighihting in a Foreighn Country so that Country can obtain and retain it's Independence From a Dictor over the years and THEY ASK the Unted States to stay longer the we had palnned then YES our Troops shousd absolutlry be given Immunitey, it would not be like WE are askingto sty there wer are BEING asked to stay there and thus weshouls be given it, if WE decide WE want to remain their longer then that is a different senrio.
The difference being is in Senerio 1 WE ARE ASKED TO STAY the other we ASK to be allowed to stay, if they want US there we ar eEntitled to Imunity, if westay because we wanto that needs to be looked at

Stealth694
01-24-2012, 11:25 AM
If you can guarantee an impartial trial, but an impartial Iraqi court? FORGET IT!
This incident is one of the things that made Iraq a Cluster F--k war.
Nobody knows who is an ally and who is an enemy, and everyone is changing sides daily.
Did anyone check and see if a member of that family was affiliated with insurgents?
No with a govt as corrupt, and fragmented as Iraq it would be best if we kept to the UCMJ ( Uniform Code of Military Justice )
but also allow lawyers from Iraq and other countries to sit in and monitor the trial to make sure justice is done.

IAN 2411
01-24-2012, 12:48 PM
If you can guarantee an impartial trial, but an impartial Iraqi court? FORGET IT!
This incident is one of the things that made Iraq a Cluster F--k war.
Nobody knows who is an ally and who is an enemy, and everyone is changing sides daily.
Did anyone check and see if a member of that family was affiliated with insurgents?
No with a govt as corrupt, and fragmented as Iraq it would be best if we kept to the UCMJ ( Uniform Code of Military Justice )
but also allow lawyers from Iraq and other countries to sit in and monitor the trial to make sure justice is done.

I think that whatever way you want to look at this it will be wrong in the eyes of the other party. Unless the cases are tried by an impartial judge you will never get a satisfactory trial. There are very few international countries that like the UK or their forces, and there are even less that like the Americans. Court Martials are the order of the day with the agrieved parties representative sitting in to give their side. I am not in favour of justice and justice seen to be done. Its a little to much like kissing the ass of the person that is trying to kick yours.

Be well IAN 2411

lucy
01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
After reading this thread (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php/26531-No-matter-WHAT-the-marines-look-after-their-own?p=961341#post961341) I'd have to say no.

Also, if it were just in Iraq, but it's like that everywhere. A few years ago an American fighter pilot fucked up big time. He snapped the cable of a cable car while flying much too low in the Italian Alps. The car of course fell quite a long way, killing several people. I don't remember exactly whether the pilot ever was trialed, but if he was he wasn't convicted.

And that was Italy, member of the NATO, with a more or less functioning judiciary system, not Iraq or Afghanistan.

thir
01-25-2012, 05:06 AM
I think that whatever way you want to look at this it will be wrong in the eyes of the other party. Unless the cases are tried by an impartial judge you will never get a satisfactory trial. There are very few international countries that like the UK or their forces, and there are even less that like the Americans. Court Martials are the order of the day with the agrieved parties representative sitting in to give their side. I am not in favour of justice and justice seen to be done. Its a little to much like kissing the ass of the person that is trying to kick yours.
Be well IAN 2411

It is certainly very complicated! But it seems to me that the impartial judge you talked about is the only reasonable solution.

leo9
01-25-2012, 06:13 AM
I am not in favour of justice and justice seen to be done Its a little to much like kissing the ass of the person that is trying to kick yours.

The problem, as ever, is that if once you support the principle that only the right people should get rights and justice, you have to hope that nobody decides to class you as one of the wrong people.

I've been in a position where someone reckoned they could break the rules with me because I was a bad person. Thank all the bleeding-heart liberals of the past, I live in a country where justice is still available to everyone, not just the right people.

In this case it feels easier because the people you're writing off are a different race a long way away, and not our friends anyhow, so it doesn't matter about them. Until you start trying to get justice for your own people, and someone else a long way away decides it doesn't matter about them.