PDA

View Full Version : Is this really good news?

thir
05-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Afghan trial begins for 49 people suspected in mob killing of woman

The opening of the trial at Afghanistan’s primary court was broadcast live on nationwide television. The suspects all face charges relating to the 19 March killing of a 27-year-old woman named Farkhunda.

Prosecutors have alleged that Farkhunda was beaten to death in a frenzied attack sparked by a bogus accusation that she had burned a copy of the Quran.

The killing shocked many Afghans, though some public and religious figures said it would have been justified if she in fact had damaged a copy of the Muslim holy book.

The incident sparked nationwide outrage and soul-searching, as well as a civil society movement to limit the power of clerics, strengthen the rule of law and improve women’s rights.

Afghanistan’s judicial system has long faced criticism for its inability to offer the majority of Afghans access to justice. Women especially are sidelined, despite constitutional guarantees of equality and protection from violence, a recent report by the United Nations concluded.

The attack on Farkhunda was widely seen as symptomatic of the general low regard for women in Afghan society, where violence against women often goes unpunished.

Afghan trial begins for 49 people suspected in mob killing of woman | World news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/02/afghan-trial-begins-49-suspects-police-brutal-mob-killing-woman-farkhunda)

I can barely imagine a worse case than something like this. Enough said on that score.

But years back this would not be news, it would not have brought anyone to justice, it would not have sent chock waves reverberating around the Afghanistan society.

Is this good news in bad news? Real change, or the start of one?

Thorne
05-03-2015, 06:11 AM
First I'm hearing of this, so I'm not sure what's going on, but from the sound of it I would probably say it's good news. The fact that they are even attempting to try those people for this is at least encouraging. Of course, whether they will actually convict anyone is debatable, and even if they DO convict, any kind of penalty other than a slap on the wrist would be astounding. After all, by their own religion, the victim was 'only' a woman, and she WAS accused of burning their magic book.