PDA

View Full Version : NELA FFF Tips

Dog's Lady
01-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Okay, all, I am going to the New England Leather Alliance Fetish Fair Fleamarket in Feb. I have never been to any BDSM event, not even a much, so I am putting out a call for help. Other than the obvious of being friendly, courteous, kind, that sort of thing, any tips on what to do or not to do while I am there? We are trying to go to the Ball that is part of it; any tips on how to dress? Or on how to dress the rest of the time? I'm sure people will figure out I am a newbie, but I want to be a good newbie--sort of the opposite of the "Ugly American" behavior often seen in other countries in which we Americans act in ways we never would at home, ways we would never tolerate at home?

I am going to try to volunteer some, which I find to be a good icebreaker, but any other tips? Y'all have always been so helpful to me before; I'm kinda counting on you again. Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to offer me anything remotely helpful.

Dog's Lady, sadly without her Dog.

brwneydgirl
01-27-2012, 11:23 AM
I've been to that Flea (the one in Boston and the one you're going to in Prov.) and will probably go again this year. The hotel is nice and they usually block all the other patrons from seeing "what's behind the curtain" :) . The ball is formal so a floor-length gown would be appropriate...and surprisingly, people do sort of follow that dress code. There is a photographer there taking pics too...think "prom" style, you know?

Anyway, I've been attending for about 3 years now and it's always a fun time...never enough time to see all the demos and such but I catch the ones that are high on my list. I will say keep your eyes peeled for the Bay State Marauders. The hottest gay men I've ever seen in my life...and total eye candy. Anyway, you've got it right...be nice, open to what you see (and there'll be PLENTY to see) and have a frikken blast!!!

Dog's Lady
01-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks, BEG. I have a black dress in mind-floor length, but the top sort of looks like a corset with spaghetti straps. I wasn't sure if I needed to be in kink-wear the whole weekend or what. We can't afford the Westin, but are looking for somewhere cheaper nearby. We actually learned about it walking through the hotel from the mall to the hockey game-with my daughter and 70-something father-in-law in tow, and I did see that they are very discreet. Maybe I will see you there-I have sent an email offering to volunteer some time at the event, partially to save money and partially to meet people in a low-key way. If anyone else has any suggestions, I would be grateful.