PDA

View Full Version : Test new chat room

Tiger
02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
I would like to introduce a new chat room. Although it may lack some features provided by IRC chat, it is very easy to use and requires only a browser. And you can see who is in the chat on the story front page and the forum homepage. Feel free to leave your thoughts about it here.

If everything goes well and it does attract more chatters, the old IRC chat will be replaced. Thank you for testing.

http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/webchat/

Jinn

craftygirl
02-13-2005, 06:49 PM
I would like to introduce a new chat room. Although it may lack some features provided by IRC chat, it is very easy to use and requires only a browser. And you can see who is in the chat on the story front page and the forum homepage. Feel free to leave your thoughts about it here.

If everything goes well and it does attract more chatters, the old IRC chat will be replaced. Thank you for testing.

Jinn

Jinn,

Is this up now through the same chat link that I've always used? I ask because I just went in and so far it looks the same.

crafty

GaryWilcox
02-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Is this up now through the same chat link that I've always used? I ask because I just went in and so far it looks the same. I confess-- I've never figured out how to get the chat room working. It always appears as a broken link. I know it's an Internet permissions setting... but I don't know which one!

Tiger
02-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Ahh, forgot the link. Here it is:

It is not the same link as our old chat. Gary, now you should have no trouble to use it since all it needs is a modern browser.

BDSM_Tourguide
02-13-2005, 09:20 PM
It looks pretty neat. Easy to use interface, too.

I guess one should take care to type their nick in correctly when logging in, though, and to use the "logout" button when leaving, as you cannot get back in to fix your typo in your nick or log back in if you did not log out.

learningtopleez
02-13-2005, 11:24 PM
It looks pretty neat. Easy to use interface, too.

I agree with TG!! Only there was no one else there so I made a quick :exit: :D Felt sorta spooky!!! :eek:

But if others are there I will talk...hell I was already talking to the Bot! :p

~Ltp~

wannabeXopsed
02-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Ltp, i had the same feeling, :eek: but when i said i was testing, i got a message that said to STOP from bot :ignore: so go figure, i think maybe it's cuz it's so new and we haven't figured out how to use it. but i will look back again later :D

T

Alex Bragi
02-13-2005, 11:53 PM
It looks fine to me too, very user friendly. I'm sure it will have the desired effect of attracting more chatters.

You know, I could be right off the mark here, but I think perhaps more people would sign on if the chat room was occasionally more structured. I've noticed, in chat rooms, all too often once the introductions are done many people seem lost what to say/type next, especially if they're new. Where as rooms that have a specific topic to discuss often seem more active and interesting. It doesn't have to be every day. Just once a week - a little icebreaker to get people interested and interacting with others.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting all of you on line at some time in the future.

:)

Donatien
02-14-2005, 12:13 AM

Jinn

I have tried it out and it seems simple to use, although I was all alone!

To be successul I think it will need more advertising in the forum.

I also think that Alex's idea of some focus for the chat at least part of the time is an excellent one, my impression of the existing forum is similar to hers.

Donatien

Tiger
02-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I am glad that people welcome this new feature. There are two places you can check who is in the chat rooms: one is on story front page, one is on the forum home page. You can see how many people is in the chat room.

I didn't set to require registration to chat so that people can get in to have a lot without too much trouble. If you close your chatroom window without logout, you will be automatically logout after 10 minutes.

After the chatroom passes the function and pressure test, we can organize some special chat topics hosted by some people who are knowledgable in those topics.

Jinn

albear
02-14-2005, 01:15 AM
I got the same error message about six times in a row: The requested URL /webchat/text/html was not found on this server. I just followed the link, but I can't get it to work. If the old chatroom is disbanded and people either can't get this new one to work, or don't want a chat running off their browsers, does that mean we should start our own chatroom? Because there are a lot of regular users of the irc.bdsm-net.com chatroom that don't browse the forums here, and a lot of people who have come in from other IRC chatrooms that won't be in the new chat.

Also, I haven't seen it yet, but if you quit and it logs you out automatically after ten minutes, does that mean no one can see you leave until it logs you out? Because you could be talking (and poking, and wondering why the person is being so rude ;) ) for ten minutes before you realise they've left.

I'm going to have to try get it working and check it out!

erotic_nibbles
02-14-2005, 03:14 AM
I tried it out tonight.....GW dragged me in....lol....but it was only him and me and one other person and the other person wasn't talking!

But it looked like a good set up....easy to use....I like that you have to be registered here to use it.....that should keep the troublemakers out

Thank you Jinn! :)

~~nibbles~~

funtime37
02-14-2005, 12:36 PM
i like it very much. very easy to use. i hope to see a lot of people in there. it should be very easy for everyone, even me.

Dngnkeeper
02-14-2005, 06:51 PM
It looks fine to me too, very user friendly. I'm sure it will have the desired effect of attracting more chatters.

You know, I could be right off the mark here, but I think perhaps more people would sign on if the chat room was occasionally more structured. I've noticed, in chat rooms, all too often once the introductions are done many people seem lost what to say/type next, especially if they're new. Where as rooms that have a specific topic to discuss often seem more active and interesting. It doesn't have to be every day. Just once a week - a little icebreaker to get people interested and interacting with others.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting all of you on line at some time in the future.

:)

Alex thats a great idea. Back in the good old days BI the HSX forum on compuserve would have moderated chats on some topic each week. They were immencly popular. HHmm could work here. So I guess the next question is what is the best time for them. We have Europe and Austraila about 12 hours apart with the Americas stuck in between.

As for suggestions on Jinn's new toy there a couple of things I can think of. First is can the user database be conected to the forum database? That way the same user ID, password, avitar and profile work for both. Another has to do with the total lack of smilies in the chatroom. Is it possible to import the great collection of the forum to the chat program? The third is the user interface. Pretty bland and not consistant with look and feel of the site. I know its an open source program but the support section shows several customized UIs so I know it can be done.

Jinn rock on...

redEva
02-14-2005, 07:01 PM
LOVE IT!!!

Come one and all!

Tiger
02-14-2005, 10:20 PM
The integration of the chat user database with the forum is not a easy task. But I already added more smilies and 3 more user interface (design).

The choice of time will be a tough one. The solution could be find 3 hosts at 3 different regions, Europe, Austraila and America. We will need to get more organized to do this.

albear
02-15-2005, 01:22 AM
I still can't get it to work, anyone got any techy advice? I'm getting the same error message, and I can get into the room, and I can see myself in the users list, but I can't say anything, and I can't see anything anyone says. Help! :help:

Tiger
02-15-2005, 08:57 PM
I still can't get it to work, anyone got any techy advice? I'm getting the same error message, and I can get into the room, and I can see myself in the users list, but I can't say anything, and I can't see anything anyone says. Help! :help:

The IRC chatroom is still there. I will keep it there until everything is proved working well for the webchat. Then, I will notify the IRC server about the closure of that channel. You are welcome to open a new channel but I will only use the webchat as the official chat place of this site.

If you don't want to be rude, you can always click "logout" before you close the browser.

I don't know what went wrong with your situation. Can you link to the following address?
http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/webchat/index.php
What kind of browser you are using? I only tested it on Internet Explorer 5.5+ and the newest version of Firefox. If you can get a screen capture of the error you encountered, it may help me to understand your situation.

Jinn

truckinnhorsin
02-16-2005, 11:54 AM
arghhh well i was in.. and it was all good.. and cool.. n then i hit backspace, apparently when i wasnt sposed to.. n it took me out, only like BDSM TG said, if you dont log out your name stays in.... and now idk what to do -tearing up- grah.

i suck.

Teni

BDSM_Tourguide
02-16-2005, 11:57 AM
arghhh well i was in.. and it was all good.. and cool.. n then i hit backspace, apparently when i wasnt sposed to.. n it took me out, only like BDSM TG said, if you dont log out your name stays in.... and now idk what to do -tearing up- grah.

Wait ten minutes. It'll log you out automatically.

i suck.

Is that a proposition? LOL :D

truckinnhorsin
02-16-2005, 01:00 PM
lol.. well Sire and i haven't discussed sharing of His slave yet.... lol ;)

perhaps just a statement??

Teni

truckinnhorsin
02-16-2005, 01:01 PM
ok wth... why cant i backspace text?? what if i change my mind abt what i wanna write? -growling- did i mention i suck??

Teni

Tiger
02-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Do you still have the problem? Backspace text is a basic function and it works for me. What browser do you use?

Jinn

BDSM_Tourguide
02-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Do you still have the problem? Backspace text is a basic function and it works for me. What browser do you use?

Jinn

When a user pushes the backspace button when they're cursor is not in a text box, it acts like the back button on their browser. It's a standard feature for IE.

truckinnhorsin
02-16-2005, 07:27 PM
the first time that was the case, the second time i was definitely (or should have been) in the text box, because i was mid type. But after that it worked fine. so i dont know? lol it seems to work now so im not so worried.

it looks awesome btw

teni

albear
02-17-2005, 05:08 AM
I use safari, but I got it working by changing it from continous stream to the one where it updates every few seconds. It's kind of annoying when you're typing something and the browser refreshes and you have to wait for it. Also, I noticed a few people trying to use IRC commands. The upside was I got to speak to nibbles and Alex Bragi :D

Tiger
02-17-2005, 09:26 AM
For Mac user, there were reports that the chat doesn't work with Safari and IE 5.x, you will get blank chat window. But does work with Netscape 7. I suppose Firefox should work too.

Many IRC functions will not work here. I can setup some simple command like /me or /help. If you see the needs of any important commands, please let me know.

littleslut
02-17-2005, 09:41 AM
If your having problems with the new chat room the you may be able to fix them by changing the chat type from continuous to Js-stream emulator ( the one below continuous on the list ) and it should work for you even if there is a little delay in the script.
Well it worked for me anyway :D

truckinnhorsin
02-17-2005, 01:44 PM
i'm your mozilla firefox rep. lol. works fine.. other than that whole random backspace glitch.. (which seems ok now)

Teni

erotic_nibbles
02-17-2005, 07:29 PM
For Mac user, there were reports that the chat doesn't work with Safari and IE 5.x, you will get blank chat window. But does work with Netscape 7. I suppose Firefox should work too.

Many IRC functions will not work here. I can setup some simple command like /me or /help. If you see the needs of any important commands, please let me know.

The "/me" command already works in there, Jinn.

Hey albear! It was great to talk with you too. :).....And wasn't Alex a blast in there?......I laughed so hard the other night, it was really fun with all of us in there....hope we can do it again soon!

~~nibbles~~

Chuckdom19
02-17-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm using Mac OS 9.2 with Internet Explorer 5.1.7. No problem with chatroom at all.

Chksng19

Katmandu
02-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Except, of course, you are limited to the number of words to type in....

Tiger
03-01-2005, 04:40 AM
I just upgraded the chat program to solve some web browser compatibility problem. This update will also eliminate the issue with firewall since the chat now is using the same port as the web browser. This means you will have access to the chat as long as you can visit our webpage!

So enjoy!

Jinn

Tiger
03-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Sorry the upgrade has some problem with it. I am still working on it.

Xelebes
03-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Tried it, but right now I can only use IRC for larger conversations. Can't use other programs to hold chatrooms. Must be habit. But still trying.

I will attempt to use it in IE to see if it any better.