PDA

View Full Version : Is this justice, or an escalation of the troubles?

thir
08-05-2014, 03:47 AM
Indian teenager cuts man's penis off after he attempts to rape her

Police in the Madhepura district of Bihar said the young woman, believed to be aged either 17 or 18, had been raped last month by her uncle, who is known in the local area as a tantric and who performs rituals. When he allegedly tried to assault her a second time, she was prepared and had armed herself with a knife.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/indian-teenager-cuts-mans-penis-off-after-he-attempts-to-rape-her-9648338.html

My first reaction was YEAH, good for you!! Enough is enough.

But is this really a good thing? Is is good that that is what you (apparently) have to do? Is that really the way to solve it? Will this teenager be jailed? Should she be? And what about all the people who do not have a knife on them?? Should we all, or at least Indian women, carry in knife in case of attack??

leo9
08-05-2014, 04:55 AM
On balance, I'd say good, and that's after silencing my inner feminist's victory cheer.

Given that rapes in this setting have frequently involved beatings up to and including murder, it's hardly going to make the level of violence worse. This kind of rape is basically bullying - with all that that implies in the bullies being victims themselves, who deal with their abuse by passing it on to someone weaker - and it's widely held that the only thing that will stop a bully is the threat of force.

It's not a long term solution, in the same way that more guns are not the solution to gun crime. And carrying a knife does not automatically make you safer: as any combat expert will tell you, and as kids in the hood learn every day, a knife you can't use is a weapon for your opponent. But as a short term fix for a very sick situation, it will help. Even if nobody else carries a knife, if a few would-be rapists think twice because she might, there will be a few less rapes as a result.

Ideally, I'd say she should be arrested and tried, even though it sounds like an open and shut case of self defence, just to make it clear that this is within the rule of law. (When someone shoots a burglar or knocks out a mugger, the tabloids are always up in arms when they're arrested and charged: but the whole point is to clear their name legally.) From the sound of it, I'm guessing that one reason the police are making such a heroine of her is that it gives them an excuse to save the community the embarrassment of such a trial.

Thorne
08-05-2014, 08:29 AM
The article doesn't make clear whether or not the girl reported the first rape. I would hazard a guess that, even if she had, little would have been done about it. It would have been a "he said she said" case, and as a "respected" spiritual leader his say would have carried more weight.

But either way, I'm with leo9: not the best way to resolve an issue, but it certainly got the bastard's attention. And with public opinion in India starting to turn against rapists and towards victims, I have to wonder if any place will be safe for him now.

I was reminded of this article (http://boingboing.net/2010/07/22/south-african-doctor.html) from four years ago, which was also hailed, and condemned, by many. Like the knife, it's not a perfect solution, but it does give the victim a choice she doesn't have without it. And who knows? If enough rapists manage to get their dicks shredded, or removed, maybe the authorities will finally enact REAL laws protecting the victims of these crimes. And enforcing them!

Until then, I'm on the side of the women. Protect yourself however you can. And then report the attack.

js207
08-05-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm very much in favor of self-defense, including the use of deadly force when attacked - so on the face of it, I'd say this is a good outcome: he certainly won't be raping anyone else in future!

No law can actually prevent an attack - at best, it might just deter some - for that, your only option is effective self-defense.

thir
08-06-2014, 01:46 PM
But either way, I'm with leo9: not the best way to resolve an issue, but it certainly got the bastard's attention. And with public opinion in India starting to turn against rapists and towards victims, I have to wonder if any place will be safe for him now.

I sincerely doubt that they are any way near that yet! But for that reason I find this action ok.

I was reminded of this article (http://boingboing.net/2010/07/22/south-african-doctor.html) from four years ago, which was also hailed, and condemned, by many. Like the knife, it's not a perfect solution, but it does give the victim a choice she doesn't have without it. And who knows? If enough rapists manage to get their dicks shredded, or removed, maybe the authorities will finally enact REAL laws protecting the victims of these crimes. And enforcing them!

Until then, I'm on the side of the women. Protect yourself however you can. And then report the attack.

I think that thing a great idea, in that it would never harm anyone by mistake. But I wonder if it hurts enough for the victim to get away? If the attacker is trapped inside, you could have a very dangerous situation, and what if there is more than one which seems to be the mode in many places?

However, I realize - a bit unexpectedly - that I am all for the idea of self defense in a quite violent way, especially in countries where the problem is widespread. Talking about does not seem to have much effect. But - will it just make it worse, or will it make it stop??

thir
08-06-2014, 01:48 PM
No law can actually prevent an attack - at best, it might just deter some - for that, your only option is effective self-defense.

True. But a good judicial system has to be better than indifference. It is also about attitudes.

I am all for self defense when possible, but what about all the gang rapes?

Thorne
08-07-2014, 10:59 AM
But I wonder if it hurts enough for the victim to get away? If the attacker is trapped inside, you could have a very dangerous situation, and what if there is more than one which seems to be the mode in many places?
It's my understanding that the hooks inside are like the barbs on a fish hook. They don't prevent insertion, but when the rapist pulls back the condom comes with him, painfully, and stays hooked. It's apparently inserted and removed similar to a tampon, but once attached to the penis cannot be safely removed without medical tools, and is best done by a doctor, who would then report the incident to the police. There were several articles about the device at the time, some of which were more critical of the women who would dare to use them to defend themselves than the rapists who got caught by them. But as I recall, several women were able to escape their attackers because of the device.

As for multiple attackers, I doubt there is anything a single woman could do to protect herself from those. In fact, it would probably be better for her to remove the device herself rather than anger her attackers by injuring one of them.