PDA

View Full Version : Inactive Members

slick41
01-30-2005, 01:46 PM
I often look at Birthdays and the memberlist only to find out that that the member has been inactive for more than a year or the last time they were on was the day they signed up.My suggestion is to start emailing the inactive members and clearing them out or setting a limit of 3 months or be deleted.Thanks for the great sight anyway. Slick :)

nudude
01-31-2005, 09:24 AM
Why? Why do you even bother to check?

This is my first post in prob. about 6 months (I DIDN'T bother checking). I look in from time to time and post from time to time. If someone hasn't posted in 2 to 3 years, chances are they're not coming back. But 3 months is way to short (in my opinion). Personally, I find the birthday function in a BDSM forum - or in just about any forum for that matter - relatively useless. And, unless some poor soul has to go through the DB of names by hand regularly, or the list of poss nick's is running short, I have to ask again: why?

Finding_Fantasy
01-31-2005, 02:32 PM
A clean up of the members list has been done in the past by Jinn, the webmaster. There was a thread to it last year sometime after he did delete nearly 7000 names. If you are interested in veiwing this discussion it is open for the public right here. (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356)

I hope this helps some.

slick41
01-31-2005, 03:29 PM
A clean up of the members list has been done in the past by Jinn, the webmaster. There was a thread to it last year sometime after he did delete nearly 7000 names. If you are interested in veiwing this discussion it is open for the public right here. (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356)

I hope this helps some.

Just wanted to say thanks for the responce and yes I looked at the old thread.Very helpful and I think it is time for a clearing again,I see you post alot so maybe you can suggest it to TG or Jinn also.I have emailed them also.

Thanks again Slick :)

nudude
01-31-2005, 03:36 PM
you into housecleanin', slick?

just kidding. Its good that people are enthused and take it upon themselves to become involved. I do have ta ask again, tho - why?

Nightstriker
01-31-2005, 04:52 PM
I don't know about what this forum is like but with massive member lists of inactive members it can tend to make the forums run slow.

I am for a cleaning but three months is a little short of a time. I would think that two years of inactivity will usually mean that they are not comming back.

Some other good things that come out of cleaning is an easier searchings of the member listings. I would much rather be running through 1000 names than 12,000 names most of which are inactive.

slick41
01-31-2005, 04:53 PM
you into housecleanin', slick?

just kidding. Its good that people are enthused and take it upon themselves to become involved. I do have ta ask again, tho - why?

Has far as the Birthdays,sometimes and interesting name comes across and I want to drop a line to them only to find out that they haven't signed in for a year or two.By no means do I wish anybody to be deleted or denied access to this or any other sight,just curious as why they would go through the process of signing up and never coming back.Maybe 3 months is to short,that was only a suggestion nor do I think you have to post to be active,but signing in occasionally would give a fair base line of active members.Thanks for the feedback,maybe the moderators will look in on this thread and make adjustments. :rolleyes:

Nightstriker
01-31-2005, 05:46 PM
I think that the main reason that most people do not come back is that they come for the personals and then once they have what they want, or don't they leave......Just my opinion.

Finding_Fantasy
01-31-2005, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback,maybe the moderators will look in on this thread and make adjustments. :rolleyes:

Actually, I am one of the moderators, Slick. In fact,, I am the moderator for the comments and suggestions forum. :) The suggestion has been passed on, just so you are aware.

Nudude, Nightstriker is probably correct that too many users slow down the site and having inactives is not going to help matters much. Another answer to you "Why?" is "Why not?" LOL

Barton
02-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Kats and I have been away for some time. This was due to the demands of our business and family.
Although we were away, we were never gone from our fellowship here.
Sometimes other things demand you alter your habits and schedule. Three months is too short a time to declare people inactive. As much as a year might be in order.

Barton