PDA

View Full Version : "God Is An Imaginary Friend"

thir
01-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Colorado Billboard: “God Is An Imaginary Friend”

A coalition of atheist groups in Colorado purchased a series of billboards in Denver and Colorado Springs they hope will spark debate and encourage community gathering and thought.

The billboards will read “God Is An Imaginary Friend-Choose Reality, It Will Be Better For All Of Us.”

"According to Colorado Coalition of Reason (COCORE) one of the motivations for the billboards was a concern that religious individuals feel they have “not only the right, but the obligation to force their religious views on others.” The group cites increased proselytizing in the military, educational systems, and government and growing attacks on the LGBT community and abortion providers as evidence of the ever-expanding influence of religion in our culture.

The group went out of its way to state they were not trying to offend believers. “If you disagree with the sentiments of the sign, please don’t be offended. We are more interested in opening a dialogue than upsetting you. We don’t ask you to stop believing in your versions of a super-natural being. We do ask that you consider not forcing your religious views on others.”"

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/colorado-billboard-god-is-an-imaginary-friend.html#ixzz1kk69qZxY

I had the impression that after Bush the religious movements that used to be very agressive had, all in all, calmed down somewhat. Am I wrong?

I see the atheist movement as in a dilemma: they feel pushed and they want to be heard, and so have catching/provoking phrases on their badges and billboards. But they also do not want to offend. Difficult balance - did they make it?

Thorne
01-28-2012, 07:13 AM
I had the impression that after Bush the religious movements that used to be very agressive had, all in all, calmed down somewhat. Am I wrong?
Yes, you are. They are just as aggressive as ever, even more so. Studies show that church memberships are down 30% over the last decade, with most of the younger generations leaving. Some move on to other religions, or other "spiritual" movements, but many are just ignoring religion altogether. Not necessarily disbelieving in gods, but not believing in religious leaders. The religious groups are starting to feel the pinch and are striking back.

I see the atheist movement as in a dilemma: they feel pushed and they want to be heard, and so have catching/provoking phrases on their badges and billboards. But they also do not want to offend. Difficult balance - did they make it?
Contrary to what theists would have people believe, there is no atheist "religion". There is simply a diverse group of people who do not believe in gods, imaginary friends, spirits, what-have-you. Some avoid confronting religious groups, unless confronted themselves. Some hide within religious groups, out of fear. Some, being called the New (or Gnu) Atheists, are fighting back with signs, such as those mentioned, and others.

They are also fighting back by demanding that state and federal government organizations do NOT promote religion. Read about Jessica Ahlquist (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/27/jessica-ahlquist-prayer-banner-rhode-island-school_n_1237199.html)
In Rhode Island, who has received innumerable threats from supposed "Christians", including threats of physical violence, rape, even death! All because she, and others, want the schools to OBEY THE LAW!

Go here (http://www.freethoughtblogs.com/) for some blogs by a diverse group of people, pretty much all of them professed atheists. Some are more "preachy" than others, but one thing I have found in virtually all of them is that, when railing about the nonsense being spewed by religious bloggers, they invariably provide links to allow their readers to see for themselves. The reverse is seldom true: religious bloggers tend NOT to want their readers learning the truth, it seems.

I would urge everyone, regardless of their faith, to look through those blogs, dig into some of the archives, and find examples of so-called "good" Christians, or "good" Muslims, or "good" Jews, attacking, persecuting, even killing, those who do not believe, or even those who believe differently. See how often these "good" theists will lie to protect their beliefs.