PDA

View Full Version : sabina: APPLICATION

sabina1
03-05-2016, 04:01 AM
*puts down my green laptop bag, stands around nervously at the back of the line*

*when it's my turn to speak up, I do so in a clear voice*

I am sabina.
Once, eons ago, I was part of a writers forum and completed the first chapter of a book I'd love to complete one day.

I have 3 stories in total posted on an online story site. (This happened in the time the Library was down, so I never submitted it here.
Personally I believe that only one, perhaps two of those stories are actually even nearly acceptable.

The 3 stories are all written with a strong Male Dom/femsub tone, but I have dreams of extending that somewhat.
My grammar is often not as strong and as flowing as I would like, but my real interest is learning how to grow a believable, multifaceted character. Surely there must be trips and tricks?

I would say my level falls somewhere between newbie and ok-ish.

I trust that I answered most of the questions and look forward to hearing from You.

Sabina

Numinosity
03-05-2016, 04:29 AM
I’m not a great writer myself, but in my opinion the most important part in creating good characters is to give them believable and story affecting flaws. Character strengths are great, but in my experience, most positive traits end up becoming little more than chekhov’s guns narrative-wise.

A great way to get more characterization once you have given characters in your story flaws is to make the character’s flaws play off one another. Giving characters little quirks could also help create the illusion that there are more to the characters than what is being written (George R.R. Martins Iceberg being ice on a raft). Of course this comes at the cost of pacing, so watch out there.

This was just the things that came to my mind when reading your post. I might come up with more later, or go more in-depth of what I consider a great character. Anyways hope this was somewhat helpful for you.

CaptainBB
03-05-2016, 04:52 AM
Could we read these stories?
Also, what is the synopsis of your book?

TheDeSade
03-05-2016, 05:09 AM
Sabina. Thank you for your application. I too, am more than a little interested in your stories and your book start. That might be a good place to start. The best way to get better at writing is to write and to read. Read the stories, books and authors that you really like and who are successful in their genre. And write. Always write.

I will get you access to the closed portions of the Univerisity and get you on the rolls. Thank you again for applying. I will see you in the classrooms!

TDS

sabina1
03-07-2016, 08:40 PM
I’m not a great writer myself, but in my opinion the most important part in creating good characters is to give them believable and story affecting flaws. Character strengths are great, but in my experience, most positive traits end up becoming little more than chekhov’s guns narrative-wise.

A great way to get more characterization once you have given characters in your story flaws is to make the character’s flaws play off one another. Giving characters little quirks could also help create the illusion that there are more to the characters than what is being written (George R.R. Martins Iceberg being ice on a raft). Of course this comes at the cost of pacing, so watch out there.

This was just the things that came to my mind when reading your post. I might come up with more later, or go more in-depth of what I consider a great character. Anyways hope this was somewhat helpful for you.

Thank you for the advice, Numinosity. It has indeed been helpful.
I find that writing a full rounded main character is something I can sometimes get right. It is the other characters that often feel flat. Perhaps a matter of creating proper back stories for each of them?

sabina1
03-07-2016, 08:41 PM

Thank you for the advice, Numinosity. It has indeed been helpful.
I find that writing a full rounded main character is something I can sometimes get right. It is the other characters that often feel flat. Perhaps a matter of creating proper back stories for each of them?

TheDeSade
03-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Sabina, There is a lesson in the creative writing lab concerning character development and it discusses some techniques for developing 3 dimensional believable characters. This is an area where most aspiring writers fall short. I suggest you read that lesson and look at some of the information that is available there. THen we can discuss and work on character development tools and techniques.

TDS