PDA

View Full Version : excercise

Masters_Little_Pet
05-10-2012, 01:43 PM
i met a master recently and he wants me to excercise and become more flexibe. what do i do?

denuseri
05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Have you tried yoga?

Masters_Little_Pet
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
yea ive tried yoga didnt work

VeniVidi
05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
If you are not used to exercise the recommendation is to start with a relatively short session maybe 10 minutes at a time (once or twice a day), then work up from there until you are doing 1/2 hour maybe.

Simple exercises like push-ups, squats, sit-ups, etc. are good enough unless and until you get "serious" about it (so no need to buy machines like exercise bikes for now!). As often is the case, a simple kitchen timer is all you would need.

There is plenty of information on the web about the exercises you can do and of course tons of professional advice as well (so that you can double-check this advice, of course).

VV

CrushersGirl
05-11-2012, 10:59 AM
yoga is what worked for me...of course, everyone is different. best wishes.

Masters_Little_Pet
05-11-2012, 12:05 PM
ok thank you

VeniVidi
05-11-2012, 12:08 PM
The vast majority of males (which include masters, of course) would not consider yoga to be an exercise. I know this is an incorrect viewpoint but it is true nevertheless.

Austerus
05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
VeniVidi: That isn't true here in California. A lot of men do yoga. Hell, around here a lot of men do Pilates.

VeniVidi
05-11-2012, 10:40 PM
VeniVidi: That isn't true here in California. A lot of men do yoga. Hell, around here a lot of men do Pilates.
A lot of Brits do yoga as well Austerus - it is very popular here as far as I know (I wouldn't know about Pilates though *laughs*). If I asked a random sample of 100 men to write down 5 different forms of exercise, how many would include "yoga" in the list - not many I would imagine - in the UK there would be hardly any. I cannot be sure of what the result in California would be because I don't know that part of the world well enough, but am as certain as I can be that it would be nowhere near a majority. I am not disputing that technicality that some yoga practices are often referred to as exercise.

Masters_Little_Pet
05-15-2012, 07:08 AM
whats the difference between pilates and yoga

denuseri
05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Difference No. 1: Origin

The practice of yoga originated in India more than 5,000 years ago. It has evolved over the centuries and cultures into many different types of yoga: Ashtanga, Kripalu, Bikram and Vineyasa, to name just a few. Pilates is a much younger practice, beginning in the mid-20th century by an athlete named Joseph Pilates. He created the exercises as a form of rehabilitation and strengthening. But dance is what made pilates really popular. Dancers around the world began modifying and utilizing the practice to help them become stronger in their training and performance.

Difference No. 2: Mind & Body…and Spirit

Both yoga and pilates bring an understanding that the mind and body are connected. However, yoga adds an additional element to the mix—the spirit. Exploring spirituality is a huge part of yoga practice, especially through meditation. While pilates focuses on creating an understanding that the mind and body are connected and how this can help in everyday life, yoga focuses on the mind/body/spirit connection.

Difference No. 3: The Class

Each class you walk into will be different, so it’s tough to pinpoint specific distinctions, but this is one of the most frequently asked questions, so here goes… Many yoga classes are flexible in routine. Postures, sequences and variations can be combined into tens of thousands of routines to create a class. So it will be up to the style of yoga you practice and the teacher guiding you to decide what’s on the agenda. There are some styles of yoga that have more of a set plan, such as Ashtanga and Bikram.

Pilates classes are a little more structured. Because of this, you will more likely know what to expect when you walk into the door of a pilates class than in a yoga class.
Another element that is often (but not always) brought into a yoga class is meditation. Many yoga classes use a chant or meditation to bring in the focus and dedication at the beginning, and to seal in and appreciate the benefits of the practice at the end.

Difference No. 4: The Workout

In both practices, you will gain strength and flexibility. Pilates classes offer a total body workout but focus on aligning the spine and strengthening the core. The exercises done in pilates classes almost always involve regimented movements to gain core and spine strength. Some classes and one-on-one sessions use machines to gain strength, while others keep you on the mat and use your body’s resistance to build results. In a yoga class, you will work out every muscle in your body equally. Each posture is accompanied by a counter-posture to assure you create balance in your body. While core-strength is definitely an important element in yoga, it is more of a piece of yoga, rather than the entire focus.

Difference No. 5: Breathing Techniques

Breathing and concentration techniques are important to both yoga and pilates practices. However, yoga uses breath work on a very deep level. In yoga, the practice is called the ujjayi breath, where yogis breathe in and out through the nose, matching these deep breaths to the movements and postures. Often in yoga classes, there will be segments dedicated to breath work, called pranayama. In Pilates practices, you inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth.

Which Practice Is for You?

If you are certain you want your practice to be spiritual and are looking to manage your stress, yoga may be the better option for you. If your priority is to focus on your back and core, pilates may be a better fit. If you don't know where to start, try them both. If you are leaning towards one or the other, try them both anyway. That’s the only way to really know which practice you will enjoy and benefit from most.

Masters_Little_Pet
05-16-2012, 03:11 PM
ok thanks

maria32
05-25-2012, 08:37 AM
for flexability, you just need to do a lot of different stretches, the best one for your legs and back, is to sit on the floor, spread your legs as far as you can, keeping your legs straight try to wrap you fingers of both hands around one foot, it is important to sit up stright after and repeat this with each leg at least ten times but no more than 20 when you first start, also leaning backwards over the end of the bed, so your head is near the floor stretches the muscles in your back, and stretch you legs towards the ceiling one at a time, this will help with you core muscles too, hope that helps

deigja
01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
more flexibility for bondage can also be achieved through bondage.. If the Dom is willing to take part in the flexibility training... He gets to ty you and watch you in the bondage ;-)... if you can´t reach a position the Dom can bind as close to it as possible and leave you in it for 15 - 20 minutes max, do it a few days in a row and you will realize that you will come close and closer to the position you wish to achieve.