PDA

View Full Version : Portugal decriminalised drugs – hardly anyone dies from overdosi

thir
06-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Portugal decriminalised drugs 14 years ago – and now hardly anyone dies from overdosing

Portugal decriminalised the use of all drugs in 2001. Weed, cocaine, heroin, you name it — Portugal decided to treat possession and use of small quantities of these drugs as a public health issue, not a criminal one. The drugs were still illegal, of course. But now getting caught with them meant a small fine and maybe a referral to a treatment program — not jail time and a criminal record.

Among Portuguese adults, there are 3 drug overdose deaths for every 1,000,000 citizens. Comparable numbers in other countries range from 10.2 per million in the Netherlands to 44.6 per million in the UK, all the way up to 126.8 per million in Estonia. The EU average is 17.3 per million.

Perhaps more significantly, the report notes that the use of "legal highs" – like so-called "synthetic" marijuana, "bath salts" and the like – is lower in Portugal than in any of the other countries for which reliable data exists.

"it's very difficult to identify a causal link between decriminalisation by itself and the positive tendencies we have seen."

Still, it's very clear that decriminalisation hasn't had the severe consequences that its opponents predicted. As the Transform Drug Policy Institute says in its analysis of Portugal's drug laws, "The reality is that Portugal’s drug situation has improved significantly in several key areas. Most notably, HIV infections and drug-related deaths have decreased, while the dramatic rise in use feared by some has failed to materialise."

Portugal decriminalised drugs 14 years ago (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-decriminalised-drugs-14-years-ago--and-now-hardly-anyone-dies-from-overdosing-10301780.html)

An example to follow??? Certainly it is interesting, and the whole problem of criminals cartels in parts of the world might vanish or get less with such a change.

What do you think?

leo9
06-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Well, duh. This is the result that always appears when a government has the guts to do this. The "War on Drugs," like the "War on Terror," is a purely political fantasy with no basis in reality. Experts who point out the facts tend to lose their jobs, at the very least.

slaveboy 6
06-13-2015, 09:10 AM
I agree that the "War On Drugs" could very well be settled by decriminalizing drugs and the cartels would be put out of business. In reality,however, I don't see that happening in the U.S., especially because of how conservative Congress has become. The way I look at it, if someone wants to take any drug in their own place of residence, the government should not interfere. I wonder how the Supreme Court would rule if that case ever came before them.

However, comparing that to the "War On Terror" is quite a different story. The 9/11 attacks were not imaginged, or made-up. Al-Quida, ISS and Boko Harem are real threats and should not be taken lightly.

Sarai.K82
10-08-2015, 02:50 PM
I didn't know this about Portugal. I did some quick research and it certainly seems like something worth exploring. I know the law never stopped me from experimenting in the past.

gkp00co
11-25-2015, 08:35 PM
In reality,however, I don't see that happening in the U.S., especially because of how conservative Congress has become.

You would do well to think your position through. True conservatives actually abhor throwing good money after bad. That is precisely the reason why William F. Buckley, Jr. and Thomas Sowell published op-ed pieces in the late '80s suggesting full drug legalization.

The true problem is that most Democrats and Republicans are Progressive Statists at heart who believe the illusion that they can control everything in pursuit of their imaginary Utopia. All that stands in their way is the Constitution and that pesky Bill of Rights, but they're working to patch those bugs in the system.